Australia- Bus carrying wedding guests in Australian wine region rolls over, killing 10 and injuring 25, 12 June '23, *Bus driver arrested*

O/t Sad to have another thread so soon after this one, for a similar tragedy that occurred today in Canada.
So tragic

Our first responders do an amazing job. SES, Ambos, Paramedics, Firies, Police as do those treating the injured in hospital.

Truly wonderful people, I am so glad that the access to counseling has changed and that people are now encouraged to get support when needed.

So so important.

The help is there’: what it’s like to survive a bus crash​

For people who have witnessed deadly crashes, Hunter Valley has brought back memories – and prompted reflection on how tragedy affected their lives

Too quick, inconsistent with conditions’: Mystery surrounds moment wedding bus flipped, killing 10​

This report shows a video (recreated) of how the bus crashed. I thought that this particular detail was unknown so far?

The fatal path

It reports in the video with reenactment:

Reporter:
13km into the journey, the bus approached a large roundabout above the Hunter Valley Expressway.

The driver was heard saying "If you think this was fast, watch this"as he approached the on-ramp.
Seconds later the bus rolled and crashed into a barrier.

The video shows the bus almost fishtailed at the rear and appears that the back side of the bus hits (or back side wheels) hit the barrier or the side of the road as it then continues and slightly corrects itself for several meters.

The video then shows the bus what it appears might be hitting a concrete road divider and it starts to rock, lose control, and then hits the guard rail as it crashes. (I am unable to tell if that is actually what video is showing, there is a large white area it rolls over at the top where it appears to become unstable.

The reenactment video is on the below link.

I had not previously heard that the driver had yelled out "If you think this is fast watch this" whilst on the roundabout. Had this been mentioned with further detail as last I heard it had just advised he had yelled it out during the trip.

1687043388160.png

That is just insane if true! I have always liked taking a bus to and from events when possible because I don't have to drive and it really is safer. I've ridden on tour buses in crazy mountain roads, blizzard conditions, etc and always was glad i was on a bus and not driving myself. This driver however.......
We had a school bus crash several years ago where the driver said something similar to this. Thank goodness no one was killed. The driver was charged and obviously lost her job.

This was a horrible tragedy and not a freak accident. He had a bad reputation before he killed these young people, no excuse for driving like a maniac, unless you are one!
We catch these buses after celebration events to prevent drink driving catastrophes, the driver is scum, he shouldn't be driving at all and deserves a long sentence in prison!

Tiff Genders

@tiffgenders

Brett Button, the driver behind the wheel in the Greta bus crash which killed 10 wedding guests, has been excused from appearing at court after his lawyer raised “issues with his license”. The parents of victim Rebecca Mullen were in the public gallery for the case.
@9NewsSyd

The driver of a bus that crashed after a wedding in the NSW Hunter Valley in June, killing 10 people, has been formally charged with an additional 52 alleged offences, as more expert evidence is being sought.

Apparently his lawyer is arguing that he's having trouble getting to court with his license suspended. What you can hear is the tiniest violin in the world playing. I don't think trying to get permission to drive is really the angle they want to be going for, considering the charges. Catch public transport, like the rest of us who don't drive, mate.

MOO

Wow .........

Hunter Valley bus crash driver Brett Button reaches plea deal, manslaughter charges to be dropped​

Hunter Valley bus crash driver Brett Button has reached a plea deal with prosecutors that will see all manslaughter charges against him dropped, it has been reported.

Court today 09:30

Greta bus crash driver Brett Button has manslaughter charges dropped, taken into custody​

Paraphrased:

Button fronted Newcastle Local Court on Wednesday, he entered guilty pleas to 10 counts of dangerous driving occasioning death, nine counts of dangerous driving occasioning grievous bodily harm and 16 counts of drive furiously in a motor vehicle to cause bodily harm which will be related charges.

10 charges of negligent driving occasioning death and nine counts of negligent driving occasioning grievous bodily harm will be backup charges where a plea was not sought.

His guilty plea was in exchange for 10 counts of manslaughter being dropped against him.

Twenty five charges of cause bodily harm by misconduct, in charge of motor vehicle have also been withdrawn.

A detention application was unopposed & Button was taken into custody , next court date 30th May where a sentence date will be set.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarti
Back