AZ AZ- Ann Caldwell, 18, Tucson, Pima County, March 13, 1956

I wonder about her SSN. I'm not from the US so I don't know how they work now or then, but let's say she was never employed, later when everyone needed to have one, would she need it for a driver's license? Or marriage? Could you get away with never getting a SSN?

I noticed this in the very first post of this thread:

I tried looking for the episode (awful show btw), but of course the ones available weren't even in '57, most were destroyed since apparently that was normal back then, and the few still available might be in some archives.
It would have been interesting to see what exactly her mother had to say.
I also did some digging to find the Queen For A Day episode. Nothing from 1957 on my end either. Possibly lost media? To get back on topic, I'm also not from the US so I have no idea about the SSN or card either...

If Ann was found alive, only one question remains. Why isn't she listed on any of her families obituaries? It's possible she was disowned, but that means nobody knows what happened to her anyways...

If Ann was found alive, only one question remains. Why isn't she listed on any of her families obituaries? It's possible she was disowned, but that means nobody knows what happened to her anyways...
That baffles me too. One thing that might explain why she isn't mentioned is that her family was the type that liked to bury trauma. There have been several cases on The Vanished podcast where you would have a younger family member decide to dig into a family mystery only to have everyone around them clam up because "it's too painful to talk about it" or in some cases they were involved (not saying Caldwells were).

tried looking for the episode (awful show btw), but of course the ones available weren't even in '57,

Haha! Funny to think that at least 3 people in 2023 were looking for a specific episode of a forgotten TV show from 1957.

By the 1980s at the latest, she would have needed a social security number to get a driver’s license or credit card (or a job).

Why isn't she listed on any of her families obituaries?

That’s the single thing that gets me. At least 5 close family members’ obituaries (parents, brother, maternal aunt and uncle) don’t mention her even though they mention the brother. I’ve seen other missing persons cases where a parent doesn’t mention the missing person, but it seems relatively rare. FIVE seems like a deliberate act.

<modsnip: off topic>

Last edited by a moderator:
<modsnip> I have a feeling a missing person may be listed as dead or alive based on the wishes of their family. Not being on it at all could suggest two things.

1. She was disowned by her family, likely after 1960, when she was excluded from being the skeleton of Yolanda Gomez.
2. The family had no idea what to put down as on one end, she seemed to have disappeared voluntarily, but she hadn't been seen for decades...

There's definitely more reasons as to why this could have happened, but these two seemed most prevalent to me. On a side note, it's strange that there's absolutely nothing on Yolanda Gomez...

<modsnip>
I have a feeling a missing person may be listed as dead or alive based on the wishes of their family. Not being on it at all could suggest two things.

1. She was disowned by her family, likely after 1960, when she was excluded from being the skeleton of Yolanda Gomez.
2. The family had no idea what to put down as on one end, she seemed to have disappeared voluntarily, but she hadn't been seen for decades...

There's definitely more reasons as to why this could have happened, but these two seemed most prevalent to me. On a side note, it's strange that there's absolutely nothing on Yolanda Gomez...
Who writes obituaries exactly? Not the deceased, obviously. I could understand if brother's didn't have her listed since the surviving family members may not have been aware of her existence. But her parents?
You can make a case for every theory here. I really hope we find something...

Maybe Yolanda's case was resolved quickly?

<modsnip>

I have a feeling a missing person may be listed as dead or alive based on the wishes of their family. Not being on it at all could suggest two things.

There's definitely more reasons as to why this could have happened, but these two seemed most prevalent to me. On a side note, it's strange that there's absolutely nothing on Yolanda Gomez..
Do you mean Yolanda Villagomez?

If there were other female siblings, what exactly were their ages and what happened to them? Weird for a family to have 3 daughters but mention none in obituaries JMO

There was a stillborn son, born before Ann. Her only sibling was a younger brother.

I thought someone said in post #16 there were 2 siblings born in between Ann and her brother?

“Ann had a younger brother named Donald Jim, who died in 2015. No mention of his parents or sister. (His birth certificate is online via the state.). There were 2 other children born to the family in between Ann and Donald, but apparently they died before his birth - see his birth certificate.”

Makes sense if they were stillborns though

I thought someone said in post #16 there were 2 siblings born in between Ann and her brother?

Haha - I wrote #16 and had totally forgotten this! Apologies for the confusion.

I just spent some time prowling around Ancestry and can (re-)confirm that there was a son born in 1935 (died after birth), Ann in 1938, another stillborn boy in 1941, and Donald Jim, 1943-2015.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AJAY0618
Back