Australia Australia - Michael (Micky) Ian Croaker, 18, Prince Henry Hospital, Little Bay, 20 Oct 1973

dotr

Reaction score
Mick disappeared, aged 18, in 1973 – his family want to stop the 'blanket of grief' happening to others
Aug 2020
12515320-16x9-xlarge.jpg

Michael Croaker, who went missing in 1973, and his sister Trisha.(Supplied: Trisha Croaker)
''Saturday, October 20, 1973, was a significant day for many reasons.
''It was the day the Sydney Opera House was officially opened by Queen Elizabeth II, with more than half a million people lining the harbour foreshore to celebrate, flanked by thousands of police officers wrangling the jubilant crowds.

It was also the last day Michael Ian Croaker, known to his family as Mick or Micky and then aged 18, was ever seen.''

If still alive today, Mick Croaker would be 65 years old.

He vanished from Prince Henry Hospital, Little Bay nearly 47 years ago and there are still no clues about what happened to him.''

Mick Croaker had already experienced a difficult life by the time he got to Little Bay.

Trisha says he was a quiet, gentle, kind and happy boy, but learning difficulties and a severe stutter had seen him bullied and teased through a number of boarding schools.

12515112-3x2-xlarge.jpg

Michael Croker is among cases featured in an nationwide missing persons appeal.(Supplied: Trisha Croaker)
''His parents were concerned he might need advanced help and sent him to Prince Henry Hospital to be assessed.

He disappeared after just two days at the hospital in "mysterious circumstances", says Trisha.

His case file was missing, the doctor in charge of his case was on leave the day Mick disappeared and later refused to be interviewed.

Mick took none of his possessions, and apparently walked freely out of a ward full of people having psychiatric assessments, Trisha says.

From then on, her parents, did "everything imaginable" to find their son, she says.''

Sounds like he just didn't want to be there and walked out. As an adult, he couldn't be stopped. Here is a pic of him I found on the internet It seems to be a closeup
CROAKER-Michael-NSW_393x500.jpg

Here is a supposed pic of the hospital
40575385983_347dbddb7f_b.jpg

But here is another pic of a hospital that is supposed to be the hospital
6207027173_637e4b74d2_b.jpg

It seems Prince Henry Hospital has been closed for quite some time. It could be either, and I would prefer neither myself.

How close is Little Bay to the Gap?
I know this person isn't even a member anymore, but not that close. Not in walking distance.
Sounds like he just didn't want to be there and walked out. As an adult, he couldn't be stopped. Here is a pic of him I found on the internet It seems to be a closeup
CROAKER-Michael-NSW_393x500.jpg

Here is a supposed pic of the hospital
40575385983_347dbddb7f_b.jpg

But here is another pic of a hospital that is supposed to be the hospital
6207027173_637e4b74d2_b.jpg

It seems Prince Henry Hospital has been closed for quite some time. It could be either, and I would prefer neither myself.
The first building pictured is what is now a museum. The site as a whole was slowly shut down piecemeal between the 1980s and the early 00s as the health dept slowly relocated services to a nearby larger hospital, leaving buildings like that one pictured in the second photo dilapidated until they were eventually knocked down or adapted into the housing precinct that it is today. It was still a working hospital at the time Michael disappeared.

As for Michael's story, it's a sad illustration of the lack of services for and misunderstanding of mental health in past decades. Not that we're perfect now, but I can't see anyone now sending off their 18 year old (who has been traumatised by bullying and abuse by peers for what would now be considered issues that are easy to deal with by childhood therapy and early intervention) off for inpatient assessment alongside people who probably have hardcore psychiatric illnesses and disabilities. It would have been incredibly depressing and shocking IMO. Dodgy AF that the doctor was kinda shady about the whole thing too.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back