Websleuths
Go Back   Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community > Featured Case Discussion > Hot Cases > Susan Cox Powell

Notices

Susan Cox Powell Missing from West Valley City, Utah, and last seen on December 6, 2009.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-10-2010, 10:37 AM
SCGHOST SCGHOST is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 8
Joshua Powell rents home to neighbors

http://www.sltrib.com/news/ci_14367948
Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SCGHOST For This Useful Post:
  #2  
Old 02-10-2010, 10:38 AM
SCGHOST SCGHOST is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 8
I cant beleave he is alowed to do this so soon
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SCGHOST For This Useful Post:
  #3  
Old 02-10-2010, 10:58 AM
believe09's Avatar
believe09 believe09 is offline
For nothing is secret that will not be revealed
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Oh Captain, My Captain
Posts: 25,946
There is no reason to prevent the house from being rented if it has already been processed as a crime scene OR there isnt sufficient proof that the house is a crime scene.

Maybe the van was the crime scene.

O/T but mentioned in the comment section of the article, it indicates that Susan's parents are refusing to go visit the boys because it would require them to stay with Josh.

That makes no sense to me, FWIW. Those boys need people in their lives who love them and will fight for them. I suspect their mom did both, when all is said and done...JMO.
__________________
email me


Long Lost Love: The Bob Harrod Story Disappeared/ID Network
Amazon: Purchase Long Lost Love $1.99


Bob Harrod SAR


“The first time someone shows you who they are, believe them.”
― Maya Angelou
Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to believe09 For This Useful Post:
  #4  
Old 02-10-2010, 11:07 AM
RubyRed's Avatar
RubyRed RubyRed is offline
Where Are All The Missing ?
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Ontario but a trucker so everywhere.
Posts: 14,858
It is creepy. Can you imagine being in the livingroom, bedroom and garage wondering if this is where it happened. I would probably be on my hands and knees looking under baseboards. Searching for anything Josh may have accidentally left behind. If it does in fact come out that Susan passed away in the home .....
Well, just to creepy for me. I wouldn't live in that home either way, just knowing Susan went missing from there.
__________________


Where is Nancy Moyer?

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...er#post5351180
Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to RubyRed For This Useful Post:
  #5  
Old 02-10-2010, 11:09 AM
believe09's Avatar
believe09 believe09 is offline
For nothing is secret that will not be revealed
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Oh Captain, My Captain
Posts: 25,946
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyRed View Post
It is creepy. Can you imagine being in the livingroom, bedroom and garage wondering if this is where it happened. I would probably be on my hands and knees looking under baseboards. Searching for anything Josh may have accidentally left behind. If it does in fact come out that Susan passed away in the home .....
Well, just to creepy for me. I wouldn't live in that home either way, just knowing Susan went missing from there.
This is why Josh would never have rented to you, lol!! I would be doing that too.
__________________
email me


Long Lost Love: The Bob Harrod Story Disappeared/ID Network
Amazon: Purchase Long Lost Love $1.99


Bob Harrod SAR


“The first time someone shows you who they are, believe them.”
― Maya Angelou
Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to believe09 For This Useful Post:
  #6  
Old 02-10-2010, 11:11 AM
passionflower's Avatar
passionflower passionflower is offline
Just 1 tip to find a killer
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: STEELER COUNTRY!
Posts: 24,258
This is a clear message to me that Susan is not coming back and HE knows it!!!
__________________
Kyron, HALEIGH, ADJI & Gabriel NEEDS PRAYERS NOW TO FIND THEM!. Zahra & Jonathan in heaven
Justice for Hailey!!!!
No Justice for Caylee Marie..........
Reply With Quote
The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to passionflower For This Useful Post:
  #7  
Old 02-10-2010, 11:16 AM
Gin's Avatar
Gin Gin is offline
smiles are wonderfully contagious
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 1,338
Quote:
Originally Posted by believe09 View Post
There is no reason to prevent the house from being rented if it has already been processed as a crime scene OR there isnt sufficient proof that the house is a crime scene.

Maybe the van was the crime scene.

O/T but mentioned in the comment section of the article, it indicates that Susan's parents are refusing to go visit the boys because it would require them to stay with Josh.

That makes no sense to me, FWIW. Those boys need people in their lives who love them and will fight for them. I suspect their mom did both, when all is said and done...JMO.
The Cox family are in a terrible situation, and they are having to deal with a man who is acting like it's no big deal that their daughter has "disappeared".
I'm sure the Cox family wants to see those boys desperately. I can think of a few very good reasons to avoid an unsafe place to visit them, in the short term. Chances are, the Coxes are getting excellent advice. Down the road, they may well petition for custody of those boys.
I have been confused and a bit troubled by some of the friends of Susan/Josh, but the Cox family has never done anything that would make me question their motives. They don't seem to be documenting the chapters of Josh's life. They are not oddly overinvolved with him, they are just requesting he cooperate with police.
I trust the Cox family completely. They have my full and unwavering support.
__________________
I believe in being a resolute voice for crime victims who can no longer speak for themselves.
Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Gin For This Useful Post:
  #8  
Old 02-10-2010, 11:27 AM
believe09's Avatar
believe09 believe09 is offline
For nothing is secret that will not be revealed
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Oh Captain, My Captain
Posts: 25,946
I get your point, Gin. I am not quarterbacking-much is lost in translation in the type of media circus going on in this case....I will say that in their defense.

I fear for the children-especially if either of them witnessed something and can communicate it.
__________________
email me


Long Lost Love: The Bob Harrod Story Disappeared/ID Network
Amazon: Purchase Long Lost Love $1.99


Bob Harrod SAR


“The first time someone shows you who they are, believe them.”
― Maya Angelou
Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to believe09 For This Useful Post:
  #9  
Old 02-10-2010, 11:29 AM
Gin's Avatar
Gin Gin is offline
smiles are wonderfully contagious
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 1,338
Quote:
Originally Posted by believe09 View Post
I get your point, Gin. I am not quarterbacking-much is lost in translation in the type of media circus going on in this case....I will say that in their defense.

I fear for the children-especially if either of them witnessed something and can communicate it.
BBM-Well put, and I completely agree.
__________________
I believe in being a resolute voice for crime victims who can no longer speak for themselves.
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gin For This Useful Post:
  #10  
Old 02-10-2010, 12:20 PM
PickieChickie PickieChickie is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 1,465
A ficticious conversation between the new tenants!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGHOST View Post
I wonder why this reporter didn't include whether JP flew back to Washington or drove the family van!

A conversation between the new residents of 6254 W. Sarah Circle:

Wife: Did you lock all the doors and windows?
Husband: I thought we agreed to keep everything locked, even during the day!
Wife: Right! Did you check all the doors and windows?
Husband: No!
Wife: Why?
Husband: Because you did!
Wife: No, I didn't!
Husband: Well, I'm already in bed and you are up so you do it!
Wife: I won't!
Husband: Why?
Wife: I'm not going out there!
Husband: Oh brother! Just go check!
Wife: You promised me, when we discussed renting this house, that you would keep me safe so you go do it!
Husband: (Slides open night stand drawer): Smith, Wesson and I will protect you!
Wife: Where did you get that!!!!!
Husband: I found it today when I installed the ceiling fan!
Wife: What do you mean?!!
Husband: Remember the stack of bran new ceiling fans shrink wrapped together down in the basement that JP said he was going to return to KMart the next time he comes down?
Wife: Yes!
Husband: Well, I figured that I'd just install them then give him the money!
Wife: But what does that have to do with the gun?
Husband: Well, when I opened the first box, this gun and an opened box of bullets was in it! I figure an employee at KMart hid them in the box then planned on having one of their friends buy the fan but there was a mix up and JP bought the fan instead!
Wife: That's really strange! Did you call KMart?
Husband: No! I called JP!
Wife: When? What did he say?


(You all can add onto this if you like!)

Last edited by PickieChickie; 02-10-2010 at 12:22 PM.
Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to PickieChickie For This Useful Post:
  #11  
Old 02-10-2010, 03:24 PM
gwenabob's Avatar
gwenabob gwenabob is offline
A nice girl with a disturbing hobby
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: City of Roses, Portland, Oregon
Posts: 2,405
[quote=believe09;4794518]There is no reason to prevent the house from being rented if it has already been processed as a crime scene OR there isnt sufficient proof that the house is a crime scene.

Actually, many home mortgage contracts have a clause that says you may not use the home as a rental unless you have permission from the lender. I know mine does. Mortgage lenders want to know if the home is being occupied by the owner or renters for obvious reasons. I wonder if his lender knows he is renting it out? If he has broken the terms of the contract, they could foreclose immediately. I feel bad for the people who rented the house. They could be out on their hind ends sooner than they expect!
Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to gwenabob For This Useful Post:
  #12  
Old 02-10-2010, 03:30 PM
PickieChickie PickieChickie is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 1,465
[quote=gwenabob;4795462]
Quote:
Originally Posted by believe09 View Post
There is no reason to prevent the house from being rented if it has already been processed as a crime scene OR there isnt sufficient proof that the house is a crime scene.

Actually, many home mortgage contracts have a clause that says you may not use the home as a rental unless you have permission from the lender. I know mine does. Mortgage lenders want to know if the home is being occupied by the owner or renters for obvious reasons. I wonder if his lender knows he is renting it out? If he has broken the terms of the contract, they could foreclose immediately. I feel bad for the people who rented the house. They could be out on their hind ends sooner than they expect!
Checking the deed at the Salt Lake County Recorder's office will provide the name of the lender. However, one has to go there in person or have an account to access the documents online.
Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PickieChickie For This Useful Post:
  #13  
Old 02-10-2010, 06:39 PM
RayO RayO is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 116
[quote=gwenabob;4795462]
Quote:
Originally Posted by believe09 View Post
There is no reason to prevent the house from being rented if it has already been processed as a crime scene OR there isnt sufficient proof that the house is a crime scene.

Actually, many home mortgage contracts have a clause that says you may not use the home as a rental unless you have permission from the lender. I know mine does. Mortgage lenders want to know if the home is being occupied by the owner or renters for obvious reasons. I wonder if his lender knows he is renting it out? If he has broken the terms of the contract, they could foreclose immediately. I feel bad for the people who rented the house. They could be out on their hind ends sooner than they expect!
They could, but in the current home market and relatively high unemployment they probably have their hands full with all people who are late on payments. For the renters' sake I hope he keeps making payments. Unless he is cash-flow positive with the rent that may not be a safe assumption.
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RayO For This Useful Post:
  #14  
Old 02-10-2010, 10:00 PM
Mesmerized's Avatar
Mesmerized Mesmerized is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 40
I wonder if they will move in with the living room floor "as is"...with half the carpet missing where presumably [at least some messy part] of the deed was done?

Now I'm feeling like I might throw up a little in my mouth.
Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mesmerized For This Useful Post:
  #15  
Old 02-10-2010, 10:09 PM
RayO RayO is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 116
Presumably the carpet was replaced in that room if he was going to the trouble to fix-up the basement. Should be easy, especially with all the furniture out.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RayO For This Useful Post:
  #16  
Old 02-10-2010, 10:12 PM
diphi's Avatar
diphi diphi is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: NC
Posts: 772
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mesmerized View Post
I wonder if they will move in with the living room floor "as is"...with half the carpet missing where presumably [at least some messy part] of the deed was done?

Now I'm feeling like I might throw up a little in my mouth.
I know.

But, surely he replaced the carpet? Did any neighbors see new carpet coming in the house? I find it really surprising that we don't have any reports of his activity while he worked on his house.
Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to diphi For This Useful Post:
  #17  
Old 02-10-2010, 10:32 PM
RubyRed's Avatar
RubyRed RubyRed is offline
Where Are All The Missing ?
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Ontario but a trucker so everywhere.
Posts: 14,858
Quote:
Originally Posted by diphi View Post
I know.

But, surely he replaced the carpet? Did any neighbors see new carpet coming in the house? I find it really surprising that we don't have any reports of his activity while he worked on his house.
Exactly, which has me thinking it is someone that knows Susan . So it is being kept quiet. I sure wish the swing set neighbor would enlighten us.

eta; maybe it is the mooner.
__________________


Where is Nancy Moyer?

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...er#post5351180

Last edited by RubyRed; 02-10-2010 at 10:52 PM. Reason: to add
Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to RubyRed For This Useful Post:
  #18  
Old 02-10-2010, 11:20 PM
grayjay grayjay is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: between black and white
Posts: 1,056
In Star Wars, it's "Move along folks. Nothing to see here." I just keep reminding myself of Josh turning white as a sheet and what that means.
Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to grayjay For This Useful Post:
  #19  
Old 02-11-2010, 11:55 AM
RubyRed's Avatar
RubyRed RubyRed is offline
Where Are All The Missing ?
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Ontario but a trucker so everywhere.
Posts: 14,858
Another one of Susan's neighbors, April Lipsey, told Examiner Tuesdsay, "I went by Susan's house today and almost all of the decorations are gone. I noticed one of Susan's ribbons in the gutter."

The rest are probably in the trash.



http://www.examiner.com/x-34328-Seat...e-ribbons-gone
__________________


Where is Nancy Moyer?

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...er#post5351180
Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RubyRed For This Useful Post:
  #20  
Old 02-12-2010, 03:38 AM
GrandmaTo4 GrandmaTo4 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: California
Posts: 1,099
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyRed View Post
Exactly, which has me thinking it is someone that knows Susan . So it is being kept quiet. I sure wish the swing set neighbor would enlighten us.

eta; maybe it is the mooner.
(bbm)

According to this quote, Kiirsti Hellewell implies that the new renters DO know Susan.

Over two months later, here we go again with the CNN statements of hope that Susan is alive and might want to return to her house.

Then why is no one on TV begging the kidnappers to return her -- NOT Kiirsti - NOT the Cox family -- NO ONE ?

This makes absolutely no sense at all!

<<snip>>

News that the home was rented has been met with mixed feelings. “I know they (the tenants) care about Susan a great deal and they are anxious not to let her home go back to the bank or anything.”

Friends and family of Susan Powell have not given up hope that she will be found alive, which is why Hellewell is not angry about Mr. Powell’s decision. “If she is ever found she may want to come home one day,” she said. “So even though I don’t agree with the people moving in, I’m not going to hold it against them.”


More at the link

http://ac360.blogs.cnn.com/2010/02/1...ut-their-home/
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GrandmaTo4 For This Useful Post:
  #21  
Old 02-12-2010, 11:09 AM
RayO RayO is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 116
bolding mine

News that the home was rented has been met with mixed feelings. “I know they (the tenants) care about Susan a great deal and they are anxious not to let her home go back to the bank or anything.”




I'm sorry but these people are delusional. There is zero evidence that she was kidnapped or walked-out and no word from her or her alleged kidnappers for 2 months. The renters are only helping Josh at this point. The children could be cared-for by the Coxes, so Josh's financial situation is no longer relevant to them. In fact if Josh is insolvent it increases the chances that the Coxes could obtain custody.
Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to RayO For This Useful Post:
  #22  
Old 02-12-2010, 12:53 PM
Gin's Avatar
Gin Gin is offline
smiles are wonderfully contagious
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 1,338
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayO View Post
bolding mine

News that the home was rented has been met with mixed feelings. “I know they (the tenants) care about Susan a great deal and they are anxious not to let her home go back to the bank or anything.”




I'm sorry but these people are delusional. There is zero evidence that she was kidnapped or walked-out and no word from her or her alleged kidnappers for 2 months. The renters are only helping Josh at this point. The children could be cared-for by the Coxes, so Josh's financial situation is no longer relevant to them. In fact if Josh is insolvent it increases the chances that the Coxes could obtain custody.
BBM. Exactly! I just don't understand the desire to enable. You either are OK with consequences, or not. We need to remember one thing--this is a shockingly disgusting situation. This "husband" refuses to cooperate with police in any way and acts like his wife never existed. I would so prefer it if the dear friends of the missing wife and mother banded together and quietly and politely declined to assist the "husband" with meals, packing, cleaning, moving, repairing the basement, and now, paying the mortgage.
__________________
I believe in being a resolute voice for crime victims who can no longer speak for themselves.
Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Gin For This Useful Post:
  #23  
Old 02-12-2010, 01:47 PM
grayjay grayjay is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: between black and white
Posts: 1,056
I don't understand it and it feels bad. If it were a strategy designed to let LE have better access, it could still backfire on POI. I'm still hoping for that and that this isn't the straight out enabling that it looks like.

It seems like f&f still haven't moved beyond the initial shock and denial about Susan. Two months is a long time for staying on the fence and helping Josh. Without the anger, there's a surreal quality to the whole thing.
Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to grayjay For This Useful Post:
  #24  
Old 02-12-2010, 01:50 PM
teacher 3 teacher 3 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 55
Gin, thanks
You said it all. Many of us agree with you..so so sad. It's as if she never existed....truthfully, it brings me to tears just thinking about it. . I am a teacher and I can tell you the kids need help or they are going to be very messed up. Afterall, it's their mother who is missing; someone they loved very much.
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to teacher 3 For This Useful Post:
  #25  
Old 02-12-2010, 03:11 PM
PickieChickie PickieChickie is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 1,465
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gin View Post
BBM. Exactly! I just don't understand the desire to enable. You either are OK with consequences, or not. We need to remember one thing--this is a shockingly disgusting situation. This "husband" refuses to cooperate with police in any way and acts like his wife never existed. I would so prefer it if the dear friends of the missing wife and mother banded together and quietly and politely declined to assist the "husband" with meals, packing, cleaning, moving, repairing the basement, and now, paying the mortgage.
One has to wonder what the genuine motivations behind these "enablers" actions are! Since it appears the majority, if not all of them, are Christians (Mormons), is their willingness to enable based on their Christian beliefs?

Or, were they helping because of a chance to appear in news coverage of the particular events? And, who brings their children to help a man like JP move? Do we love everyone no matter what they have done? Or, do we let them fend for themselves so they suffer consequences for their actions?

Since I've never been put into the position as those who have volunteered to assist JP since Susan's disappearance, I do not know what I would do if I were called upon to assist a fellow church member in the same position. (I would think it was a matter of people convincing others to help and, depending on who was involved, I might help if they were convincing enough, especially if they made me feel that refusing to help would be an unChristlike thing to do.) However, I highly doubt I would want to be near such a man as JP and that I would have scolded the person calling me for even considering helping a potential murderer!

Yes, being "nice" to JP enables people to spend time with him during which they can learn potentially valuable information to give to the police. However, if that was the true motivation, is that a sin?

Is it wrong to PRETEND to be JP's friend when a person really despises him? With the support system JP has, no wonder he is able to accomplish so much in such a short amount of time.

Shame on the people who rented the house! When is JP going to have to start suffering consequences for his despicable behavior?

Last edited by PickieChickie; 02-12-2010 at 03:17 PM.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PickieChickie For This Useful Post:
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Found Deceased IN - Arthur Joshua, 39, & Latavia Joshua, 35, Jan 2009 CASuzk Located! Information and Support 15 01-20-2009 04:17 PM
Neighbors and Keys to The Ramsey Home Camper JonBenet Ramsey 7 07-11-2005 07:12 PM
Man gets back at neighbors by painting home brilliant green Casshew Bizarre and Off-Beat News 2 12-24-2004 11:58 PM


© Copyright Websleuths 1999-2012 New To Site? Need Help?
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:48 AM.

Advertisements

Pre-Order Imperfect Justice: Prosecuting Casey Anthony today!