Websleuths
Go Back   Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community > Crimes and Trials > Trials > Recently Sentenced and Beyond > Jaycee Lee Dugard

Notices

Jaycee Lee Dugard Kidnapped in 1991-found alive 18 years later!


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #26  
Old 10-20-2009, 12:41 PM
songline's Avatar
songline songline is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Manhattan, NY
Posts: 20,389
Quote:
Originally Posted by not_my_kids View Post
I hate using solely personal experience, but this one may shed some light.

I attended kindergarten, first grade, and second grade in a traditional public school. My mom then put me in a small private school that was more concerned with the basics of Scientology than in math or reading. I attended home school for fourth and fifth. This consisted of my mother parking me in front of the TV, leaving a couple of textbooks out and telling me to read something. No formal or traditional education for 3rd, 4th or 5th. I reentered public school in 6th grade, and tested at and above grade level. I was once again removed from the education system completely at the beginning of 7th grade. I tested at grade level when I reentered school in 10th grade but dropped out after one semester, due to being unable to function in the environment. At 20, I went back to get my GED, I passed with 100% in 2 areas, social sciences and science. I barely scraped through the math portion and everything else was about average.
There were no textbooks available to me above a 6th grade level.
Is it possible that her kids are at grade level? Yes.
Is it probable? No.
Is anything in this case probable? No.
Make of it what you will.
GREAT POST

Yes it is very possible to catch up especially when someone is bright. YOU are very bright.
__________________
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings,
we simply continue to fly... on a broomstick.

We're flexible like that.

Last edited by songline; 10-20-2009 at 12:44 PM.
Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to songline For This Useful Post:
  #27  
Old 10-20-2009, 12:45 PM
SunnieRN SunnieRN is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 3,577
Quote:
Originally Posted by songline View Post
All the work done in printing is artistic talent, and billing is none other then basic math.
I do not believe she was able to teach past 5th grade...especially when her own Aunt said she did a great job under those circumstances, I see no books on pictures, or any inference to any books.

There is a boy in my buildidng who is home schooed....He went to Paris for a year with family (not to school, and he does have very strang parents, Mom is a JW and Dad is catholic; they fight like cats and dogs, and are nasty in public - how good their religion did for them )
BUT...Because the boy is home schooled he just skipped the year that he was away, WHY I m not sure...
I am sure his Mom said to me...8th grade is no big deal we are just going to proceed with 9th grade.

I was on the bus with the kid yesterday and he told me his Mothers brother took the tests for him so that he will be able to proceed. YAP with home schooling it is a very different ball game.

NOP I am not closed minded at all...but I too have taught, and there are just some fibs I will not
were my rose glasses for.

It is however always OK with me for everyone to believe whatever they like.

I am in no way disagreeing with you either. I also taught in my past. I sold real estate and then became an RN. I HATED math in high school. I felt like I could not understand it or make any sense of it whatsoever. In college I took math classes that allowed me to work at my own pace with an environment set up with tutors to help you learn. Things made a lot more sense and I made it through. There are a LOT of educational materials available online. Maybe math was something she gave the girls the basics in, but its possible that she schooled herself and her daughters at the same time. Probable? Maybe not. Possible? Just look at what else she did with what she had available!
Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to SunnieRN For This Useful Post:
  #28  
Old 10-20-2009, 01:02 PM
MarioMangler MarioMangler is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Upland, California
Posts: 24
I think you really have to look at the logistics of her situation. I mean, what else was Jaycee able to do all day besides running the business and reading books? There aren't many other options when you're locked in the backyard every single day of your life. She didn't have the opportunities to slack off and find leisure activities like other American teenagers. All she really had for 18 years were her books, her chores, and her thoughts.

In a situation like that I think it would be pretty easy to fall back on learning and reading about things as your "safety zone." Especially when you're a pretty bright kid to start with. I mean, what else was she going to do? Just sit there and stare at the wall of the tent all day?

While I think it's a stretch to say that she and her kids are ready for advanced college calculus right off the bat, it's almost guaranteed that they spent more time reading and learning about things than your average American kids. Reading books in the backyard would have been pretty much their life.

In any case, I hardly think this is the most far fetched hypothesis we've heard about this story.
Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to MarioMangler For This Useful Post:
  #29  
Old 10-20-2009, 01:09 PM
not_my_kids's Avatar
not_my_kids not_my_kids is offline
<----The bravest little guy I've ever met.
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Around here somewhere
Posts: 12,732
One of the ways that I taught myself was through regular novels.
For example, I would read a Stephen King book for the plot (Back when Stephen King wrote plots into his books) and then I would read it a second time, for the descriptions of the people to learn steroetypes and cultural differences, or I'd go back and study the way the he talked about the weather and season changes, to learn about science.
This may be the same type of thing that Jaycee was doing. Using whatever was available to learn. She then would have been able to teach the girls with that.
Math is the only thing that is really hard to pick up that way, but I learned fractions from cookbooks, so it is doable. But not higher math. I never would have been able to teach myself from regular books how to do algebra or trig.

ETA: Sorry about the appearing and disappearing posts, it's double posting and auto posting on me before I hit submit. Bear with me.
__________________
JMO. Unless there's a link, I can't prove it.

Last edited by not_my_kids; 10-20-2009 at 01:11 PM.
Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to not_my_kids For This Useful Post:
  #30  
Old 10-20-2009, 01:16 PM
kbl8201 kbl8201 is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: massachusetts
Posts: 6,356
Quote:
Originally Posted by not_my_kids View Post
One of the ways that I taught myself was through regular novels.
For example, I would read a Stephen King book for the plot (Back when Stephen King wrote plots into his books) and then I would read it a second time, for the descriptions of the people to learn steroetypes and cultural differences, or I'd go back and study the way the he talked about the weather and season changes, to learn about science.
This may be the same type of thing that Jaycee was doing. Using whatever was available to learn. She then would have been able to teach the girls with that.
Math is the only thing that is really hard to pick up that way, but I learned fractions from cookbooks, so it is doable. But not higher math. I never would have been able to teach myself from regular books how to do algebra or trig.

ETA: Sorry about the appearing and disappearing posts, it's double posting and auto posting on me before I hit submit. Bear with me.
i swear i could post something about how nice the weather here is today (60, sunny) and i'd get 30 negative posts about how its nearly wintertime.

can we just agree that jaycee taught her girls the best she could and did a fantastic job at it?
Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to kbl8201 For This Useful Post:
  #31  
Old 10-20-2009, 01:16 PM
MarioMangler MarioMangler is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Upland, California
Posts: 24
Yeah I was getting the double post issue as well.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MarioMangler For This Useful Post:
  #32  
Old 10-20-2009, 01:20 PM
not_my_kids's Avatar
not_my_kids not_my_kids is offline
<----The bravest little guy I've ever met.
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Around here somewhere
Posts: 12,732
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbl8201 View Post
i swear i could post something about how nice the weather here is today (60, sunny) and i'd get 30 negative posts about how its nearly wintertime.

can we just agree that jaycee taught her girls the best she could and did a fantastic job at it?
Just out of curiosity, why'd you quote me? I agree that she did the best she could. The fact that she was able to teach them anything at all is miraculous. I wasn't being negative. She could have done it, maybe not fully to grade level, but at least pretty darn close.
__________________
JMO. Unless there's a link, I can't prove it.
Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to not_my_kids For This Useful Post:
  #33  
Old 10-20-2009, 01:36 PM
kbl8201 kbl8201 is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: massachusetts
Posts: 6,356
Quote:
Originally Posted by not_my_kids View Post
Just out of curiosity, why'd you quote me? I agree that she did the best she could. The fact that she was able to teach them anything at all is miraculous. I wasn't being negative. She could have done it, maybe not fully to grade level, but at least pretty darn close.
i should have done a quick reply sorry. that wasnt directed at you. directed at how everything in this case that seems to be the least bit positive is being ripped apart.
we're nitpicking. everythng.
jaycee did what she could with what she knew and what meager resources they were allowed. i dont think any of us in the same situation could have done better
Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to kbl8201 For This Useful Post:
  #34  
Old 10-20-2009, 01:41 PM
songline's Avatar
songline songline is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Manhattan, NY
Posts: 20,389
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbl8201 View Post
i should have done a quick reply sorry. that wasnt directed at you. directed at how everything in this case that seems to be the least bit positive is being ripped apart.
we're nitpicking. everythng.
jaycee did what she could with what she knew and what meager resources they were allowed. i dont think any of us in the same situation could have done better
And embellishing anything is not exactly great either.
Huge difference between support and embellishing.
YES SHE DID AN AMAZING JOB. NOP not realistic that they can be up to grade level.
And again you should all believe whatever you want. I don't and wont believe it.
she is still a hero to me.
__________________
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings,
we simply continue to fly... on a broomstick.

We're flexible like that.

Last edited by songline; 10-20-2009 at 01:47 PM.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to songline For This Useful Post:
  #35  
Old 10-20-2009, 01:46 PM
kbl8201 kbl8201 is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: massachusetts
Posts: 6,356
Quote:
Originally Posted by songline View Post
And embellishing anything is not exactly great either.
Huge difference between support and embellishing.
YES SHE DID AN AMAZING JOB.
NOP not realistic that they can be up to grade level.
possilbe they are up to jaycee's grade level,which means the 11 year old would be up to grade level.
Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to kbl8201 For This Useful Post:
  #36  
Old 10-20-2009, 02:14 PM
smart blonde's Avatar
smart blonde smart blonde is offline
Websleuths Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Hotel California
Posts: 6,701
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephens View Post
I, too, have wondered how the hell Dugard was able to teach her daughters any math or science (assuming the girls are both up to grade level in all subjects). Trigonometry, calculus, or geometry? How? She only had a 5th grade education and math is not one of those subjects you simply "get" without rigorous instruction, whether by teacher or book. I believe the last thing Garrido wanted was for Dugard to be educated, to help ensure her enslavement (Even if you want to believe otherwise, the man is a dim bulb and wouldn't know what books to get her). So, how could she know what to teach? Maybe she put her foot down when it came to her daughters' education and he allowed her web access to basic educational sources? I'm guessing we won't find out for a while, if ever.

Either way, I sure hope that they get a lot of (hopefully, free) help with their education.
I wonder if Nancy Garrido could have had a hand in helping to educate all three of these girls?
She was for a time in the nursing profession, wasn't she?
Just a thought.
__________________
.... ....... My posts are my opinion, only.
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to smart blonde For This Useful Post:
  #37  
Old 10-20-2009, 02:16 PM
kbl8201 kbl8201 is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: massachusetts
Posts: 6,356
Quote:
Originally Posted by smart blonde View Post
I wonder if Nancy Garrido could have had a hand in helping to educate all three of these girls?
She was for a time in the nursing profession, wasn't she?
Just a thought.
possible.
but if the girls were out in the tents most of the time i doubt she did much.
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kbl8201 For This Useful Post:
  #38  
Old 10-20-2009, 02:18 PM
not_my_kids's Avatar
not_my_kids not_my_kids is offline
<----The bravest little guy I've ever met.
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Around here somewhere
Posts: 12,732
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbl8201 View Post
possilbe they are up to jaycee's grade level,which means the 11 year old would be up to grade level.
That one is a possibility.
Also, we don't know how they measured them. Was it a standardized test, was it part of the initial psych eval that I'm sure all three of them had, was it simply that they are reading at appropriate levels and that was morphed into "at grade level" for everything?
There are so many tests for the same things, one can say you are perfectly average, one can say you are a genius and one can say you are an idiot, all with the same answers to the same questions. It's a bit useless to know the result without knowing the test.
__________________
JMO. Unless there's a link, I can't prove it.
Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to not_my_kids For This Useful Post:
  #39  
Old 10-20-2009, 02:22 PM
kbl8201 kbl8201 is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: massachusetts
Posts: 6,356
Quote:
Originally Posted by not_my_kids View Post
That one is a possibility.
Also, we don't know how they measured them. Was it a standardized test, was it part of the initial psych eval that I'm sure all three of them had, was it simply that they are reading at appropriate levels and that was morphed into "at grade level" for everything?
There are so many tests for the same things, one can say you are perfectly average, one can say you are a genius and one can say you are an idiot, all with the same answers to the same questions. It's a bit useless to know the result without knowing the test.
well i think theyll all be finding out how far along they are as they go along.
Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kbl8201 For This Useful Post:
  #40  
Old 10-20-2009, 02:33 PM
Stephens Stephens is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 111
@kbl: My cousin bought the "People" magazine with Dugard on the cover and I could've sworn she told me that the article states that the eldest was not only up to grade level but near that of a high school senior, according to the tests. So, I don't think the two girls are at 5th grade level. I still have my doubts about math and science, but as I said earlier, we'll probably not find out anytime soon how Dugard did it, if she did, on those subjects.
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stephens For This Useful Post:
  #41  
Old 10-20-2009, 02:39 PM
smart blonde's Avatar
smart blonde smart blonde is offline
Websleuths Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Hotel California
Posts: 6,701
I posted this on the other thread, and then deleted it right away because I thought it would be better placed here:

I just want to get this straight in my mind...

Prior to the rescue, Jaycee's daughters thought/ were told that Jaycee was their older sister, correct?

So... did the two young girls think that Nancy Garrido was their mother? Or, did they just think that Nancy was their step-mother?

