Notices

Trials Current Trials In the news

Closed Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 08:42 AM
Semper Fi

Accused Killers of Christopher Newsom and Channon Christian on trial #3

Continue here. IIRC, Davidson's trial is set for September 21st, 2009

Thread one:
Accused Killers of Christopher Newsom and Channon Christian on trial #2 - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

Background articles, documents, photos and videos:
http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2009/au...urders-knoxvi/

From Wiki:
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SuziQ For This Useful Post:
Old 08-27-2009, 08:46 AM
I'm in it for the tacos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzybeth View Post
...I wonder if the defense attorney's statement made the jury decide to go for LWOP instead of the DP. I remember him saying if you give Cobbins death then what do you give Davidson (not a quote)?...
Death as well. I'm happy to help him out on any other questions like this he has for no charge whatsoever.

Email me
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to adnoid For This Useful Post:
Old 08-27-2009, 08:59 AM

I agree adnoid. I would like for them all to be sentenced to death (immediately). I was just trying to figure out why the jury went the way they did. I seriously doubt that the family that the defense put on the stand had any bearing on their decision. They just weren't believable. Fake crying, talking about what a good person/influence Cobbins was. He's a murderer, rapist, how can he be a good influence on your child? I wonder if his family even knew the details of his crime? I don't remember seeing them on the days before. IDK, maybe a juror will give an interview and explain how they came to the decision that they did.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lizzybeth For This Useful Post:
Old 08-27-2009, 09:07 AM

I AM COMPLETELY SICK TO MY STOMACH. This is a true injustice and those jurors should be ashamed of themselves. And his family can go to he&^ they are all horrible liars and pathetic in my eyes. I hope he gets what he deserves in general pop.....he hopefully won't last long there.

I'm completely disgusted right now.

I can't use enough of these at the moment, what a disgusting pig Cobbins is....
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to cassiusleuth For This Useful Post:
Old 08-27-2009, 12:41 PM

His family obviously wasn't there for him in the past, and now all of a sudden say they will come see him. I don't believe they will, never bothered in the past so why would they now? I want to know why the jury decided the way they did as well. My heart go's out to Christian and Newsom family.
The Following User Says Thank You to laura08 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-27-2009, 12:50 PM

Finally able to check on this case. I am truly wondering what this jury was thinking. Flabbergasted to say the least. Thanks for all the updates. What a sad outcome.
Old 08-27-2009, 04:50 PM

In Tenn. if someone is driving the getaway car in a burglery and a person is murdered... does the getaway driver get charged with the murder also?
Old 08-27-2009, 07:13 PM

The sick part about this is he is going to have it much better in jail, like the father said. For this guy it is like getting a vacation for life, no work, no worries and sex for life. Sad part is he is going to be placed in jail with the general population, the inmates that may be there for drug use, writing out bad checks, heck they are the ones that have to be afraid. Every time I see a new case I always think this is the worst, after reading what happened to this beautiful young couple it just don't get any worse. I say an eye for an eye, let his a$$ get hog tided, raped, beat and put in a trash can that's where he belongs. If I was on that jury my thought would be what if this nut ever gets out or escapes.......PUT HIM TO DEATH. As a parent myself of a wonderful young man, I have wondered how I would feel if my son ever took someone else's life. I can honestly say I will always love my son, BUT if he ever did something this horrible I don't think I would have a hard time with him being put to death because I would not want him on this earth. I pray god gives the parents strength and comfort, I can't imagine the pain.
The Following User Says Thank You to JulieR For This Useful Post:
Old 08-27-2009, 07:20 PM
I'm in it for the tacos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgfred View Post
In Tenn. if someone is driving the getaway car in a burglery and a person is murdered... does the getaway driver get charged with the murder also?
If TN has the felony murder rule (I didn't check) it's possible. Would be very fact dependent. Do you have a specific case in mind?

Email me
Old 08-27-2009, 07:42 PM
Yup, I'm listening

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgfred View Post
I'm pretty sure we do but here's a link:

http://www.tennesseeanytime.org/laws/laws.html

In The Forest With The Top Down
Old 08-28-2009, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adnoid View Post
If TN has the felony murder rule (I didn't check) it's possible. Would be very fact dependent. Do you have a specific case in mind?
Yes, this one. How could Romeo be there 'from start to finish' and then not be just as responsible as the ring leader... how did he NOT get death?
Old 08-29-2009, 02:50 PM

Thanks for posting the clip of the parents after the LWOP decision on the now closed thread. I wanted the DP also but as one poster pointed out it may cost the state more to do the DP because of appeals. I laughed at the Jeffrey Dalmer comment.

Well, I was in TN on Thursday and the decision of the jury was the talk of some workers at a place called the Gathering on Main St. in Sevierville. I so wanted to stop in Knoxville and take a picture outside the courthouse but illness shortened my trip. I did not even get a chance to get a Knoxville daily. I did get the TN Star Journal which was a waste of my fifty cents.

Davidison trial will probably be one for the books. I hope Gary gets some calm down assistance.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RayStar For This Useful Post:
Old 08-31-2009, 01:03 PM
Semper Fi

Victims' Rights Task Force kept close watch on Cobbins trial

As the Letalvis Cobbins' trial unfolded, the first in the Christian-Newsom murders, there was a group paying very close attention, the East Tennessee Victims' Rights Task Force. More>>
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SuziQ For This Useful Post:
Old 08-31-2009, 01:04 PM
Semper Fi

Proposed jury questionnaire for Davidson trial

Jury selection begins next week in the trial of LeMaricus Davidson, the alleged ringleader in the Christian-Newsom murders. More>>
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SuziQ For This Useful Post:
Old 08-31-2009, 01:04 PM
Semper Fi

Community fund created to support Christian - Newsom families

The dedication and the suffering of the families of Channon Christian and Christopher Newsom has become the talk of Knoxville as the defendants are put on trial for the couple's murders. More>>
Old 08-31-2009, 01:05 PM
Semper Fi

Jury for Thomas trial being selected in Hamilton Co.

The jury for George Thomas, the third defendant to stand trial in the Christian-Newsom murders, is being selected in Hamilton County. The process began Monday. More>>
The Following User Says Thank You to SuziQ For This Useful Post:
Old 08-31-2009, 01:10 PM
Semper Fi

http://www.wbir.com/news/local/story...=97386&catid=2

(snips)
Judge Richard Baumgartner headed to Chattanooga Monday to find another jury for an upcoming high profile double murder case that has captivated Knox County.
George Thomas is set to go to trial on October 28th. He is accused of torturing and killing Channon Christian and Chris Newsom in January 2007
After the judge gets back from Chattanooga, he will start searching for a fair and impartial jury for Lemaricus Davidson's trial.

On Tuesday, the judge will give nearly 1,000 potential Knox County jurors questionnaires to see if they have already formed an opinion abou the high-profile case.

Davidson has asked for a Knox County jury for a Knox County trial. Davidson is expected to go to trial on September 21st. However, Judge Baumgartner told attorneys he believes it could take at least 2 weeks to find a jury. He is unsure what he will do, if he still can't find a panel after 2 weeks of searching.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SuziQ For This Useful Post:
Old 08-31-2009, 09:43 PM

Judge B. may need to go to the moon to find an uninformed jury. IMO
Well I guess some have not formed an opinion in this case. Davidison or Thomas
The Following User Says Thank You to RayStar For This Useful Post:
Old 09-01-2009, 10:35 AM
Semper Fi

BBM and Swat Teams?

Jury selection is underway Tuesday in Knoxville for the trial of LeMaricus Davidson, the alleged ringleader in the Christian-Newsom murders.
Nine hundred people were originally summoned to the Civic Coliseum.
Court officials said about 600 of those have been able to answer the summons. SWAT teams are present and potential jurors have to go through metal detectors.

More at link:
http://www.wate.com/Global/story.asp?S=11025147
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to SuziQ For This Useful Post:
Old 09-03-2009, 12:23 PM

This has got to be taking a toll on Judge Richard Baumgartner. He was looking worn toward the end of Cobbins trial.

I continue to think of the Christian and Newsome families, especially Gary Christian and hope they eventually find peace.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to raindrops300 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-03-2009, 01:38 PM
Semper Fi

Over 90 percent of Davidson jury pool had already heard of case

http://www.wate.com/Global/story.asp?S=11040264
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SuziQ For This Useful Post:
Old 09-03-2009, 01:55 PM

Thanks Suzi for the link....I have been trying to figure out what Davidson thinks the benefit of having a jury from Knoxville will be? What does he think will be so different between a jury in Knoxville and a jury from elsewhere? For the life of me I can't figure out what his reasoning is.
Old 09-04-2009, 08:03 PM
Semper Fi

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelergirl View Post
Thanks Suzi for the link....I have been trying to figure out what Davidson thinks the benefit of having a jury from Knoxville will be? What does he think will be so different between a jury in Knoxville and a jury from elsewhere? For the life of me I can't figure out what his reasoning is.
IDK, unless he thinks a jury from Knoxville won't be seated and the process of picking one will start over again delaying his trial?
The Following User Says Thank You to SuziQ For This Useful Post:
Old 09-08-2009, 06:46 PM
Semper Fi

Added round of jury selection scheduled for Davidson trial

The court has scheduled an additional round of jury selection for the trial of LeMaricus Davidson, bringing another group of hundreds to the Civic Coliseum.
Around 800 summons will be sent to potential jurors for Monday, September 14. Court officials said they expect about half those people to answer the summons and fill out questionnaires.
The second group will be on standby just in case the court cannot seat a jury from the first batch of potential jurors called on September 1.

More at link:
http://www.wate.com/Global/story.asp?S=11092803
Old 09-08-2009, 06:48 PM
Semper Fi

Davidson's defense seeks to block experts' testimony

http://www.wate.com/Global/story.asp?S=11090884
Closed Thread