Websleuths
Go Back   Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community > Current Events > Crimes in the News

Notices

Crimes in the News Read and comment about current crimes committed. Remember the copyright laws when posting news stories!

Old 04-03-2009, 02:58 PM

Mother Stabs 2 yr. old Toddler with scissors

Mom Charged In Stabbing Said Cult Was Stalking Her

Susan Johnson, 38, allegedly stabbed her 2-year-old daughter in the torso, neck and head.

A mother was arrested late Wednesday night, for allegedly stabbing her 2-year-old daughter with a pair of scissors and then trying to strangle her. According to officials, the woman claimed a cult was stalking her.

The violence broke out inside the laundry room of the Heywood-Wakefield Place apartment building. Gardner police say two residents and a security guard helped save the little girl after hearing the commotion.

According to police, 38-year-old Susan Johnson stabbed the child in the torso, neck and head.

The woman then allegedly grabbed a dryer cord and tried to strangle her daughter. "The woman had a power cord from the dryer wrapped around the little girl's throat. The girl was full of blood… I thought she might already be dead," said Real Belliveau, who helped save the little girl. "Swearing… said she was going to kill the kid. 'I have to kill her. I have to kill her.'"

Police have released the chilling 911 call placed by the security guard who discovered a mother attacking her daughter with a pair of scissors.

Woman: Die, Die!

Security Guard: Stop! I need a police officer, 192 Central St., 4th floor. I got a woman in here that's stabbing herself and a child.

Dispatcher: OK, stabbing her and a child?

Security Guard: I'm trying to get the knife away from her if I can. (Screams)

Security Guard: There was a woman here in the laundry room, stabbing herself and a little boy with a pair of scissors. I just got the scissors away from her.

Dispatcher: How's the boy?

Security Guard: He's alive, he's cut… he's covered in blood.

Dispatcher: Stay on the line with me.

Security Guard: Ma'am! Stop! Stop! She's got some kind of spray. She's trying to spray me now… and she's trying to wrap her cord around the kid's neck.

TODDLER HAD OVER 100 WOUNDS

The 2-year-old was taken to Henry Heywood Hospital, and then transferred to UMass Memorial Medical Center where she is in stable condition. Police say she had in excess of 100 superficial wounds and puncture wounds to her body. "There was a lot of small puncture wounds on the child, and there were a lot," said Gardner Police Chief Neil Erickson.

MOTHER SAID CULT WAS STALKING HER

Police say Johnson has some mental issues. "She has mentioned a couple of times in regards to a cult, and witchcraft and some mention about helicopters circling, so she definitely has some problems," said Erickson.

Her defense attorney, Peter Binder, said Johnson went to Gardner to visit her father. She left her father's house and thought she was being followed by a cult. In fear, she ended up inside the Heywood-Wakefield Place apartment building because it was big. "Really no recollection of what happened," said Binder. "She seems to be very paranoid."

Johnson apparently bought the scissors used in the alleged at a nearby store to cut her daughter's hair to disguise her.

Johnson was in the process of moving to Gardner. The apartment building's property manager and police say Johnson has no association with anyone in the building where the attack happened.

The little girl is now in state custody. The department of children and families did visit Johnson's home in Turners Falls on Tuesday, but she wouldn't let them in. Police did a welfare check on the child and said she was fine at the time.

Johnson was arraigned on Thursday. A competency hearing was ordered to be held in the next couple of weeks.

In the meantime, Johnson is being held on $100,000 cash bail.

http://wbztv.com/video/?id=74842@wbz.dayport.com
Old 04-03-2009, 03:11 PM

Again another one of these stories that you just can't comprehend. It seems the mom has some mental issues, I hope the baby is safe here on out, away from her!

What a horrible horrible thing for anyone to have to witness and stop. Thank God they were able to stop her though!
The Following User Says Thank You to AmyinTheHam For This Useful Post:
Old 04-03-2009, 06:33 PM

http://www.abc2news.com/news/local/s...Q.cspx?rss=702

GARDNER, Mass. (AP) -- A woman who believes she was being stalked by a cult has been charged with stabbing her 2-year-old daughter 100 times with scissors, her lawyer and police have said, and can be heard yelling "Die! Die!" on a 911 call.

Susan Johnson's screams can be heard on the 911 call made by a security guard who helped to subdue her in a laundry room at a Gardner apartment building Wednesday night.

Johnson, 38, also used an electrical cord from a dryer to try and strangle the toddler, police said, but the security guard and two residents separated mother and child just before police arrived.

"I heard a woman screaming very loudly that she was going to 'Kill, kill, I have to kill you, Die, die, die,"' said resident Real Belliveau, 65, who lives just down the hall from the laundry room. He was watching a Boston Celtics game on TV when he heard the commotion.
Old 04-03-2009, 07:05 PM

UNCUT: Witness Talks About Saving Baby

http://www.thebostonchannel.com/vide...917/index.html
Old 04-03-2009, 07:19 PM
It's never to late to be who you could have been

That poor baby! I cannot even imagine what she must have been feeling and thinking. Thank God that the security guard was there to call 911. I am praying that the little one makes a full recovery and gets placed in a loving home.
Old 04-03-2009, 07:40 PM

well yet again another poor innocent has been harmed maimed for life ..i hope that the baby gets to go to a family that really will love her ..god doesnt put children on earth to be harmed they are to be cherished and my heart breaks everytime i read yet another baby has been harmed .. im going to hold my golden haired angel now and thank god i have her
Old 04-03-2009, 10:26 PM
These boys are my heartstrings!

take a look at this woman.

http://www.wbz.com/Mother-charged-wi...ar-old/4132137
Old 04-03-2009, 10:37 PM
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovejac View Post
so scary looking. so sad about this little girl.
Old 04-03-2009, 11:05 PM

How terribly sad that poor little baby. Once again another one of these stories that you just can't comprehend. What really pizzs me off is that she will probably get off with consoling, maybe a short stay in a metal health clinic and probation. The reason I say this is Mass. Child Abuse Laws Stink. Also were going back about 16yrs. ago there was a woman here in Pittsfield, Ma. I can't recall the first name but the last name was Bates I believe the street it happened on was Crane Ave. She did this same horrific act to her two and tried setting the house on fire. I bring this up for 2 reasons what this mother, I mean monster did is so copy cat of what happened here. With the exception of the fire and cross this mother drew on the wall. She only received probation, consoling, and short stay in a mental hospital. While these 2 children get to live with physical and emotional pain everyday. I will be praying for this poor baby.
Also here's a link to the article in are local paperhttp://www.berkshireeagle.com
Old 04-03-2009, 11:23 PM
Shadow Catcher

From my read, this sounds like it may turn out to be one of those folie à deux cases where the woman's delusions of the cult chasing her were reified by her treating therapist. Sadly, that area seems to be rather thick with so-called "cult & ritual trauma experts" who seem more intent on proving there is a world-wide government-run cult conspiracy than ethically treating their troubled patients.
Old 04-04-2009, 02:10 AM
These boys are my heartstrings!

http://news.bostonherald.com/news/re...icleid=1163355

Quote:
The father of a woman who is charged with savagely stabbing her dazed 2-year-old daughter with scissors reported the little girl missing minutes before police received a chilling 911 call in which the mother can be heard shrieking “Die! Die! Die
Old 04-04-2009, 02:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovejac View Post
“The child never shed a tear, never cried out,” Barrieau said.

I wish I could hold her.
The Following User Says Thank You to capoly For This Useful Post: