Aliyah Jaico, 8 years old, drowns after getting pulled into a malfunctioning pipe in hotel pool - March 2024

IceIce9

Verified EMT
Reaction score
Aliyah was reported missing on Saturday at about 6 p.m. after she was last seen at the lazy river-style swimming pool at DoubleTree by Hilton.

Her family searched the area, including the pool, but she was nowhere to be found, according to Tim Miller, founder of Texas EquuSearch.

Texas EquuSearch added that investigators reviewed security video and saw Aliyah enter the water, but never came up.

Miller said they attached cameras from the Texas Department of Criminal Justice to the end of long poles and drained the pool so they could check the pipes.

Investigators say the 8-year-old was pulled 20 feet into a pipe that was about 16 inches in diameter and located her.

Oh, what a horrible death which that little girl endured.
Her poor parents -- their little Aliya was there, and then in a flash, she was gone.
Heads are gonna roll, IMO. And lawsuits, I'm thinking.
It's taking my breath away.

Oh, what a horrible death which that little girl endured.
Her poor parents -- their little Aliya was there, and then in a flash, she was gone.
Heads are gonna roll, IMO. And lawsuits, I'm thinking.
It's taking my breath away.

but an 8 year old wasn't supervised swimming?
if she had been, she likely could've been saved
so not sure what heads are gonna roll ...

Wasn't there anything covering this pipe to block something going in to it? How did this one child just happen to get pulled in? Something must have been new and/or different about the pipe this day.

The article from the first post says it was an uncovered 32-inch pipe from a new system, under the water, and it was supposed to be putting out water but it was sucking in water instead.
This is just diabolical... the checks and balances of work being done by a contractor, areas being off limits while tests are run, everything inspected and then reinspected.

An open 32 inch pipe ... no "grate cover" and then water flowing the wrong way..

Department of Labor will no doubt find some really bad things went on here.

but an 8 year old wasn't supervised swimming?
if she had been, she likely could've been saved
so not sure what heads are gonna roll ...

It's clear her (Edit: Mother) was there at the pool supervising. She went into the pool, and she disappeared because she was pulled into an uncovered pipe. Parents would have had no way to know about the risk, see it from above, or know where she went.
This could have happened to any parent, you or I. There were major safety violations in this pool.

ETA: Also the article says she was pulled 20 feet into the pipe (!)
"It took the Houston Fire Department and the rest of the team about 13 hours to break through and recover her body."

So she absolutely could not have been rescued before drowning.

Last edited:
It's clear her (Edit: Mother) was there at the pool supervising. She went into the pool, and she disappeared because she was pulled into an uncovered pipe. Parents would have had no way to know about the risk, see it from above, or know where she went.
This could have happened to any parent, you or I. There were major safety violations in this pool.

ETA: Also the article says she was pulled 20 feet into the pipe (!)
"It took the Houston Fire Department and the rest of the team about 13 hours to break through and recover her body."

So she absolutely could not have been rescued before drowning.

Being pulled 20 feet into a pipe there would have been no way to save her, even if multiple people would have had eyes on her all the time.

Just an impossibly tragic situation.

Her mom, Daniela Jaico, immediately reported her missing. When the distraught mom asked to see hotel surveillance video,
the hotel refused, Nava claimed.

Red emphasis mine.

I would have issues with this !
What if someone grabbed her instead ?
Let the family see the video to know if she was taken, or how she disappeared in the pool.
Omo.

Multiple violations were found by the Houston Fire Department when a team inspected the swimming pool Monday, reported the local ABC station.

They deserve to win their lawsuit.
Hope her death was instant !

Rest in gentle peace, Aliyah !

Last edited:
The family is seeking justice for the Aliyah because "it could have been avoidable," according to Nava.

"Evidence points to this hotel ran an establishment with many violations. The pool was not in working order," said Nava.

The lawsuit was filed against Double Tree by Hilton and local owners who manage the property at 12801 Northwest Freeway
* lawsuit file:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back