Websleuths
Go Back   Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community > Missing!! > Located Forum Discussion

Notices

Located Forum Discussion Discussion for those who were missing and are now located

Old 02-06-2010, 03:48 PM

YAY...wonderful news to see / hear today.

This is very encouraging.

I wish I were in the area to help with fliers etc.; but, I will continue to email information and fliers; just as I've done since the beginning.

Prayers to Sarah's family and all of those helping.

Thank you (family and Lavonda Dolce) for sharing these updates with us here at WS...
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to everyoneneedsavoice For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2010, 04:12 PM
Verified Expert / Full-Time Professional K9SAR, SAR & Police SAR Management

Helping out like you are everyoneneedsavoice, is really a great thing to do. It is amazing how much help people can be, and they don't even have to be right in the area of where the person is missing.

Thank you everyoneneedsavoice!
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to K9-Chaser For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2010, 07:15 PM

Wow, I'm impressed that the dog could pick up a scent nearly 2 months after the event! Is that usual?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pudd For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2010, 07:40 PM

Very encouraging news! These dogs are absolutely amazing! Today's search results must have given Sarah's family a bit of a sigh of relief and more feelings of hope.

It's a tough call to identify someone from a photo whom you've never met. I was in a mall a couple of weeks ago and saw someone I thought really resembled her. This woman had two little girls with her, calling her "mom" so I knew it couldn't be. But it makes me wonder, has there been many reported possible sightings of women who have looked like Sarah?

Last edited by NHscs; 02-06-2010 at 07:43 PM. Reason: inviting contact/TOS violation
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to NHscs For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2010, 07:42 PM

I wondered the same thing...assumed dogs wouldn't be able to pick up on a person's scent after more than a few days. Amazing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pudd View Post
Wow, I'm impressed that the dog could pick up a scent nearly 2 months after the event! Is that usual?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NHscs For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2010, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K9-Chaser View Post
The private property is not the only issue, but also the laws on being 'pedestrians, etc.', on the highway. So there are legalities. Also too, you'd have the "rubber-neckers" who would most certainly cause accidents gawking at what is going on unless there were DOT signs posted and marked LE units on the highway...
Yes. Alas, this brings to mind a sad case in Vermont:

Vt. woman killed trying to help cat on interstate
By Associated Press
Monday, February 1, 2010

DUMMERSTON, Vt. The Vermont State Police says an elderly Putney woman was killed after being hit by a car while trying to rescue a cat on Interstate 91.

Police say 75-year-old Cynthia Long of Putney had stopped to try to rescue the cat she had spotted in the interstate median...
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gnomony For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2010, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pudd View Post
This is one of those "Yes and No" answers. It isn't unusual if you have a dog that is trained for this and regularly works these kinds of cases. But there aren't that many people that do this because, for example, K9's used by LE usually work more 'hot' cases. By this it is meant cases where the 'crime' had recently happened so they are more 'fresh'. Therefore they tend to train on more 'fresh' tracks. Search and rescue teams with dogs are usually called out sooner as well (unless you are talking cadaver work), and therefore they too, don't usually do the aged or older work.

The way the K9's are trained and used is just different - you look at it as the K9's (in this case), are all tools / different resources. You use the different tools to accomplish what you need done.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to K9-Chaser For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2010, 12:01 PM
WS Moderator

As a note to encourage all your efforts

I received a letter (snail mail) from the Assistant Commissioner of Safety of NH: Dated January 27.

There is nothing in it that is new (to you), but I thought I would share so that you could all see that all your efforts do make a difference.

Quote:
The office of Governor John H. Lynch contacted me and shared your recent email that you sent them regarding Sarah Rogers, a resident of Barrington, NH who disappeared in Maine.

I have checked with our Division of State Police and find that State Police Troop A has been in touch with the Barrington Police Department, who are the lead New Hampshire agency in this case, and the Maine authorities who are in overall charge because this is a Maine case and being handled by the Maine State Police. The Chief of Police in Barrington has discussed the case with Lt. Parenteau, the Troop Commander of Troop A and it appears that Barrington is doing a thorough investigative job on this case. They entered her as missing in the National Crime Information Center, they accessed her bank and phone records, covered her timeline and anticipate obtaining dental records and a DNA sample. There appears to be nothing more that can be done on the New Hampshire end.

Maine State Police have alerted hospitals and homeless shelters and conducted two searches with dogs.

Very truly yours,
Earl M. Sweeney
Assistant Commissioner
I was a bit disappointed by the "nothing more that can be done" statement, but I'm sure it was meant in a different way than I am reading or than what was actually expressed.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to summer_breeze For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2010, 12:19 PM
Verified SAR

Very truly yours? That's odd. I was thinking more like, thanks for your concern.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mtrooper For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2010, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summer_breeze View Post
I received a letter (snail mail) from the Assistant Commissioner of Safety of NH: Dated January 27.

There is nothing in it that is new (to you), but I thought I would share so that you could all see that all your efforts do make a difference.

I was a bit disappointed by the "nothing more that can be done" statement, but I'm sure it was meant in a different way than I am reading or than what was actually expressed.

Thank you for sharing this with us! I haven't received anymore communications from our media awareness campaign (don't you like that name) early on...but this...and K9's reply...reminded me of the real impact that emails and electronic communications can have.

Like you, I didn't read too much into his words...I am just delighted that he responded with details relevant to the search efforts for Sarah.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to everyoneneedsavoice For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2010, 01:52 PM

For those of you who wanted to have a copy of the letter that can be sent online via email to Good Morning America, please click the link and either use the template letter below or you can create your own letter. The more that contact GMA the better chances that they will consider bringing her case to national attention.

Submit Media Email to:
http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/BrianRoss/page?id=3247430

Letter:

Thank you for reviewing my very important email. A young mother is missing and her family is desperately searching for her. We need national media attention because Sarah Rogers, 29, could be in any major city in the United States in dire need of medical attention. After seeing her toddler son, husband and father you can understand just why this young missing mom needs to be brought home and why we believe that Good Morning America can help!

Sarah Rogers is 29 years old. She fled her NH home in a manic state on December 13, 2009. She has both bipolar and schizophrenia illnesses. She is a fantastic painter and guitarist. She really felt taking her meds was inhibiting her painting. Her husband also stated that she actually painted better w/o the meds�however, knowing how she would become extremely paranoid and manic he would do all he could to make her take her meds. She went off them three weeks prior to her disappearance on Dec 13, 2009. His family was with him in his home as they tried to calm her down, however while her husband was speaking with her father on the telephone� she fled. Due to video cameras at toll booths, it was discovered that Sarah drove aimlessly through turnpike toll booths in Maine on I95. 2 � hours away from her home.

Snapshots were taken of her vehicle license plates as she flew through the FastLane without an EZPass. Sarah did this huge circling going northbound for many miles, turning and going southbound on I95 and again northbound on I95.

Around the 140.5 mile marker her vehicle slid off the road, during a snowfall, and was stuck in the median snow bank. Her door was open, dome light on and vehicle in gear. Her backpack/purse was found 30 feet from the vehicle in the snow. The Maine State Troopers came to her vehicle after a tow truck driver spotted it and called it in. This was at 6:15 pm on Dec 13, 2009. The same eve as the morning she left. They never reported the vehicle to her husband as found until 5 days later! (It was registered to Florida as they used to reside there prior to NH and she never changed her license or registration.)

Troopers stated that footprints led from the vehicle across the median to the southbound lane on I95 and stopped. They are assuming she received a ride from a passerby. However, she has never been seen since. Ground searches have been conducted and on February 6, 2010 a specially trained K9 repeated the same trail as Sarah would have made from her vehicle and it appears that she would have received a ride from someone on the southbound I95 turnpike headed from Maine towards NH. Thus far, only local media has covered her story. Unfortunately, she could be anywhere in the USA- in any city if she took a ride from a trucker or from someone else and dropped off at the bus or train station. If that occurred Sarah could be wandering streets anywhere in the USA. She has a history of going extremely manic, to completely catatonic. We�ve saturated the New England hospitals in case she is registered as a Jane Doe. Her parents are willing to appear on GMA to make a plea to anyone who may have seen or assisted Sarah to please come forward.

News Report: http://tinyurl.com/y8cuhgl
Her two year old son. (She missed his birthday and Christmas. She would NEVER leave her child and husband w/o this awful illness that may have taken her memory)
http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg241/LavandaDolce/Misc%20Pics/a64.jpg
http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg241/LavandaDolce/Misc%20Pics/a96.jpg
MISSING POSTER: http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg241/LavandaDolce/SarahRogers29MISSING_NHMEPOSTER.jpg

Please contact either of the following for direct information on how to reach the family:
LostNMissing, Inc. at info@lostnmissing.com (603) 548-6548
Shamshank Investigative Services at TShamshak@aol.com Phone: (617) 948-2128

I am a public viewer and with the hopes that you will make contact to assist the family.

Respectfully,

X YOUR NAME, ADDRESS, PHONE
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to K9-Chaser For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2010, 02:05 PM

OMG...how could I forget the link to the article that Lavonda told us to expect???

Here it is:

<snipped>

But yesterday offered some cause for hope, after a Maine State Police search of the area where Sarah Rogers' car was found indicated that she had not wandered into the woods, as her father had feared.

Police conducted the search with the VK9 Scent Specific Search and Recovery tandem of Julie Jones and her yellow Labrador retriever, Quincy. Using a pair of Sarah's leather pants, Quincy was able to track the missing women's movements that day, Jones said. Quincy was able to show Rogers crossed the median and the southbound lane of Interstate 95 and walked south for a bit, without entering the woods.

....lots more at link....

http://www.unionleader.com/article.a...7s+whereabouts

Just finished reading the entire article. IMO, it is well written and clarifies some answers to many of the questions I've seen asked here. IMO, the as the investigation progresses, based on the findings, the family and LE provide more answers and/or clarification; which could've been thrown out there previously, in an attempt to protect the privacy of the family and the investigation.

This inspires me...praying for Sarah and her family, friends, and loved ones!

Last edited by everyoneneedsavoice; 02-07-2010 at 02:17 PM. Reason: eta...comments
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to everyoneneedsavoice For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2010, 02:22 PM

Thank you for the letter, K9 Chaser....sent mine to GMA
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Blondie in Spokane For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2010, 02:33 PM

LostNMissing deserves the Kudos on this one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondie in Spokane View Post
Thank you for the letter, K9 Chaser....sent mine to GMA
You are welcome and I'd like to take the credit for putting all of this together, but I only posted it for the LostNMissing, Inc., and I should have done it much EARLIER but I forgot! They were not near a computer at the time and I had a copy of it, so I said I'd take care of it.

Anyway, LostNMissing deserves all of the thanks for taking the time to put this together - definitely a great job for sure!
Old 02-07-2010, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by everyoneneedsavoice View Post
OMG...how could I forget the link to the article that Lavonda told us to expect???

Here it is:

<snipped>

But yesterday offered some cause for hope, after a Maine State Police search of the area where Sarah Rogers' car was found indicated that she had not wandered into the woods, as her father had feared.

Police conducted the search with the VK9 Scent Specific Search and Recovery tandem of Julie Jones and her yellow Labrador retriever, Quincy. Using a pair of Sarah's leather pants, Quincy was able to track the missing women's movements that day, Jones said. Quincy was able to show Rogers crossed the median and the southbound lane of Interstate 95 and walked south for a bit, without entering the woods.

....lots more at link....

http://www.unionleader.com/article.a...7s+whereabouts

Just finished reading the entire article. IMO, it is well written and clarifies some answers to many of the questions I've seen asked here. IMO, the as the investigation progresses, based on the findings, the family and LE provide more answers and/or clarification; which could've been thrown out there previously, in an attempt to protect the privacy of the family and the investigation.

This inspires me...praying for Sarah and her family, friends, and loved ones!
Too bad about the irresponsible comments that "Dave, from Manchester" left after the article. He obviously doesn't know of the work that the handler, K9, and the unit does as a whole. If he did, then he would realize that this type of work is routinely done. He also doesn't know that the K9 never lost the scent and stopped but rather continued running down the travel lane of the interstate. The handler had to stop the K9 because of continuous traffic coming up behind her.

But the main point of the article wasn't even about them - it is solely about finding Sarah Rogers and that she left the area where her vehicle was. How far away or how long did she stay in a vehicle ... it is not known. But we all need to try to find that young woman.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to K9-Chaser For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2010, 05:30 PM
Until they all come home

couple of new (to me) details in that link

I didn't know she had a bigger purse and a smaller purse and that it was the bigger one left behind on the ground
I didn't know her i.d. and bank cards were in the smaller one that is missing (but there's been no activity on them anyway)
I didn't know she had a couple hundred in cash on her but would that amount last 8 weeks?

It seems like forever she's been gone ... I really hope some kind-hearted citizen picked her up and she's being cared for properly somewhere

COME HOME SARAH!
Old 02-07-2010, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyL View Post

I didn't know she had a bigger purse and a smaller purse and that it was the bigger one left behind on the ground
I didn't know her i.d. and bank cards were in the smaller one that is missing (but there's been no activity on them anyway)
I didn't know she had a couple hundred in cash on her but would that amount last 8 weeks?

It seems like forever she's been gone ... I really hope some kind-hearted citizen picked her up and she's being cared for properly somewhere

COME HOME SARAH!
I didn't know that she left her home at 9:20am. I had thought it was around 10am. That just says to me that she was probably just driving around even longer.
Old 02-07-2010, 07:43 PM
WS Moderator

America's Most Wanted - Web Exclusive

http://www.amw.com/fugitives/case.cfm?id=71131

What happened to Sarah Rogers?

Quote:
Sarah Rogers is an artist and musician.

Sarah Rogers left her home in Barrington, N.H, on the morning of Sunday, Dec. 13, 2009, and hasn't been seen since.
Quote:
Please, on behalf of Sarah's family, help America's Most Wanted find her and call 1-800-CRIME-TV if you have any helpful information. Remember, you can remain anonymous.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to summer_breeze For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2010, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summer_breeze View Post
http://www.amw.com/fugitives/case.cfm?id=71131

What happened to Sarah Rogers?

Thank you for the update and link summer breeze.

I am encouraged by the renewed media attention; and inspired by the continued work and dissemination of information in this case by WSers and the other amazing organizations coming together, for Sarah's sake.

I am confident, that we will not stop until Sarah's home!
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to everyoneneedsavoice For This Useful Post:
Old 02-08-2010, 05:07 PM

Let's all hope that someone will remember seeing Sarah somewhere, then maybe if the sighting can't be substantiated by video footage (if it isn't in a store, etc.), then possibly a K9 can be used to confirm or negate the sighting.
Old 02-09-2010, 09:04 PM
WS Moderator

Thinking of Sarah.
The Following User Says Thank You to summer_breeze For This Useful Post:
Old 02-09-2010, 09:11 PM

nice work k-9 chaser
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rescuemedic For This Useful Post:
Old 02-09-2010, 09:30 PM
Former Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyL View Post

COME HOME SARAH!
The "bigger purse" was more what we would call a backpack.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lavanda Dolce For This Useful Post:
Old 02-09-2010, 09:32 PM
Former Member

Nothing new to report. Keep the prayers going. We're working on trying to get national media attention. If Sarah took a ride with someone trustworthy and took a bus somewhere, and in her condition, by now she could have serious memory impairment. National attention could help to bring forth recognition of her..if in a hospital under an assumed name...or, the person who may have aided her. I'll keep everyone posted as we learn more. Thanks!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lavanda Dolce For This Useful Post:
Old 02-09-2010, 09:53 PM

Has it been described exactly what Sarah was last seen wearing? I've read everything from shorts to a skirt to jeans and tank top to sweatshirt and flip-flops, sandals or dress shoes.