CA CA - Adult male who recently had brain surgery found floating in the Tuolumne River in Stanislaus County on March 9, 1996

MadMcGoo

Staff member
Reaction score
The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs) UP13299

[no photo]
Date Body Found: March 9, 1996
Location Found: Modesto, Stanislaus County, California
Sex: Male
Race / Ethnicity: White / Caucasian
Estimated Age Group: Adult - Pre 60
Estimated Age Range (Years): 40-50
Estimated Year of Death: 1996
Measured Height: 5' 7"(67 inches)
Estimated Weight: 180 lbs
Hair Color: Unknown
Facial Hair Description: Mustache, unknown color
Eye Color: Unknown
Tattoo: Dagger with snake on upper right arm.
Clothing: Blue jeans, western style shirt, black leather lace-up boots.

Circumstances of Recovery: Decedent was found floating in the Tuolumne River west of Paradise Rd in Stanislaus County. No indication of foul play. He had several EKG patches on his chest. Has a tattoo of dagger with snake on upper right arm. The decedent had recent brain surgery (within 3-4 months prior to death). There was also evidence of less recent brain surgery ( years prior to death).

Investigating Agency: Stanislaus County Sheriff Coroner Division (209) 567-4480
ME/C Case Number: 96-3-15

Bumping case up. I wonder if investigators contacted hospitals in that area that perform neurosurgery to try to identify him.
I don't know how much hospitals would be willing to help...I also wonder if the autopsy could identify a likely reason for his surgeries.

I find it strange that he still had the EKG patches on. This poor man was dealing with extreme health issues. I wonder if he had the support system that would require, but if so, was he reported missing?

Bumping case up. I wonder if investigators contacted hospitals in that area that perform neurosurgery to try to identify him.
I don't know how much hospitals would be willing to help...I also wonder if the autopsy could identify a likely reason for his surgeries.

I find it strange that he still had the EKG patches on. This poor man was dealing with extreme health issues. I wonder if he had the support system that would require, but if so, was he reported missing?
Sometimes the EKG patches will get left on/forgotten about after a patient gets discharged. After my last hospitalization, I realized I had an EKG patch still stuck to my chest after I got home. The others had been taken off after I no longer needed them but I guess the nurse who took them off didn't see that one. I was also in the hospital for a surgery completely unrelated to my heart; the EKGs were just for monitoring/safety purposes.

So something similar could have happened to this man, but the patches *would* indicate he was probably hospitalized shortly before he died, definitely after the more recent brain surgery.
If he needed support due to his medical issues, it could be a case of neglect by his caretaker or a natural death being concealed so his caretaker could continue collecting benefits. All speculation, obviously.

Sometimes the EKG patches will get left on/forgotten about after a patient gets discharged. After my last hospitalization, I realized I had an EKG patch still stuck to my chest after I got home. The others had been taken off after I no longer needed them but I guess the nurse who took them off didn't see that one. I was also in the hospital for a surgery completely unrelated to my heart; the EKGs were just for monitoring/safety purposes.

So something similar could have happened to this man, but the patches *would* indicate he was probably hospitalized shortly before he died, definitely after the more recent brain surgery.
If he needed support due to his medical issues, it could be a case of neglect by his caretaker or a natural death being concealed so his caretaker could continue collecting benefits. All speculation, obviously.
Also they do not always take the EKG patches off when you leave the hospital. He may have left it on his own accord or if just there for a quick checkup, they dont remove the patches. I was in hospital a year ago for a day, had been admitted by emergency services because of covid related side effects and the hospital released me with the patches still on.

A portion of his skull had been replaced with acrylic mesh.

He was thought to have drowned and been in the water about 4 weeks. He was bald and his tattoo was on his right bicep. It was a green snake and a vine/leaves with an ornate dagger through them. He probably had brain surgery within 10 days of his drowning (possibly in January).

It appears they did go to great lengths attempting to identify him.

He was cremated, but dental records should be available.

Raul Cervantes Manzo (sounds like the aren't certain about the missing date)
I think Raul looks like a good match. I agree about the missing date, and the tattoo is compelling. If his family hadn’t been in contact they may not have been aware of any brain surgeries or scars. JMO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back