Approaching property owners?

OggLurker

Reaction score
Good morning.

I have been considering approaching the owner of a business in an attempt to gain access to their basement. The building this business is in once served at the storefront and home for the family of a girl who went missing. Within a year of her disappearance the detectives working the case noticed that her father had poured fresh concrete in the basement. While her father was their main suspect at the time they had no evidence to go on so they could not excavate the floor.

With ground penetrating radar being "affordable" nowadays I would like to have a sweep done of this area.

Should I reach out to the owner or just let it go?

Good morning.

I have been considering approaching the owner of a business in an attempt to gain access to their basement. The building this business is in once served at the storefront and home for the family of a girl who went missing. Within a year of her disappearance the detectives working the case noticed that her father had poured fresh concrete in the basement. While her father was their main suspect at the time they had no evidence to go on so they could not excavate the floor.

With ground penetrating radar being "affordable" nowadays I would like to have a sweep done of this area.

Have you already lined up the person who will be doing the ground-penetrating radar, and have a plan in writing as to how it will be handled? Will you pay for it and do you have a resume and history of the success of the person that is doing the ground-penetrating radar?

If I was a business owner, I would not want publicity that this was happening, therefore I would also want a non-disclosure agreement even if I thought to consider it. It could be very detrimental to the business. And if it is successful, who pays for the damages for the excavation if they find something or it is questionable?

I'm just trying to play Devil's Advocate on looking at it from a business owners point of view.

Another thing to consider -- is the current owner in any way related to the previous family? Or even just friends with them? That might affect their willingness and might change your approach strategy.

Have you already lined up the person who will be doing the ground-penetrating radar, and have a plan in writing as to how it will be handled? Will you pay for it and do you have a resume and history of the success of the person that is doing the ground-penetrating radar?

If I was a business owner, I would not want publicity that this was happening, therefore I would also want a non-disclosure agreement even if I thought to consider it. It could be very detrimental to the business. And if it is successful, who pays for the damages for the excavation if they find something or it is questionable?

I'm just trying to play Devil's Advocate on looking at it from a business owners point of view.

I do have a company lined up and am aware of their past successes identifying anomalies. I am willing to pay for the initial scan out of pocket. Should the results come back that there is a soil disturbance in the suspected area I would then turn the information over to the local authorities and allow them to follow up. As for an NDA, I have no problem having one drafted. I'm not looking for any recognition or notoriety, just want this girl found and possible have her father's name cleared once and for all.

I do have a company lined up and am aware of their past successes identifying anomalies. I am willing to pay for the initial scan out of pocket. Should the results come back that there is a soil disturbance in the suspected area I would then turn the information over to the local authorities and allow them to follow up. As for an NDA, I have no problem having one drafted. I'm not looking for any recognition or notoriety, just want this girl found and possible have her father's name cleared once and for all.

I would discuss with with LE before doing anything. I've worked for small businesses all my life and I can't imagine any of my bosses allowing this unless it was conducted or ordered by LE.

I would discuss with with LE before doing anything. I've worked for small businesses all my life and I can't imagine any of my bosses allowing this unless it was conducted or ordered by LE.

Sad to say but it seems by my experience that local LE doesn't care to put much focus on these cold cases. I will continue to keep that in mind though.

You sound like a wonderful person who is trying to right a wrong and search for the truth! Kudos to you. I followed a case here that someone that was close to a victim actually buried his body under concrete in his backyard. They coordinated with a newly-formed cold case unit, and got search dogs out, to help the law enforcement to get a search warrant.

Man charged with concealing death of Chase Massner enters not guilty plea

I do hope your efforts turn out positive as to results and conclusion.

I find it best that cases that are solved, have people that keep it in the media. Is that being done with this case? Is it in a major metropolitan area?

By the way, he was found guilty. And this is the thread. And it all happened because of the publicity, the forums that pushed for information, and the newly-formed Cold Case unit. It's a very interesting case that may help you with background. The dogs were invaluable that they brought is the people that did the search with the dogs had credentials, and they filmed it and turn it over to law enforcement. That is what broke the case in my opinion.

GUILTY - GA - Chase Massner, 26, Kennesaw, 27 March 2014

ETA I have heard and seen that people working with law enforcement have issues as to information being brought in because they are seen as an extension of law enforcement doing things that are not allowed. So be careful with that. I don't understand it all but check into it first.

The search dogs in many cases we have seen are free of charge. You could research into that?

Last edited:
Good morning.

Hey Ogg! Did you ever have any luck with this?

Assuming that the business owner has nothing to hide I would assume that they would not even entertain the prospect unless there was a valid court order. I would check with your lawyer as to the steps required.

To be honest if I owned a business and someone off the street wanted to do this I would tell them to get a court order.

I would also be suspicious of their motives and their mental health and would not engage them personally and if a court order was produced it would be lawyer to lawyer and I would say nothing to them and all communication would go through my lawyer.

With all due respect there are a lot of crazy and crooked people out there including those who use the 'grandparent scam'.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back