Websleuths
Go Back   Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community > Current Events > Up to the Minute

Notices

Up to the Minute Breaking news happening right now! (This is not for crime news. Please post breaking crime in the "Crimes in the News" forum).

Old 06-24-2009, 08:37 PM

Oscars doubling best-picture nominees to 10

BEVERLY HILLS, Calif. - The best-picture lineup at the Academy Awards is doubling from five films to 10, a move organizers said Wednesday will open the field to more worthy movies and possibly boost the ceremony's TV ratings.

The change, which was approved Tuesday night by the board of governors for the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, takes effect at next year's Oscars on March 7.

The plan is a return to Oscar traditions of the 1930s and '40s, when a best-picture field of 10 or more films was common.

http://movies.yahoo.com/news/movies....nominees-10-ap

Deuteronomy 18:10-12 (KJV)

10 There shall not be found among you anyone who makes his son or his daughter pass through the fire, or one who practices witchcraft, or a soothsayer, or one who interprets omens, or a sorcerer, 11 or one who conjures spells, or a medium, or a spiritist, or one who calls up the dead. 12 For all who do these things are an abomination to the Lord. (KJV)

Follow me at my Biblical Blog: http://scripture-demystified.blogspot.com

Baruch ha Shem Adonai.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dark Knight For This Useful Post:
Old 06-25-2009, 09:47 AM
I have never taken any exercise except sleeping and resting - M. Twain

I suspect that this is also being done to help the movie studios make more money. If 10 films can now advertise as a Best Picture nominee more people will see the movie, etc, etc.

Hopefully it will give a boost to some of the independent studios who are putting out good films.

The Following User Says Thank You to gaia227 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-25-2009, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaia227 View Post
I suspect that this is also being done to help the movie studios make more money. If 10 films can now advertise as a Best Picture nominee more people will see the movie, etc, etc.

Hopefully it will give a boost to some of the independent studios who are putting out good films.
I also think it's a chance to expand into other genres. Maybe now comedies will have a chance, or animated pics, for example. If there had been 10 this year, The Dark Knight might have made it in.

Deuteronomy 18:10-12 (KJV)

10 There shall not be found among you anyone who makes his son or his daughter pass through the fire, or one who practices witchcraft, or a soothsayer, or one who interprets omens, or a sorcerer, 11 or one who conjures spells, or a medium, or a spiritist, or one who calls up the dead. 12 For all who do these things are an abomination to the Lord. (KJV)

Follow me at my Biblical Blog: http://scripture-demystified.blogspot.com

Baruch ha Shem Adonai.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dark Knight For This Useful Post:
Old 06-25-2009, 02:31 PM
I have never taken any exercise except sleeping and resting - M. Twain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Knight View Post
I also think it's a chance to expand into other genres. Maybe now comedies will have a chance, or animated pics, for example. If there had been 10 this year, The Dark Knight might have made it in.

The Dark Knight? Awful, awful film, awful comic, and definitely would make a bad avatar name if someone actually liked it that much to use it.

I'm kidding. I loved the film and it should have been nominated regardless of 5 or 10 slots.

Wall-E was another one that deserved a nomination.