CA - Emma Barker, 18 mos, suffocated, Lancaster, 18 March 2009 #1

Status
Not open for further replies.

cali_mommy

Reaction score
Authorities Thursday asked for the public's help in finding an 18-month-old girl whose mother said she was knocked out at a Lancaster Park and somehow ended up in Palmdale, where she awoke to find her daughter missing.

"It's unclear if it's simply a missing-persons case, or if a kidnapping occurred. It's all under investigation," Sgt. Diane Hecht of the Sheriff's Headquarters Bureau said. More at link http://cbs2.com/local/lancaster.palmdale.abduction.2.962925.html I just seen this on the News, and a child's body has been discovered.

Sheriff officials say missing toddler Emma Leigh Barker, 18 months, was found dead. Her mother, a resident of the high desert, reported her missing Wednesday.

The girl’s mother, Stacy Barker, said that she was knocked unconscious after hitting her head on the steering wheel of her car at Lancaster Park and awoke hours later at a Palmdale park-n-ride with her daughter missing. The mother told detectives that she was at Lancaster City Park on Wednesday sometime after 5 p.m. when she was placing her daughter in a car seat and hit her head.

She told detectives that she awoke about 10:30 p.m., slumped over in the seat of her car at a Palmdale park-and-ride, and discovered Emma was missing. The mother's brother called authorities, and deputies were dispatched to the Avenue S Park-n-Ride.

Deputies found the mother semiconscious and partially undressed with visible contusions on her head, officials said.

--Richard Winton

Updated, 1:26 p.m.: L.A. Sheriff's Department spokesman Steve Whitmore says that, according to investigators, a formal identification that the deceased child is Emma Barker is still pending.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2009/03/sheriff-officia.html

Sheriff officials say missing toddler Emma Leigh Barker, 18 months, was found dead. Her mother, a resident of the high desert, reported her missing Wednesday.

The girl’s mother, Stacy Barker, said that she was knocked unconscious after hitting her head on the steering wheel of her car at Lancaster Park and awoke hours later at a Palmdale park-n-ride with her daughter missing. The mother told detectives that she was at Lancaster City Park on Wednesday sometime after 5 p.m. when she was placing her daughter in a car seat and hit her head.

She told detectives that she awoke about 10:30 p.m., slumped over in the seat of her car at a Palmdale park-and-ride, and discovered Emma was missing. The mother's brother called authorities, and deputies were dispatched to the Avenue S Park-n-Ride.

Deputies found the mother semiconscious and partially undressed with visible contusions on her head, officials said.

--Richard Winton

Updated, 1:26 p.m.: L.A. Sheriff's Department spokesman Steve Whitmore says that, according to investigators, a formal identification that the deceased child is Emma Barker is still pending.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2009/03/sheriff-officia.html

Thanks for the link SPorky! This is a very interesting case, I don't know enough about the case to form an opinion, but something is not right. Do you have an opinion either way?? This happened about an hour from me, very scary.

IMO The mothers story is just strange! And how do you knock yourself out on the steering wheel putting a 18 month old in the car who would be sitting in the backseat. I mean someone could have come up behind her and knocked her out. But they were at a park wouldn't there be a witness?

I will be following this one to see what new info develops.

IMO The mothers story is just strange! And how do you knock yourself out on the steering wheel putting a 18 month old in the car who would be sitting in the backseat. I mean someone could have come up behind her and knocked her out. But they were at a park wouldn't there be a witness?

Yes her story is very strange. I just don't understand how you can be knocked out for several hours?? I will be following this case for sure, especially since it's so close to home.

I would love to see a picture of the mother. You can tell alot about someone with just a picture.

I would love to see a picture of the mother. You can tell alot about someone with just a picture.

The mother is 20 that's all I know so far. There is a news conference on right now.

Did they release any new info at the news conference? I can't find anything online.

Did they release any new info at the news conference? I can't find anything online.

No new info! Just said the mother is not considered a suspect AT THE MOMENT!! Very frustrating!! Iam off to look for her myspace.

Thanks for the link. Beautiful little baby.

I'm trying not to make judgements here, but I remember when I was hit in the forehead when the back of an SUV trunk slammed down on me.

It was so painful and shook me up, yet I drove home and put ice on it. I never passed out. After hearing the mom's story of hitting her head on the steering wheel, I can't imagine her being knocked out. JMO

According to her Myspace she has a NEW someone special in her life. That's NOT a good sign in a case like this. IMO

Thanks for the link. Beautiful little baby.

I'm trying not to make judgements here, but I remember when I was hit in the forehead when the back of an SUV trunk slammed down on me.

It was so painful and shook me up, yet I drove home and put ice on it. I never passed out. After hearing the mom's story of hitting her head on the steering wheel, I can't imagine her being knocked out. JMO

I think it depends on the person. I've bumped my head and passed out before, but I tend to pass out easily. Besides, some are more hard headed than others:crazy:

I'm withholding judgment for now.

Call me skeptical but.... I find this scenario extremely hard to buy.

From the LA Times article:
The girl’s mother, Stacy Barker, said that she was knocked unconscious after hitting her head on the steering wheel of her car at Lancaster Park and awoke hours later at a Palmdale park-n-ride with her daughter missing.
Guess my question is, outside of a car accident, how does one get manage to hit their head on a steering wheel so hard they are knocked unconscious for several hours??? Sorry, I'm not buying it.

I think it depends on the person. I've bumped my head and passed out before, but I tend to pass out easily. Besides, some are more hard headed than others:crazy:

I'm withholding judgment for now.

That's a good point. But were you passed out for minutes or hours?? Being passed out for hours is not normal IMO. I really don't know what to think about the Mom, but something is OFF with her story IMO.

Call me skeptical but.... I find this scenario extremely hard to buy.

From the LA Times article:
The girl’s mother, Stacy Barker, said that she was knocked unconscious after hitting her head on the steering wheel of her car at Lancaster Park and awoke hours later at a Palmdale park-n-ride with her daughter missing.
Guess my question is, outside of a car accident, how does one get manage to hit their head on a steering wheel so hard they are knocked unconscious for several hours??? Sorry, I'm not buying it.

Great minds think alike LoL. Supposedly in one of the articles it states she was partially clothed when she came too hours later. That's a HUGE red flag to me.

That's a good point. But were you passed out for minutes or hours?? Being passed out for hours is not normal IMO. I really don't know what to think about the Mom, but something is OFF with her story IMO.

I wonder if LE had her go to the hospital to check out her "head injury" that knocked her out for hours? She was only partially clothed, did they check her at a hospital for any assault on her as well?

I'm going to guess mom killed her daughter and made the rest up. I could be wrong, but this is usually how these things go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
branditau.wareham72@gmail