(Because, if indeed Phillip Garrido is their biological father, and he is married to Nancy, then legally Nancy is their step-mother... but did they believe she was their bio mom?).
__________________
.... ....... My posts are my opinion, only.
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to smart blonde For This Useful Post:
  #42  
Old 10-20-2009, 02:41 PM
smart blonde's Avatar
smart blonde smart blonde is offline
Websleuths Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Hotel California
Posts: 6,701
I think there is a very strong possibility Nancy, who is somewhat educated herself, may have helped in educating the two younger girls.
__________________
.... ....... My posts are my opinion, only.
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to smart blonde For This Useful Post:
  #43  
Old 10-20-2009, 02:50 PM
kbl8201 kbl8201 is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: massachusetts
Posts: 6,356
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephens View Post
@kbl: My cousin bought the "People" magazine with Dugard on the cover and I could've sworn she told me that the article states that the eldest was not only up to grade level but near that of a high school senior, according to the tests. So, I don't think the two girls are at 5th grade level. I still have my doubts about math and science, but as I said earlier, we'll probably not find out anytime soon how Dugard did it, if she did, on those subjects.
its intresting if it's true.
and makes jaycee even more amazing
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kbl8201 For This Useful Post:
  #44  
Old 10-20-2009, 02:51 PM
kbl8201 kbl8201 is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: massachusetts
Posts: 6,356
Quote:
Originally Posted by smart blonde View Post
I think there is a very strong possibility Nancy, who is somewhat educated herself, may have helped in educating the two younger girls.
i doubt she's that noble
Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to kbl8201 For This Useful Post:
  #45  
Old 10-20-2009, 03:04 PM
smart blonde's Avatar
smart blonde smart blonde is offline
Websleuths Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Hotel California
Posts: 6,701
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbl8201 View Post
i doubt she's that noble
Oh, believe me, I do not think she is noble. I see her as a monster.

I was thinking more along the lines of trying to look important in their eyes, in a misguided attempt at trying to fit into the 'role' of a mother, or out of boredom.
__________________
.... ....... My posts are my opinion, only.

Last edited by smart blonde; 10-20-2009 at 03:06 PM.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to smart blonde For This Useful Post:
  #46  
Old 10-20-2009, 03:12 PM
kbl8201 kbl8201 is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: massachusetts
Posts: 6,356
Quote:
Originally Posted by smart blonde View Post
Oh, believe me, I do not think she is noble. I see her as a monster.

I was thinking more along the lines of trying to look important in their eyes, in a misguided attempt at trying to fit into the 'role' of a mother, or out of boredom.
well im pretty sure patty didnt help educate them.
nancy, maybe some. but alll materials that would help them learn were on the tents. doubt nancy was out there much
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kbl8201 For This Useful Post:
  #47  
Old 10-20-2009, 03:16 PM
songline's Avatar
songline songline is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Manhattan, NY
Posts: 20,389
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbl8201 View Post
well im pretty sure patty didnt help educate them.
nancy, maybe some. but alll materials that would help them learn were on the tents. doubt nancy was out there much
__________________
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings,
we simply continue to fly... on a broomstick.

We're flexible like that.
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to songline For This Useful Post:
  #48  
Old 10-20-2009, 03:22 PM
smart blonde's Avatar
smart blonde smart blonde is offline
Websleuths Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Hotel California
Posts: 6,701
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbl8201 View Post
well im pretty sure patty didnt help educate them.
nancy, maybe some. but alll materials that would help them learn were on the tents. doubt nancy was out there much
I wasn't referring to Patricia, I was referring to Nancy.
Nevermind.
__________________
.... ....... My posts are my opinion, only.
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to smart blonde For This Useful Post:
  #49  
Old 10-20-2009, 03:24 PM
smart blonde's Avatar
smart blonde smart blonde is offline
Websleuths Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Hotel California
Posts: 6,701
Quote:
Originally Posted by smart blonde View Post
I posted this on the other thread, and then deleted it right away because I thought it would be better placed here:

I just want to get this straight in my mind...

Prior to the rescue, Jaycee's daughters thought/ were told that Jaycee was their older sister, correct?

So... did the two young girls think that Nancy Garrido was their mother? Or, did they just think that Nancy was their step-mother?

(Because, if indeed Phillip Garrido is their biological father, and he is married to Nancy, then legally Nancy is their step-mother... but did they believe she was their bio mom?).
Anyone mind letting me know your thoughts on the above?
Thanks in advance!
__________________
.... ....... My posts are my opinion, only.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to smart blonde For This Useful Post:
  #50  
Old 10-20-2009, 03:49 PM
kbl8201 kbl8201 is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: massachusetts
Posts: 6,356
Quote:
Originally Posted by songline View Post
that did not deserve a croc.
the post was in direct relation to the quote
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kbl8201 For This Useful Post:
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Garridos Jailhouse interview nobody2 Jaycee Lee Dugard 7 03-04-2010 03:29 PM
Private school being investigated for child abuse mysteriew Crimes in the News 4 06-03-2005 04:17 PM


© Copyright Websleuths 1999-2012 New To Site? Need Help?
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:26 PM.

Advertisements

Pre-Order Imperfect Justice: Prosecuting Casey Anthony today!