Websleuths
Go Back   Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community > Current Events > Crimes in the News

Notices

Crimes in the News Read and comment about current crimes committed. Remember the copyright laws when posting news stories!

Old 07-14-2004, 09:00 AM
Banned

Mom & Boyfriend charged in horrific child abuse against baby

HARLINGEN — For the last four and a half months, a baby endured abuse that included two fractured bones in his left arm, another fracture in his right arm, a broken leg and bruises to his jaw, abdomen and thighs.

Now the baby’s mother and her boyfriend are accused of causing those and other injuries to the baby, as well as feeding the baby spoiled, raw meat.
http://www.themonitor.com/SiteProces...&Section=Local

Last edited by JBean; 08-20-2009 at 09:55 AM. Reason: copyright infringement
Old 07-15-2004, 11:51 AM

OMG!!!! I was there was a smilies for crying. That is what I did when I read this. My daughter is 1 year old and I can not imagine harming her. If she hated her son that much, why not give him up. This woman should never be allowed to have another child.

One word: Hysterectomy

Hope she goes away for a long time. Probably will only get probation!
Old 07-15-2004, 02:22 PM

I know I'll probably infuriate pro-lifers with this, but...if this baby was going to ruin her life, why didn't she terminate the pregnancy? If she was opposed to abortion, she could have put the baby up for adoption. Or hey, here is a novel concept. USE BIRTH CONTROL!!!

GO STEELERS!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lisad71 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2004, 03:01 PM
Team Rachael

How sick. At least the baby is alive and will hopefully be placed with a good family. I hope that selfish witch of a mother goes to jail. They should beat her and feed her spoiled meat. I can't believe any parent would do that to a baby. I will take all of these babies in..there is no need to hurt them. Why did she just put him up for adoption?
Old 07-23-2004, 12:36 AM
Overreaching

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisad71
I know I'll probably infuriate pro-lifers with this, but...if this baby was going to ruin her life, why didn't she terminate the pregnancy? If she was opposed to abortion, she could have put the baby up for adoption. Or hey, here is a novel concept. USE BIRTH CONTROL!!!
That isn't an infuriating idea to pro-lifers. Do you think we want children born alive for this kind of unthinkable abuse? Right to life doesn't mean right to abuse.

But we probably both agree on birth control. Hopefully, a hysterectomy for this woman.

She could have put the child up for adoption even at his age now. The fact she didn't says that there is a lot more sick stuff with this young woman than anyone of us probably wants to know. She had choices, but chose to hurt the baby in horrific ways--This person is not just some teen mother who was overwhelmed with a baby's crying and shook him.

She's sick and evil.
Old 07-24-2004, 12:28 AM
A diamond in process

not human

they, but esp. that mother does not deserve to be called human. we need to develop a word that shows just how low they are. inhuman, sub-human, evil and monster just do not seem low enough.

Why is it that when a custodial parent fails to provide for a child it is called neglect and is a criminal matter. But when a non custodial parent fails to provide it is called failure to support and is a civil matter?

"Just when the caterpillar thought its world was over, it became a butterfly" ~ Michelle Knight
Old 07-24-2004, 04:02 PM
Banned

There needs to be a legal way a mother who hates her baby, doesn't want her baby, can take the baby to an ER, or a police station, or fire station along with the baby's birth certificate and photo ID of herself and sign the baby away without recourse--no arrest, no trial, no nothing. That way these babies might not be abused, they can be *disposed of* to trustworthy people, then adopted to loving homes. There has to be some way similar to help save these dear little ones.
Old 07-26-2004, 06:34 AM
A diamond in process

there is

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueJeanne
There needs to be a legal way a mother who hates her baby, doesn't want her baby, can take the baby to an ER, or a police station, or fire station along with the baby's birth certificate and photo ID of herself and sign the baby away without recourse--no arrest, no trial, no nothing. That way these babies might not be abused, they can be *disposed of* to trustworthy people, then adopted to loving homes. There has to be some way similar to help save these dear little ones.
There is a law that in this state is called the baby moses law. she could have taken the child to hosp or fire station up to the age of 2mos. and left the child, with no questions asked. also she could have taken the child to any social services agency and explained and they would have taken the child and put it up for adoption.
many states now have laws now that is similiar to the baby moses law, up to a certain age of the child (age varies from a few days to a few months) they can take the child to certain public places like fire stations and hospitals. they don't even have to explain why. they hand the child over and the child is given to children services agencies and put up for adoption. unfortunately, somehow the info. on this not getting to the pregnant women. the law is designed to prevent the newborns from being put into dumpsters. and could possibly have helped in this case, if she had taken action earlier. I am not sure where how they are putting info about this law out except I have seen it in newspapers.

Why is it that when a custodial parent fails to provide for a child it is called neglect and is a criminal matter. But when a non custodial parent fails to provide it is called failure to support and is a civil matter?

"Just when the caterpillar thought its world was over, it became a butterfly" ~ Michelle Knight
Old 08-19-2009, 09:17 PM

I cannot believe this. This girl should be treated this way. At 18 she should be treated this way. What a self centered witch. I cannot understand why or how anyone can treat an innocent child this way. I am so mad right now. At least this child lived and has a chance to be put with a loving family. Pray that happens.
Old 08-19-2009, 09:27 PM
Lifetime WS Non-Mod

What an evil, evil monster this woman is!
I pray this baby is in a wonderful foster home where he is being lavished with love and attention and that he finds a permanent/forever family that will cherish him more than life itself.
Old 08-19-2009, 10:20 PM

We say it over and over again...how can people just have babies with no prior education about being a parent. WTH is wrong with her....has any of these POS "parents" heard of adoption. Babies don't ruin our lives...people ruin their own lives and always have a choice. I'm so mad right now! I pray for that baby boy!
Old 08-19-2009, 10:25 PM

For what it's worth...I had my baby at 19 with no prior education of being a parent, however, I was in love with her from the time I knew I was pregnant. Scared, heck yes! Now she's 18 and a pre-med student. What I'm saying is that not everyone that has babies so young is going to be a bad parent at all...but time and time again we hear about these poor innocent babies being abused, tortured, and sometimes killed by the people they trust the most. It's so wrong in all aspects.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lucy's mom For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2009, 01:29 AM

I'm constantly shocked at the level human beings will stoop to. Why? Just...Why? How could anyone harm even a hair on an innocent child's head?! I hope she and the boyfriend rot in jail.
Old 08-20-2009, 01:39 AM
Bring HaLeigh Home !!!

Veronica Martinez was sentenced to 20 years
not long enough in my book
the boyfriend got probation

http://www.sergiochapa.com/files/baby.pdf
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RJA00 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2009, 01:48 AM
Future Bucs QB

This sounds horrible, but I think it's something psychological that should be explored. If she wanted the baby dead so badly, why didn't she succeed? She was a grown adult against a helpless baby.

Is this a case of sadism? Was her resentment and rage so great that she'd rather torture the baby than kill him? Driving to a Walmart to spoil meat just boggles the mind. You can't spoil meat in your backyard? And anyone with a baby that age knows that babies have a reflex that wouldn't allow him to swallow the meat. She might as well have shoved it in there in an effort to choke him.

This is just a bizarre story. Something doesn't add up. It's more like a Munchausen case than anything else. The psychological implications are startling.
The Following User Says Thank You to MomofBoys For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2009, 02:12 AM

I'm sorry but I agree. I think abortion would have have been a viable option for her situation.

Well at least the baby is not being cared for by her anymore. But who knows what the state system has in store for this baby now. You here about the crazy foster parents and sicko adoptive parents.... poor baby.
The Following User Says Thank You to tarago For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2009, 09:56 AM
Future Bucs QB

Well, if she had aborted the baby he wouldn't have a second chance at a really good life. He has that now. Thank God he'll never remember the things that happened to him.
Old 08-20-2009, 10:26 AM
For nothing is secret that will not be revealed

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomofBoys View Post
Well, if she had aborted the baby he wouldn't have a second chance at a really good life. He has that now. Thank God he'll never remember the things that happened to him.
I wonder about memory, TBH. I wonder if there is an imprint on this child and he will retain some knowlege of the pain and suffering-if you think about how babies need nurturing right out of the gate and he recieved none of that for a remarkable period of time.

Long Lost Love: The Bob Harrod Story Disappeared/ID Network
Amazon: Purchase Long Lost Love $1.99

Bob Harrod SAR

“The first time someone shows you who they are, believe them.”
― Maya Angelou
The Following User Says Thank You to believe09 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2009, 10:58 AM
Future Bucs QB

Yeah, I mean, I'm sure it was traumatic, but he won't have the acute memories. He might need some extra love and careful attention for a long while, but he doesn't have to live with the day-to-day mental replaying of everything that's happened to him. I think with a loving, insightful caregiver he'll grow up just fine. Kids have been suffering awful abuse for years and many have gone on to have fulfilling lives, or to be advocates.

It'd be interesting to hear the perspective of a early childhood professional. My biggest fear would be the lack of nurturing he's received, not the abuse. Wasn't there anyone else in this child's life? Her mother? The biological dad's parents? Anyone? In my family, a baby is a community project, LOL. I have to beat off the grandparents with a stick! It's so bizarre to see a baby without doting grandparents or aunts or uncles somewhere in the picture.
Old 08-20-2009, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJA00 View Post
Veronica Martinez was sentenced to 20 years
not long enough in my book
the boyfriend got probation

http://www.sergiochapa.com/files/baby.pdf
He got probation?? That is so wrong!! And, she should be serving life!!
Old 08-20-2009, 11:29 AM

I know countless wonderful mothers that never had a parenting handbook how to raise their children. They didn't need one because imo they truly were the nurturers that they were intended to be and fell in love with their baby even before it was born and even those babies that may have come along at an unexpected time in their lives.

I don't know why we are seeing more and more so called mothers who are doing this but in place of love, bonding and nurturing is anger, hate, resentment, horrible cruelty and looking at these children if they were burdens instead of the blessings they are.

We are losing innocent lives everyday this way and it only seems to worsen.

Gone is the needs of the defenseless child and it its place it seems it has become all about "ME,ME,ME!": furious:

imo
Old 08-20-2009, 11:59 AM
For nothing is secret that will not be revealed

We have already stated it on this thread, but say it with me-
Birth Control, people.

Long Lost Love: The Bob Harrod Story Disappeared/ID Network
Amazon: Purchase Long Lost Love $1.99

Bob Harrod SAR

“The first time someone shows you who they are, believe them.”
― Maya Angelou
The Following User Says Thank You to believe09 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2009, 12:18 PM

I feel so sorry for this little boy, who should be loved and adored, and I worry for his future and how he will now develop. We have two foster Children in our care one we got when he was just 4 days old he is 3 years old now and is perfect in every way (except a little spoilt, but hey what can I say he is adorable) and the other one we got at four months old and the difference between them is so sad we had to spend the first 6 months to a year teaching her to trust and encouraging her to bond she is nearly two now and I think her development both mentally and Physically will always be delayed.. (she too is spoil, but again I hold my hands up).
Hopefully this little boy will find a family that will love him and be able to help him become the best that he can be..
Old 08-20-2009, 12:45 PM

Quote:
This sounds horrible, but I think it's something psychological that should be explored. If she wanted the baby dead so badly, why didn't she succeed? She was a grown adult against a helpless baby.

Is this a case of sadism? Was her resentment and rage so great that she'd rather torture the baby than kill him? Driving to a Walmart to spoil meat just boggles the mind. You can't spoil meat in your backyard? And anyone with a baby that age knows that babies have a reflex that wouldn't allow him to swallow the meat. She might as well have shoved it in there in an effort to choke him.

This is just a bizarre story. Something doesn't add up. It's more like a Munchausen case than anything else. The psychological implications are startling.
I agree with you wholeheartedly about the psychological implications of this very sad, strange case. Maybe she will get some counseling while she is in prison.

Also, 18 is very young to have a child - I understand that plenty of women give birth and do a great job of parenting at such a young age, but it does seem to me that many of the abuse stories we read about involve very young parents.

Also, I want to point out that, with rare exception, every single child abuser was a victim of abuse as a child. It's a chain of pain. That doesn't mean that most victims of child abuse go on to be abusive parents - many are able to break the cycle and they are to be lauded for that. Still, I think it is important to remember how "normal" it may seem to parent with violence if that's what you knew and were shown.

My prayers for this family and I do hope this child is with gentle, loving caretakers - that's the only thing that will give him a real shot at a decent life.
Old 08-20-2009, 04:44 PM

Quote:

It'd be interesting to hear the perspective of a early childhood professional. My biggest fear would be the lack of nurturing he's received, not the abuse.\
I'm not a early childhood professional, but I've worked with many--my first thought is reactive attachment disorder. See here for more info--