Websleuths
Go Back   Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community > Crimes and Trials > Archived Cases - Appeals, Books and Updates > Sandra Cantu

Notices

Sandra Cantu Missing from her home in Tracy, CA., body recovered in a nearby irrigation pond.

Closed Thread

Old 04-10-2009, 05:58 PM
always. SS~

Melissa Huckaby

Woman in mobile home park reported missing suitcase

A Sunday school teacher said someone took her black rolling suitcase from the Orchard Estates Mobile Home Park on the day 8-year-old murder victim Sandra Cantu disappeared.

It’s a huge suitcase, 28-year-old Melissa Huckaby said in a phone interview today, waterproof, charcoal-trimmed and has an Eddie Bauer logo on the front.

Police have yet to confirm whether it’s the same one found Monday morning that contained Sandra’s dead body.

~snip~

Farmworkers discovered a suitcase that generally matches that description submerged in a dairy lagoon two miles north of mobile home park where Sandra lived. Huckaby has lived there, too, for a year with her grandparents Clifford Lane and Connie Lawless, after having moved up from Southern California, she said.

Huckaby teaches Sunday school at Clover Road Baptist Church, her grandfather’s church just down the street from the mobile home park. She spruces up the church classroom every few months, she said, and had packed up in the suitcase with everything she needed to re-do the room that day.

Sandra had come over earlier and asked to play with her 5-year-old daughter, Huckaby said. But Huckaby didn’t want her daughter to play because she had to pick up her toys. So Sandra left for another friend’s house. Eighteen seconds of surveillance footage that shows Sandra playfully skipping by her family’s home show her on her way back to Huckaby’s home after leaving that other friend’s house, Huckaby said.

After Sandra left, her oldest sister Miranda went to Huckaby’s house, too. Huckaby asked Miranda if she could watch her daughter for her while she went down the street to the church. Connie Lawless was home, too.

Huckaby then set the packed suitcase on the driveway by her dark purple Kia SUV — the same one FBI agents and Tracy police detectives towed and searched Tuesday night. But she forgot her cell phone and keys inside the house, so she went back in for about 15 minutes to find them. She couldn’t, so she picked up the spare key and left.

She forgot about the suitcase and left it on the driveway.

When she got to the church, Huckaby’s grandmother called and said she found her keys and cell phone. Huckaby said that’s when she realized she had left the $200 suitcase outside. When her family went out to get it, they said it was gone.

“So I talked to the assistant manager at the mobile home park and asked him to keep an eye out for this suitcase, someone took it,” Huckaby said. “I also told some older kids to look out for it. I didn’t think much then because, you know, kids were getting out of school and I thought that maybe someone, maybe someone walking by just took it.”

She called Tracy police intending to file a report, but decided to do it online. She never got around to it.

~snip~

Huckaby has spent several days since last week in the intensive care unit at Sutter Tracy Community Hospital for “internal bleeding,” though she refused to say exactly what condition she was admitted for. She was released Thursday morning, she said.

Police had interviewed her at the hospital.

“It’s where I was, and I told them that’s where I was, so they came just because they had a few questions to ask me about what I know,” she said.

Dispatchers said over the police scanner on Tuesday that officers were “changing detail” at the hospital, where they had evidently been stationed for several hours.

Court records show a 28-year-old Melissa Huckaby pleaded no contest on Jan. 9 to a felony charge of second degree commercial burglary and a misdemeanor charge of petty theft with prior theft/burglary/robbery. The criminal complaint says she was locked up in Los Angeles County for conviction of petty theft in November 2006 and that she tried to steal something from Target in November last year.

The complaint says she’s on probation in San Joaquin County and is due back in court on April 17, when she might be sentenced.

The documents list the woman’s address as 812 W. Clover Road, Space No. 57, which city property records show is owned by Clifford Lane Lawless and Connie Lawless.

The Melissa Huckaby interviewed today said that’s not her.

Asked why the address and cell phone number in the court documents match her own, she said she has no idea.

“I don’t know what to say,” she said. “That’s not me.”

http://www.tracypress.com/pages/full...ead_story&open

A quote spray painted on the wall by search
and rescue workers, Team 5, at the OKC Bombing site 4-19-1995.

What I post are my opinions only.
Old 04-10-2009, 06:03 PM

Questions:

What is her internal bleeding from? (SPECULATION ALERT: Injury?)
Is there a camera (Sandra's family or anyone's) pointed that way?
Is she really a criminal or is it a mistake as she claims?
Connie Lawless was home, who else was?
Where was pastor Lawless at this time?
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Nora Charles For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2009, 06:04 PM

I just dont know what to say, Maybe FW and MH did it together... that would explain the plural and if Preacherman knew there is a three way connection.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to butterfly1978 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2009, 06:05 PM
WS Super Moderator

this explains away a lot of persons we thought were suspicious. from the way LE searched the church maybe Melissa H did take that suitcase with her but the stuff in it was not for her classroom????
Old 04-10-2009, 06:07 PM

Maybe the internal bleeding is because of an ulcer, caused by stress. If she is involved then that would do it.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to butterfly1978 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2009, 06:07 PM
always. SS~

Sandra had come over earlier and asked to play with her 5-year-old daughter, Huckaby said. But Huckaby didn’t want her daughter to play because she had to pick up her toys. So Sandra left for another friend’s house. Eighteen seconds of surveillance footage that shows Sandra playfully skipping by her family’s home show her on her way back to Huckaby’s home after leaving that other friend’s house, Huckaby said.

After Sandra left, her oldest sister Miranda went to Huckaby’s house, too. Huckaby asked Miranda if she could watch her daughter for her while she went down the street to the church. Connie Lawless was home, too.

Huckaby then set the packed suitcase on the driveway by her dark purple Kia SUV — the same one FBI agents and Tracy police detectives towed and searched Tuesday night. But she forgot her cell phone and keys inside the house, so she went back in for about 15 minutes to find them. She couldn’t, so she picked up the spare key and left.

This would mean she was the last one to see Sandra alive, had access to the suitcase, the church, and had no alibi for the exact time that Sandra went missing. Wouldn't it?!

Old 04-10-2009, 06:08 PM
WS Super Moderator

Quote:
Huckaby has spent several days since last week in the intensive care unit at Sutter Tracy Community Hospital for “internal bleeding,” though she refused to say exactly what condition she was admitted for. She was released Thursday morning, she said.

Police had interviewed her at the hospital.

“It’s where I was, and I told them that’s where I was, so they came just because they had a few questions to ask me about what I know,” she said.

Dispatchers said over the police scanner on Tuesday that officers were “changing detail” at the hospital, where they had evidently been stationed for several hours.
Is it just me or does it seem that she left out, oh by the way someone took my suitcase, on the night cops were knocking on doors???
Old 04-10-2009, 06:09 PM
I know I spelled tennis wrong ;)

Wow - just wow! One thing that hit me about the article: MH said the video was of Sandra skipping on her way back to their house. How does MH know Sandra was heading there if she never made it? Sounds suspicious.
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to luvtenniss For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2009, 06:10 PM

Maybe MH backed up her SUV into Sandra and then decided to cover it up bc she was already going back to court on the 17th (If she is indeed that MH in the court records.)
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to SouthernMom For This Useful Post:
chien méchant

Me, I'm still stuck on "Wow! Just Wow!!!" and am thus unable to contribute at this time.

I found this a couple of days ago, wonder if this was her?

http://www.localcrimenews.com/lookup.php?jid=3301990

BLOCKED: PRIVACY PROTECTION* Map It
812 W Clover Rd Spc 57
Tracy , CA 95376-1712 Verified Address

Reported: 11/03/2008 by Crime Reporter No. 7195
Source: Tracy PD

F PC459 Burglary
F PC666 Petty Theft With Prior
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to i.b.nora For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2009, 06:11 PM
Woof Woof, ya'll!

Things that make ya go Hmmmmm...

something smells rotton in Denmark!
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to galvino For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2009, 06:12 PM

Exactly, SS!!
Old 04-10-2009, 06:12 PM
chien méchant

Indeed something is rotten in the state of Denmark, galvino.
Old 04-10-2009, 06:13 PM

Where is her husband? Could he be involved?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nora Charles For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2009, 06:13 PM
Woof Woof, ya'll!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernMom View Post
Maybe MH backed up her SUV into Sandra and then decided to cover it up bc she was already going back to court on the 17th (If she is indeed that MH in the court records.)

As awful as that would be, it is a much better scenario than what we've been dreading
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to galvino For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2009, 06:14 PM
WS Super Moderator

and the presser is coming up people....
Old 04-10-2009, 06:14 PM
WS Super Moderator

(((hi Galvino!!))) you are right about that
Old 04-10-2009, 06:15 PM
WS Super Moderator

http://www.kron.com/News/WatchKRON4N...4/Default.aspx
good presser link...one that doesn't eat up your whole screen! lOL
Old 04-10-2009, 06:15 PM
Justice for all victims!

Well! I wonder if this is what the PC is about? HLN stated a little while ago that there would be a PC in approximately an hour.
Old 04-10-2009, 06:16 PM
Woof Woof, ya'll!

this is gonna ((bee)) a long 15 minutes!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to galvino For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2009, 06:18 PM
Justice for all victims!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nursebeeme View Post
Is it just me or does it seem that she left out, oh by the way someone took my suitcase, on the night cops were knocking on doors???
Either she is a potential suspect or considered to be a potential material witness or there would not be a police guard stationed there!
Old 04-10-2009, 06:18 PM
Just 1 tip to find a killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by butterfly1978 View Post
Maybe the internal bleeding is because of an ulcer, caused by stress. If she is involved then that would do it.
or from a child kicking her in the gut???

This is way out there.........BUT is she married?
Could she and Fred be lovers? That being a connection to him being there and knowing Sandra??? In my mind only..........
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to passionflower For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2009, 06:21 PM
chien méchant

Quote:
Originally Posted by passionflower View Post
or from a child kicking her in the gut???

This is way out there.........BUT is she married?
Could she and Fred be lovers? That being a connection to him being there and knowing Sandra??? In my mind only..........
I thought the "child kicking her in the gut" part, but was too aghast to say it. Thanks for your boldness.
Old 04-10-2009, 06:21 PM
always. SS~

She forgot about the suitcase and left it on the driveway.

When she got to the church, Huckaby’s grandmother called and said she found her keys and cell phone. Huckaby said that’s when she realized she had left the $200 suitcase outside. When her family went out to get it, they said it was gone.

“So I talked to the assistant manager at the mobile home park and asked him to keep an eye out for this suitcase, someone took it,” Huckaby said. “I also told some older kids to look out for it. I didn’t think much then because, you know, kids were getting out of school and I thought that maybe someone, maybe someone walking by just took it.”

She called Tracy police intending to file a report, but decided to do it online. She never got around to it.

She is lying! Sgt. T. Sheneman said there was no such call or report. So she said she called them, but changed her mind and was going to do it online...yet never got around to it! What did she say when she "called Tracy police" then?! Excuse the ring?

The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to SeriouslySearching For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread