02.20.2011 60 Minutes Australia Interview With Adam Baker

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, finished the interview. I don't know what to think, really. I've always felt he should have known something. he may have willfully turned a blind eye because he wanted to keep his woman. (Ick). I never really believed he had an active role in Zahra's death but I have serious concerns about whether he was involved in a cover up. Women cover for their men all the time, unfortunately, when those men harm their kids. men can do it too and something does not add up for me here.
I do believe this man grieves for his daughter and regrets getting involved with EB, but he strikes me as sort of an immature person who could be easily led to ignoring abuse, agreeing that Zahara needed "discipline" and covering up a horrible incident. I guess I need more info.

Flakes you are a kinder person than I being able to see some regret, guilt or feeling foolish from Adam. I'm not buying his story in the least. When asked about EB he smiled!! No anger, no outrage!

His face actually twitched when not answering when he last saw Zahra. I had a hard time hearing much of the interview - but I did not hear him answer the question about working long hours, altho the narrator said it for him.

IDK what this interview was supposed to do for AB but it just hit me in the gut all over again, he may not have killed his daughter but he did nothing to protect her either!

The last few months appear to have been much harder on KB than what I am seeing in Adam - maybe it is a good thing this didn't hit the network in the US. I can't imagine this interview endearing Adam to anyone, if anything it will likely turn the public more against him than ever.

transcript-----

Liz: (narrative): the body of a little Australian girl is found dumped in the backrocks of America. Her dad has some suspicious holes in his memory. Her step mother has been locked up, but so far hasn’t been charged with murder. So what happened to 10 year old Zahra baker? It’s a crime that’s fascinated and horrified people on both sides of the pacific. Tonight for the 1st time Zahra’s dad tells his version of events. It’s no wonder police are having so much trouble solving the mystery.

The innocent smile of Zahra baker, doing most things that girls love to do, although Zahra was not your average little girl. Because in her short 10 years she had endured 2 bouts of cancer. Battles that left her with a hearing impairment and a prosthetic leg.

But this gutsy little Australian girl survived it all, until this:

“hickory police 911, what is your emergency?”
“uh, yeah, my daughter is missing”.
“I”m sorry?” your daughter is missing?”
“yes, yeah.”
Zahra baker is now at the centre of one of America’s biggest murder mysteries.

Adam: Zahra’s been my life, you know, and now she’s gone. (pause,sniff) I don’t know what to do. I feel very very empty. (sniff, stares at the floor.)

Liz: Adam baker is a lonely man. He raised Zahra on his own nearly all her life. 2 years ago he brought his daughter here, to hickory in America’s south, after meeting his new wife Lisa on the internet. He now realizes it was a relationship doomed from the start. What was it about Lisa do you think?
Adam: she was very caring—then.

Liz: what were you hoping for? What did you think your life was going to be like?
Adam: happy family, a lot of love. More children, brothers and sisters for Zahra. But (makes a face)--it didn’t turn out that way.

Liz: for Adam baker not only is Zahra gone but everyone here treats him with deep suspicion.
Adam: it’s very hard to see, people on the street, even people in their cars driving, staring, yelling..
Liz: what do they yell?

Adam: um, I need to be locked up, I’m going to go to hell, um---that I’m a murderer.
Liz: are you guilty of-- anything?

Adam: (long pause) no, um...

Liz: (narrative) : Adam baker and his wife Lisa became suspects late last year when Zahra disappeared, it was a case that would take a gruesome turn when her tiny body was found dismembered. This horrific story began last October here at Zahra baker’s family home. In the early hours of one Saturday morning authorities were called to a small grass fire at the back of the house. But then, a ransom note was found in one of the families cars. This would be the 1st in many bizarre twists in a case that would see lives unravelled , a husband pitted against his wife, and a father losing his only child.

Nine hours after finding the ransom note, Adam baker reports his daughter missing. 4 days into the search for Zahra Lisa baker makes an extrodinary admission---she had written the ransom note. And after 2 weeks in custody came another major development. Lisa led police to Zahra’s remains.

Coming here was a gut wrenching moment for everyone, because the little girl that investigators had hoped to find alive was now obviously not. Knowing she was dead was distressing enough but what was truly shocking was that little Zahra’s body had been cut into pieces.

Some buried in plastic bags, some strewn for acres across this bushland. Some of her body parts, still, haven’t been found.

Liz: when you had heard that Zahra had disappeared, can you recall your reaction?
Karen: I honestly believed I’d never see her again.
Liz: really?

Karen: I just, had this feeling, people might think it’s silly but , this little voice said to me “don’t worry Nan, I’m alright”. I didn’t want to believe it, but I think deep down I knew.
Liz: Karen baker is Zahra’s grandmother,(video of Liz,Karen and Adam looking a pics on a table) and her memories of her granddaughter are of a courageous little girl.

Karen: that was after her 2nd lot of cancer, she’d also had a lot of her lung removed. But it didn’t stop her. This one, she was so proud----this was the day that Adam was getting married, and she was just so proud.
Liz: Karen baker has come to hickory not just to support her son, she’s here searching for answers.

Karen: I don’t know if I want to know all of the ins and outs, but I still want to know what happened.
Liz: you need to know?

Karen: I need to know, what happened.
Liz: (narrative) : Lisa baker apparently told relatives that Zahra died of an illness. In these search warrants police allege she says that happened 2 weeks before Zahra was reported missing. Lisa also alleges Zahra baker’s body was dismembered at the family home, and that she And Adam , had disposed of the remains.

Liz: it is a fact that Zahra was dismembered and that is horrifying. Do you have any roots (?) for that?
Adam: it’s um(pause) not something that i like to think about. Ih, ih, it , makes me sick. That somebody could do that.

Liz: Lisa alleges You were involved in that.
Adam: yeah. That’s what she says.

Liz: Lisa alleges that you and she disposed of Zahra’s body. Is that untrue?
Adam: that’s.............the biggest lie she’s ever told. Um, for starters, there’ no way i would do that to my child. For her to sit there and say that i dismembered my child? There’s no way on earth that i could do that.

Liz: do you believe that Lisa had anything to do with the disappearance of Zahra?
Adam: I feel that she uh, (pause) had something to do with this.
Liz: and what do you think that is?

Adam: I’m not, I’m not sure, um, so many things that try to pop into my head that may have happened, um, that I don’t want to think about , thinking about it is just too hard and um, heart breaking. (fake cry)
Liz: is it not possible that Zahra died of an illness?
Adam: no

Liz: you don’t believe that?
Adam: no, I don’t believe that for a second.

Liz: is it not possible that Zahra died 2 weeks before she was reported missing?

Liz: you saw her, not long before she disappeared?
Adam: yeah

Liz: (narrative) : but it’s this question------when Did he last see his daughter?-that raises more questions. At the time of Zahra’s disappearance, Adam claims that he was working long hours, and though he hadn’t seen his daughter, his wife Lisa says that she was ‘in her room’.
At the time of Zahra’s disappearance, you seemed uncertain about when you last saw her.
Adam: yeah.

Liz: are you able to clear that up?

Adam: um (very long pause) it’s hard to.. talk about stuff with the case at the moment. Because it still is an ongoing investigation. Um, I really don’t want to do anything that may-- impede any justice for Zahra.

Liz: I guess it’s the one thing that people have trouble with.
Adam: I know.
Liz: and you understand that.
Adam: I understand that.

Liz: (narrative) : Adam now knows that Lisa is not the woman he thought he’d married. Since being arrested she’s been charged with bigamy. In fact she’s had 7 marriages, at one stage she had 3 husbands at the same time, and was already married when she wed Adam baker. Their marriage was never legal.
Liz: I suppose you’re starting to wonder who this person is?

Adam: oh yeah. I don’t even know this person.
Liz: did you ever see Lisa mistreating Zahra?

Liz: neighbours and relatives claim that they saw abuse, and that Zahra had a black eye. Did you ever see that?
Adam: yes, I saw the black eye.

Liz: and what did you ask about that?
Adam: I asked both Lisa and Zahra how that happened , Lisa started out saying Zahra slipped in the bathroom, she hit her head on the cabinet, and Zahra backed that up.

Liz: why do think she said that?
Adam: right now, what I think is, she was told to.she was scared.

Liz: (narrative) : Hickory had been Zahra’s home for only a short time, but her death shattered the community. They gathered to mourn her death and celebrate what would have been her 11th birthday.
Mayor: Zahra touched us. Her story, her resilience, her” I will not quit” attitude that we could see, the wistful look on her face, it touched us.

Liz: the mayor says the community felt that it had failed Zahra
Mayor: people came to me with tears in their eyes at times. Including, from all walks of life , from all socio-economic stations in life, with tears,crying, saying ‘how did that happen to that little girl?”

Liz: (narrative) : it’s been 4 long months since police began their investigations into this crime. And it now appears that much of the focus has been on Lisa Baker, Zahra’s step mother. She admitted to writing the ransom note, she led police to where some of Zahra’s dismembered remains were dumped, and according to police documents she failed a polygraph test on crucial questions relating to Zahra’s death.
But Adam Baker is far from exonerated. We are still to see whether the DA believes HE, has a case to answer.

Liz: is there anything you haven’t said, that you’re frightened to say?
Adam: oh, no.

Liz: you have no doubts, that you will have no case to answer?
Adam: I’m, uh, I’ve done nothing. You know I had no part in my daughter’s death or dismemberment.

Karen: you can’t watch any child go through all that Zahra did, and think that he could do that. You just can’t, he wouldn’t do it. He just wants to know same as we want to know , what happened? Who did it?
Liz: do you think you know?

Karen: oh yeah. She’s sitting in jail. Oh yeah. That’s my feeling, that’s my opinion.
Liz: what has been, the worst decision you made?

Adam: now—looking back? Bringing Lisa into our lives.
Liz: you believe that was the downfall?

Adam: yeah.
Liz: you believe Zahra would be alive today?
Adam: oh yeah, definitely.

Liz: (narrative) : there will be no peace in this close knit town until someone is held accountable for Zahra’s death. The DA is now examining the evidence collected so far, deciding if charges can be laid.
And when that happens, Adam seems confident about how he’ll be spending his time.

Liz: When this is all over, what are your plans?
Adam: My plans are to take Zahra back to Australia. Back home (pause), you know, move back there--------try to put some pieces of my life back together.

Flakes you are a kinder person than I being able to see some regret, guilt or feeling foolish from Adam. I'm not buying his story in the least. When asked about EB he smiled!! No anger, no outrage!

His face actually twitched when not answering when he last saw Zahra. I had a hard time hearing much of the interview - but I did not hear him answer the question about working long hours, altho the narrator said it for him.

IDK what this interview was supposed to do for AB but it just hit me in the gut all over again, he may not have killed his daughter but he did nothing to protect her either!

The last few months appear to have been much harder on KB than what I am seeing in Adam - maybe it is a good thing this didn't hit the network in the US. I can't imagine this interview endearing Adam to anyone, if anything it will likely turn the public more against him than ever.

totally agree

Also, thank you to lauriej for putting up the transcript.

I think there are a few blanks and "???" for confused translations from the Aussie accents. If anyone wants me to review it tomorrow please let me know and I'll copy and edit lauriej's post. I'm not sure that it will make that much of a difference to the overall gist of the interview to be honest.

Is there a process where the lawyer has to view and approve questions or would anyone think Liz Hayze turned up out of the blue to spring questions on him...

I'd like to know the answer to that too! My gut feeling is there would have been some guidelines.

And then of course there's the editing - did the lawyers or AB have any say in the editing, or was it all done by the program? And more – was he paid for this, and if so, how much? There are laws here about profiting from a crime of which you are found guilty ... so if that law applies in the US, and if he is found guilty of anything, then he won't be able to keep it.

Does anyone here know the answers to these questions?

I'd like to know the answer to that too! My gut feeling is there would have been some guidelines.

And then of course there's the editing - did the lawyers or AB have any say in the editing, or was it all done by the program? And more – was he paid for this, and if so, how much? There are laws here about profiting from a crime of which you are found guilty ... so if that law applies in the US, and if he is found guilty of anything, then he won't be able to keep it.

Does anyone here know the answers to these questions?

IMHO she was sure awfully soft on AB, or the questions were all pre-planned. YET, if they were pre-planned, why all the pauses, looking at the floor, um's and ah's, facial twitches, etc.

While I still think at EB is the ultimate perp, AB had to be complicant in the murder as well. Why wouldn't he answer the question when was the last time he saw Zahra? Red Flag - HUGE!

Where is he living now? Has that been reported?

MOO

Mel

IMHO she was sure awfully soft on AB, or the questions were all pre-planned...
Oh Mel, I agree with you 100% on that one! Marshmallow soft. That was a bit of a red flag for me, and I cant work it out. Makes me think there may have been strict guidelines placed on the interview (which current affairs programs would be used to when dealing with "celebrities" – though AB is NOT that!) ... but if so, I'm not sure by whom or for what reasons.

Is there any US law (or NC law) that prevents discussion of specific details that are deemed to be pertinent in a case by LE?

When Liz was questioning about abuse and the black eye, she missed the oppotunity for the HARD questions. Why didn't she follow-up with, a question about DDS coming to their home, a question regarding family and friends informing Adam, that Zahra was being abused?

I keep going back in my mind...why didn't Zahra have the trust in her own father to confide in him that she was being abused.....hmmmmm.

IMHO she was sure awfully soft on AB, or the questions were all pre-planned. YET, if they were pre-planned, why all the pauses, looking at the floor, um's and ah's, facial twitches, etc.

While I still think at EB is the ultimate perp, AB had to be complicant in the murder as well. Why wouldn't he answer the question when was the last time he saw Zahra? Red Flag - HUGE!

Where is he living now? Has that been reported?

MOO

Mel

BBM

Don't know about you and the rest, but when researching this vile murder my fingers keep clicking on one inference to another, to another, to another. I happened upon an open wall on a Hudson, NC person's FB page and this person (who did NOT know Adam) reported in disbelief that Adam and his mother had moved into his apartment complex in Hudson. First they moved in with someone who lived there and then, once the furniture was out of the house, this FB person reported they moved into a one-bedroom apt in the same complex.

I do not know this person and I will not reveal this person because it was obvious he did not know Adam and was shocked and uncomfortable that Adam and Karen were in the complex.

A word to the wise.... make sure your FB wall is closed.

I think she was soft on him because we aren't used to the possibility of the death penalty in Australia and a journalist trying to pin things on him when his life is at stake and there isn't yet a lot of publicly available evidence against him would look a bit blood thirsty to many Australians. Also, the lessons learned from the Azaria Chamberlain case tend to be in people's minds.

When Liz was questioning about abuse and the black eye, she missed the oppotunity for the HARD questions. Why didn't she follow-up with, a question about DDS coming to their home, a question regarding family and friends informing Adam, that Zahra was being abused?

I keep going back in my mind...why didn't Zahra have the trust in her own father to confide in him that she was being abused.....hmmmmm.

As to your question, BBM, I do not think things are that simple when it comes to abuse. From my own experience as a child suffering in silence with abuse for a number of years, I did not tell my mother. My reasoning for not doing so was not that I did not trust her enough. A part of my reasoning was that I knew my mom loved him, I knew my siblings loved him, he77, I loved him. I knew it would rip the family apart and I could not bring myself to be the person responsible for that.

Now logically, a grown up would know, it would not have been my fault if that happened, it would have been my abusers fault, but children do not think that way. Children have a unique way of finding a way to make everything their own fault. I am being abused, I have brought it on myself. My family is torn apart - my fault. Parents are divorcing - my fault. We cannot afford the electric bill - my fault (I eat too much), etc.

Add to the equation fear. Zahra seems to have been a pretty bright little girl. But she was a little girl, in a strange country, at the mercy of EB. We do not know what she heard during those fights between AB and EB? Were there threats about immigration status?

We do not know what threats were made to a little girl who may not have know any better. Was she told that if she told her father would somehow be in big trouble and go to jail because they were foreigners? Was she told that her and her dad would have nowhere to go if she told?

Of course threats of those kind are unbelievable to us, but to a child, unfamiliar with matters of law and immigration, I do not know.

Was she told she would be disappeared if she tried to tell? How do we even know that wasn't the reason for her murder? Was she going to try and tell her dad? Did things go too far one afternoon while dad was at work and some unexplainable injury ocurred? Did EB believe that Zahra was going to try to tell her dad?

Now lets add the classic abuse dynamic that oftentimes an abused child will court the favor of their abuser. Their abuser holds so much power over their life. It becomes very important to please them, even by covering for them.

Covering for their abuser is not uncommon at all with abused children. Zahra doing so does not necessarily indicate that she did not trust her dad. It simply means she was a frightened child who did not know what to do or had bought into the lie that "if I am better, if I am perfect, she will finally love me and treat me well".

ETA Oops, just realized these last few pages of posts have gone slightly OT. To return to topic, I will be interested to see what the body language experts have to say about the interview. I myself saw no major behavioral red flags or "tells" as it were. Of course I am simply a layman, so the experts may see way more than my simple citizens eye.

I'm thinking AB and KB put a boatload of conditions on this interview.

"I'm sorry, I can't discuss how I failed to notice Zahra's bed missing, her carpet ripped up and bare floors exposed, the bathroom, kitchen and bedroom being repainted. Don't want to jeopardize the investigation, don't ya know. What? Last time I saw my daughter? Oh no...no no no...can't get into all that. Investigation. Follow up questions? Like what? Oh, how I KNOW she couldn't have died of natural causes, despite the fact I reported she was sick? Ummm...no. That's sensitive. My company work vehicle containing blood evidence? Being hit on by cadaver dogs? Well, you see...all part of the ongoing investigation, I'm afraid. Basically, we're just going to be able to show you our personal pics of Zahra and assure you that I had absolutely nothing to do with my daughter's death or dismemberment. So...good to go? Great. Let's do this thing."

All JMO followed by a massive eyeroll.

I think she was soft on him because we aren't used to the possibility of the death penalty in Australia and a journalist trying to pin things on him when his life is at stake and there isn't yet a lot of publicly available evidence against him would look a bit blood thirsty to many Australians. Also, the lessons learned from the Azaria Chamberlain case tend to be in people's minds.

If as Adam says he is not guilty of anything, he has nothing to fear from the death penalty or any other possible sentence. The State can't just ''pin'' things on him if there is no evidence - even if he confessed to everything, without evidence to support his guilt, he would walk. This was truly his chance to take a stand for himself and his "Aw shucks - I can't answer that question." just didn't do it for me.

After the fact, I remember all the bad check charges, running "EB's friends" off the road, leaving Zahra alone while he's off 'doing his thing' with EB and I don't feel anything he said is reliable.

My personal opinion is that ABs lawyer and possibly LE both gave an approved list of questions to 60 minutes and also an approved list of what AB was allowed to answer. I right along with everyone else was hoping for a bomb shell interview. I myself didnt find it any different than the interview he gave here in the US.
It didnt change my way of thinking on ABs guilt or lack there of. It did make me think that my opinion of the timeline of when Zahra was killed is right on. Saying that ill stop so as not to take this off topic.

This thread is done - we seem to be wandering into supposition, OT, stuff already dealt with in other threads and snark, so this thread clearly has no point any more. I will lock it for the transcripts and videos, with gratitude to those who shared these materials.

Also, a side note: If you can't refrain from attacking one another, don't post.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chec0