Websleuths
Go Back   Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community > Current Events > Crimes in the News

Notices

Crimes in the News Read and comment about current crimes committed. Remember the copyright laws when posting news stories!

Old 02-12-2010, 06:04 PM

Las Vegas 4 month old dead in axe attack

http://www.ktnv.com/global/story.asp?s=11971709

"Las Vegas Metro Homicide detectives are investigating a grizzly attack that left a 4-month-old boy dead and two others wounded.

Police were called to 1600 block of San Pedro Avenue, near Maryland Parkway and Sahara, just before noon on Thursday. Investigators say the 33-year-old suspect, Harold Montague, came out of his house with an axe and toward a woman who was walking her son in a stroller.

Moments later, the man reportedly went on the attack, swinging the axe at both mom and son. Police say the attack was random, and the axe wielding man did not know the woman and her baby.

The witness who dialed 911 says she tried to intervene."

More at link
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Missizzy For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2010, 06:07 PM

Man states that he blacked out before killing his child with a "battle axe".

http://www.torontosun.com/news/world.../12858511.html
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Missizzy For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2010, 07:50 PM
Banned

jesus wept
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to kbl8201 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2010, 09:50 PM
KICKING AND SHINING

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missizzy View Post
Man states that he blacked out before killing his child with a "battle axe".

http://www.torontosun.com/news/world.../12858511.html
He was caring for his mentally ill SIL? Did he take meds of someone else I wonder? Plus other little kids in the house? He didn't harm them, but goes out and murders an infant and mother who are strangers?

Jesus sure did weep.

Prayers for the SIL and this poor, poor mom.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Filly For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2010, 10:15 PM

Sometimes these events are so unbelievable -- and always heartbreaking.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Openmind For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2010, 11:42 PM

My heart just breaks for the neighbor who confronted him but wasn't able to stop him. I sure as heck hope that victim witness funds cover trauma therapy for innocent bystanders.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Missizzy For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2010, 12:43 AM

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100213/...NwZWN0aW5heHM-

Suspect in ax slaying tells police he blacked out

"A man wielding a medieval-style battle ax wounded his sister-in-law before going on a deadly, random rampage with the weapon outside his Las Vegas home, killing a 4-month-old baby and critically injuring the child's mother, police said Friday.

Harold E. Montague told police he doesn't remember the attack. He didn't know the woman or the boy he is accused of hacking with the blade of the ax during the rampage a little before noon Thursday on a residential street about a mile east of Las Vegas Boulevard, police Lt. Lewis Roberts said.

Montague, 33, also is accused of stabbing his sister-in-law, a mentally disabled woman, more than 20 times with a point of the ax before bursting out of a home into the street.
"We don't know what set him off," Roberts said after Montague was interviewed by homicide detectives and taken to the Clark County jail.

"He claims he blacked out. He said he doesn't remember anything," Roberts said."

and

"Garner said she wanted to help the baby in the overturned stroller next to a widening pool of blood on the pavement, and had to keep his severely wounded and disfigured mother from trying to stand.

"I'm surprised she lived," Garner said of the woman, identified by police as Sandra Lisset Castro. "Her whole face was gone. She had a big gaping wound on the top of her head."

"She kept saying, 'Help my baby! help my baby!'"

Garner said it was obvious the child was already dead. The Clark County coroner reported that 4-month-old Damien Avila-Castro died of multiple head wounds."

Rest in peace little Damien. You're all safe and warm now. Hear the lullabies?

And kbl, I'm not so sure Jesus is weeping. He knows we're human and fallible. Plus, he's busy taking care of a lot of little ones these days. He's a busy guy. Maybe, late at night, when they're all down for the night, he sips a little wine and tears up. He's a mighty strong guy, though, and He knows His work is cut out for Him. JMO.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Missizzy For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2010, 04:49 AM
Watch us lie to cover for 'Princess'

OMG! Unbelievable! Watched the video interview with his wife on the link in 1st post...seems like lots of mental problems, but no medication?

Sitting here just shaking my head in disbelief!
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to mitzi For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2010, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitzi View Post
OMG! Unbelievable! Watched the video interview with his wife on the link in 1st post...seems like lots of mental problems, but no medication?

So, the SIL is the one with the mental problems??? What about Harold ?? And why would anyone need a medieval-style battle ax in Las Vegas? Does he work at The Luxor??? This is just so sickening.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Suthrnqt For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2010, 05:28 AM
Retired WS Staff

Quote:

The wife seems to be in denial....doesn't want people to think he's crazy & says he's not violent...yet she says he's schizophrenic, bi-polar, depressed,etc. & doesn't believe in taking meds (which is exactly what many schizophrenics say).

My first reaction was this guy must be schizophrenic.

Because if he's not, the only thing left is a dark, evil spirit within him to do something like this.
~~ Mother Theresa ~~

Where is Rachel Cooke? Missing since 10-Jan-2002
Rachel's thread - WS
RachelCookeSearch.org
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Texas Mist For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2010, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Mist View Post
The wife seems to be in denial....doesn't want people to think he's crazy & says he's not violent...yet she says he's schizophrenic, bi-polar, depressed,etc. & doesn't believe in taking meds (which is exactly what many schizophrenics say).

My first reaction was this guy must be schizophrenic.

Because if he's not, the only thing left is a dark, evil spirit within him to do something like this.

Not only is the wife in denial, she has been in denial for some time. If he is schizophrenic, bi-polar, depressed, etc -- that is not normal. Taking meds is not an option. The meds are what allows a person with these kind of issues to function more normally in the world and prevent them from being violent. Tragic that he had conditions that needed intervention and nothing was done.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Openmind For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2010, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missizzy View Post
My heart just breaks for the neighbor who confronted him but wasn't able to stop him. I sure as heck hope that victim witness funds cover trauma therapy for innocent bystanders.
Thank goodness this neighbor had the courage to confront the man. How many times do we read that people just watched and did nothing until the media shows up and then they come out to tell what they saw. This woman took an action.

Quote:
She remembers the short period between Montague's disappearance into his house and the arrival of police, when the woman was alone on the street with her dead son.
"I was trying to help her and the baby," she said through tears. "But they were so hacked up. I didn't know what to do for them."
One thing she took some solace from was a phone call from a police officer Friday morning. They told her the injured women were still alive, and the two children at Montague's residence were unharmed and safe.
The police attributed some of that to her scaring Montague away from Castro before her wounds became fatal, she said, as well as her quickness in calling 911.
"They said I may have saved four people's lives," she said. "I just wish I could have done something to stop this."
http://www.lvrj.com/news/neighbor-re...-84281882.html
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Openmind For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2010, 10:46 AM

Quote:

Maybe somebody should put this SOB out of his misery.
I have mental illness in my family too. (daughter with bipolar )

but killing is just one thing that makes me outraged.

We're flexible like that.

Last edited by songline; 02-13-2010 at 10:57 AM.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to songline For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2010, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Openmind View Post
Thank goodness this neighbor had the courage to confront the man. How many times do we read that people just watched and did nothing until the media shows up and then they come out to tell what they saw. This woman took an action.

http://www.lvrj.com/news/neighbor-re...-84281882.html
AND thank goodness the neighbor did not get the AX too.
Too many mental people now a days.
WTF is going on?????

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to songline For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2010, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suthrnqt View Post
So, the SIL is the one with the mental problems??? What about Harold ?? And why would anyone need a medieval-style battle ax in Las Vegas? Does he work at The Luxor??? This is just so sickening.
Very good question... Maybe with a lot of mental illness in the family history, there should be no weapons but unfortunately, all a mental person has to do is go to the kitchen if he has such tendencies.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to songline For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2010, 12:06 PM
<----The bravest little guy I've ever met.

Wow!
I hope it was just random brutality, as opposed to true evil. Some defect or mental illness that made him just snap. I am always terrified that these cases will become the norm, the ones where there is no way to plan, no reason to believe that somwthing bad could even happen.

These are the cases where I worry about everyone in the immediate area, not just the obvious victims. It's hard to process this kind of violence, especially when people did try to intervene and one of the victims is so young.

I'd never ask God to tell me what the plan is, but days like this I could use more reasurance that there really is a plan. Where's the lesson in this one?

ETA: Although the axe doesn't really strike me odd (I collect weapons). I just wonder if he was a collector and the axe happened to be the first handy thing or if he planned this with the axe already in mind.

Last edited by not_my_kids; 02-13-2010 at 12:11 PM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to not_my_kids For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2010, 01:51 PM
KICKING AND SHINING

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suthrnqt View Post
This is what I wondered.

Good lookout on The Luxor.

Maybe he collected like NMK said. Then again with all these mental problem issues somebody should have thought to get that stuff out of there.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Filly For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2010, 02:38 PM

I've been reading so many horrible stories lately but this one's really getting to me. I just couldn't imagine walking with my baby and all of a sudden some crazy guy comes at us with an axe. I feel so so so bad for the mother. I know it was in no way her fault but if it were me I know for the rest of my life I would be thinking 'if I only didn't take that walk'. I am really so heartbroken for her.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kitty Kat For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2010, 03:03 PM

My gosh, I must commend the neighbor who through fear (I am sure), confronted and scared this "man" away! I am actually surprised we are not reading about her being injured or killed also.

This poor mother, taking her wee one for a walk and to have this happen! I can only imagine the horror and sorrow she must be feeling. God bless her, and wee one, have a wonderful time TWA!!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SunnieRN For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2010, 03:32 PM

I am just gob-smacked that a woman could leave her sister and her children in the care of an extremely unstable and mentally ill man and go off to work. I actually wonder about her grasp on reality. There's a lot of mental illness in that family. I'm making the assumption that the sister-in-law was the man's wife's sister. She was so ill he had to "care" for her all the while he was also caring for two young children with another at school? A total disaster just begging to happen--even with lots of support and meds.

I've watched the video several times of the neighbor. What an amazing person. I think she should be an honorary WSer. I feel that there's so many of us on these threads who would have the knee jerk reaction to go towards the violence instead of away. She's a hero in my book. I'm sure she's so traumatized and pray that she has a loving support system. If this young mom makes it, she owes her life to this woman. Even if she doesn't this woman risked her life for people she didn't even know.

My prayers go out to all who were impacted. I'm sure that whole neighborhood will be in shock for some time. I hope a local church or community center will realize that and spread around some love.

Last edited by Missizzy; 02-13-2010 at 03:54 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Missizzy For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2010, 03:50 PM

http://www.lasvegasnow.com/Global/story.asp?S=11980518

I'm failing to grasp how a woman can be married to a man she readily describes as a Paranoid Schizophrenic who does not "believe in drugs" and can leave him to deal with the stressors of caring for an adult with disabilities and three children. She states that he's been pacing the floor and hasn't slept recently. Can someone please go and shake this woman.

I'm feeling that she is overwhelmingly complicit in this act. It's akin to watching your husband building bombs in the back room and then being surprised when something gets blown up. My Lord, why was she surprised by the call? She says she's been "with him" for 18 years (and he's 33?) and that they've known each other since Kindergarten. This woman surely knew he was seriously in trouble.

I want to know why she's not being questioned as an accessory. She failed to protect!!

And here's an updated version of one of the articles posted above with more info:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100213/...NwZWN0aW5heHM-

"Montague swapped one weapon for another one like it before going outside."
Old 02-13-2010, 04:07 PM

Erricca Montague refers to the attacked woman in the house as her sister. I'm finding a Harold and an Erricca at several addresses along with a S. Montague. I guess this could be one of the children but if it's the disabled woman who was attacked, what would the family relationship be?

I'm wondering if the three adults are all siblings or half siblings? Erricca did say that she's known the guy since Kindergarten and that they've been together since he was 15 (per my research, she's a year younger). Something's not jiving.

Last edited by Missizzy; 02-13-2010 at 04:09 PM.
Old 02-13-2010, 04:27 PM

Just throwing this out there. It could be nothing. Notice that the last name is Montague. The attacker's name is Harold....not a super common name for a 33 year old man. Do some googling and you'll come up with an awful lot about King Harold, battle axes, and Montagues in the Renaissance Fairs and Re-enactments. I wonder if they've legally changed their names?

http://www.lvrenfair.com/poster-archive.asp

http://www.texrenfest.com/directions.html

FWIW, I live in Ashland, OR, home of the Oregon Shakespeare Festival. We have over 300,000 theatre goers ever year. We have a gorgeous park in the center of town which hosts frequent "re-enactments". Lots of sword play and axes, too. Through personal experience, I've known several of the entertainers to possess bold and unique personalities. I've often thought that many of them need to be on meds of some kind. They take their playing very seriously and are rarely "out of character".

I'm just wondering about this man. There's something we haven't been told yet.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Missizzy For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2010, 07:49 PM
A Nancy Drew Wannabe

Oh my god.........I'm speechless and sickened.

A 4 month old...........a 4 month old..........

I just don't know what to say anymore.
Old 02-13-2010, 08:27 PM
Inactive

Neighbor On Ax Attack: This Is Devastating
Baby Killed In Ax Attack, 2 Women Injured
POSTED: 10:13 pm PST February 12, 2010
UPDATED: 10:57 pm PST February 12, 2010

Article: http://www.fox5vegas.com/news/22553179/detail.html

Video: Neighbors Still Reeling From Ax Attack
http://www.fox5vegas.com/video/22553267/index.html

Video: Witness: I Tried To Stop Ax Attack
http://www.fox5vegas.com/video/22540310/index.html

Rest in peace, baby Damian Avila Castro.

Praying for mom.

Last edited by BeanE; 02-13-2010 at 08:29 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BeanE For This Useful Post: