An Inordinate Number of Missing?

Arielyn

Reaction score
Hi. Sure hope I’m posting this in the correct place, as I know the rules here are fairly strict. If I haven’t, please delete the post and not me!

So I was looking for anything recent regarding Serenity Dennard, and I came across a piece on a news site that just made my jaw drop and my heart break. Would someone else take a peek at this article/list and tell me if it seems like an outrageous number of missing, especially teens? I don’t understand how this is possible without media outrage. What am I missing?

Pennington County Missing

Welcome! I’ll check with a mod to make sure you’ve posted in the right place. :)

This is such an important topic. For just one city and county in South Dakota it definitely seems to be an inordinate number of missing young people, just in 2023, and quite a few in December. What struck me was that the vast majority were in the category of American Indian/Alaskan Native. This is a huge issue in the U.S. and Canada, as the links I’ve posted make clear. In 2016, there were almost 6000 missing and murdered Indigenous women and girls, but only a little over 100 logged in the DOJ database, according to the second link.

I don’t want to hijack your thread with this information, because all missing people are important. But I wanted to take this opportunity to give the subject of missing and murdered Indigenous women and girls (and boys) some extra attention.

Wow. The statistics are outrageous! Where is the public discourse on this? Where is the media coverage? Why the seeming “silence”?

Outrageous stats indeed! I just did a google search of a random sampling of the Indian girls on the list you posted and none of them had any mainstream media (MSM) coverage, other than being on lists. There was one Indian girl listed as White and one older White woman who didn’t have any coverage. All three White girls on the list had MSM articles about them. I think this paragraph from one of the links I posted says it best:

So why haven’t these women been found yet? It has to do with a number of factors, but the most obvious may be the sheer lack of media coverage paid to women of color, in comparison to white women and men. In Wyoming, where Petito’s body was found, only 18 percent of indigenous female homicide victims get coverage, compared with 51 percent for white female and male victims. This is also known as “missing white woman syndrome,” a term coined by the late PBS news anchor Gwen Ifill, to refer to the obsession with missing or endangered white women.
BBM
——————-
This Wikipedia article contains an interesting chart comparing media coverage not received by missing people of color (POC) with well-known white women and children missing during the same time period. It also discusses reasons for “missing white woman syndrome,”

American news anchor Gwen Ifill is widely considered the originator of the phrase.[6]Charlton McIlwain defined the syndrome as "white women occupying a privileged role as violent crime victims in news media reporting", and posited that missing white woman syndrome functions as a type of racial hierarchy in the cultural imagery of the U.S.[9]Eduardo Bonilla-Silva categorized the racial component of missing white woman syndrome as a "form of racial grammar, through which white supremacy is normalized by implicit, or even invisible standards".[1]
BBM
—————————

Although we do see more attention paid on Websleuths to missing and murdered white women and children, at least there are threads for people of color. And some do attract MSM attention for various reasons. But since we are limited to using mainstream media sources, we run into the brick wall of poor media coverage for women and children who do not fit the media’s preferred profile. So the threads either run out of steam or occasionally become contentious and end up having to be shut down. So we tread lightly when addressing the topic of race. I decided to go out on a limb here because the original list you posted was such a good illustration of this issue.

JMO

Hi. Sure hope I’m posting this in the correct place, as I know the rules here are fairly strict. If I haven’t, please delete the post and not me!

So I was looking for anything recent regarding Serenity Dennard, and I came across a piece on a news site that just made my jaw drop and my heart break. Would someone else take a peek at this article/list and tell me if it seems like an outrageous number of missing, especially teens? I don’t understand how this is possible without media outrage. What am I missing?

Pennington County Missing
That looks about right to me. Statistically, almost all of them will be runaways. With the vast majority ultimately returning home.

Massguy, I’d like to see the data to support what you’re saying. If most of these are runaways, where can I find that info? Doesn’t it strike you as odd, in that case, that this many kids in a relatively small area have just decided to skip town? If these are runaways, WHY are they running? It’s certainly not typical data for that age group elsewhere. So the issue here is one of two, or perhaps a combination of the two. First, scores of kids are missing. Second, kids are running away in ridiculous numbers. Either, or both, deserves a closer look.

Massguy, I’d like to see the data to support what you’re saying. If most of these are runaways, where can I find that info? Doesn’t it strike you as odd, in that case, that this many kids in a relatively small area have just decided to skip town? If these are runaways, WHY are they running? It’s certainly not typical data for that age group elsewhere. So the issue here is one of two, or perhaps a combination of the two. First, scores of kids are missing. Second, kids are running away in ridiculous numbers. Either, or both, deserves a closer look.
There is a major economic component when it comes to runaways, so I don’t think it’s unusual to see those types of numbers when it comes to this sort of thing here.

I just googled 4 of the names. Three of them had previously gone missing and had been found safe before going missing again (pretty standard pattern when it comes to runaways).

Another person on that list is a confirmed runaway, who is wasn’t happy with her court ordered living arrangement.

One issue, particularly here in Wyoming, has to do with agencies involved in investigating missing indigenous women cases. The majority live on reservations where county or local law enforcement have no authority. Investigations are handled by the Bureau of Indian Affairs... who unfortunately lack the resources and manpower to launch major investigations that typically need to cover very large and remote areas of land.

Doesn’t it strike you as odd, in that case, that this many kids in a relatively small area have just decided to skip town?
You need to consider the type of towns they are skipping from.

Reservation towns and quite often the towns immediately outside the reservation usually have the range of problems that poverty brings and dont really offer alot of opportunity. So, in contrast to wealthy suburbs, skipping town is common.

In @MassGuy 's finding, the skippers are Native American. But..... substitute "reservation town" for:

- Appalachian towns in east Tennessee or Kentucky or "Ozark towns in Arkansas / Missouri
- Delta towns in say, Arkansas, Mississippi or Louisiana

And you will find that those skipping out are nearly all white and black respectively. These whites and blacks would have the same local poverty driven problems and would be skipping for the same reasons as the Native Americans do.

My guess is that the local police in neither Appalachia nor "The Delta" would have good information on when they left and where they left to.

Last edited:
A database is:

<modsnip>

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members