Mary Mabel Hudgins
  • hudgins_mary.jpg
Hudgins, circa 1954

• Missing Since10/20/1954
  • Missing FromSanta Cruz, California
  • ClassificationEndangered Missing
  • Age23 years old
  • Height and Weight5'6 - 5'8, 140 - 150 pounds
  • Medical ConditionsMary was seven months pregnant at the time of her disappearance. According to her husband, she was in poor mental health at the time of her disappearance.
  • Distinguishing CharacteristicsBiracial (Caucasian/Native American) female. Black hair, brown eyes. Mary goes by her middle name, Mabel, or use the nickname May (sometimes spelled "Mae"). She has a mole on her chin.
Details of Disappearance
Mary was last seen in Santa Cruz, California on October 20, 1954. She lived with her family in the 5000 block of Frederick Street at the time. Her husband, George Hudgins, said they had an argument that evening and he left the house, when when he returned, she was gone and their two children were home alone. He said she took $100 with her and left a note saying, "You can go on alone."

Mary's parents lived in Canada at the time of her disappearance, and George was afraid she would take their two children and go to Canada to be with her parents. There has been no indication of her whereabouts since 1954 and her case remains unsolved.
Investigating Agency
  • Sacramento County Sheriff's Department 916-874-5115
Source Information
Mary Mabel Hudgins – The Charley Project

Missing Person Case

I'm always suspicious of the I went out and they were gone when I came home or they went out for a walk and never came home stories by husbands/wives.

Although some really suspicious disappearances actually turn out to be people just leaving, so you can't always know and it would be awful for the spouse to have to live under suspicion for the rest of their life if the other person just ran off.

I'm always suspicious of the I went out and they were gone when I came home or they went out for a walk and never came home stories by husbands/wives.

Although some really suspicious disappearances actually turn out to be people just leaving, so you can't always know and it would be awful for the spouse to have to live under suspicion for the rest of their life if the other person just ran off.

I agree. I.hope the husband was throughly vetted. I wonder if there was a check of hospitals in the surrounding area two months later to see if a child was born. I would think that they would have put an alert out to hospitals but then again this is the 50’s. Any Jane Doe bodies in the next few months/years that came up? Where. Was her family located? All in Canada? Does she have any relatives living now?

A bit more information (which should be treated with some caution but is probably correct). Multiple Ancestry trees give her maiden name as Mary Mabel Isaac and that she was born in Canada (Quebec) to Abel and Anastia Isaac. They show her marrying George Henry Hudgins on Christmas Day 1951 at Caribou, Aroostook, Maine. As noted in the link at #5 above, George divorced her quickly after her disappearance and, according to the trees he remarried just as quickly, on 18 August 1955 at Alameda, Ca. As one of the main trees with these facts is owned by a Jane Hudgins (and who has been working on it for 15+ years) I would regard it as being as reliable as is available from such trees. However, I should note that a family tree for her proposed father (Abel) at Abel Isaac (1906–1987) • FamilySearch does not show Mary Mabel as a daughter, although it does show his marriage taking place in 1930 which would support a first child in June 1931 (the date shown for Mary's birth).

More digging needed.

A bit more information (which should be treated with some caution but is probably correct). Multiple Ancestry trees give her maiden name as Mary Mabel Isaac and that she was born in Canada (Quebec) to Abel and Anastia Isaac. They show her marrying George Henry Hudgins on Christmas Day 1951 at Caribou, Aroostook, Maine. As noted in the link at #5 above, George divorced her quickly after her disappearance and, according to the trees he remarried just as quickly, on 18 August 1955 at Alameda, Ca. As one of the main trees with these facts is owned by a Jane Hudgins (and who has been working on it for 15+ years) I would regard it as being as reliable as is available from such trees. However, I should note that a family tree for her proposed father (Abel) at Abel Isaac (1906–1987) • FamilySearch does not show Mary Mabel as a daughter, although it does show his marriage taking place in 1930 which would support a first child in June 1931 (the date shown for Mary's birth).

More digging needed.

Strange she isn't mentioned as a child out of the marriage between Abel Isaac and Anastasia/Anastasie Marchand. Could Ms. Marchand have been pregnant from somebody else? Hard to believe.....stats don't add up. Mary Mabel was born. approx. 1931, this couple married in 1930. Was she somebody's else's child and the couple took her in, adopted her? Did you find a birth record for Mary Mabel @alb1on, is there a mother mentioned?

She could have been named Mary (Abel's mother was named Mary) and Mabel (His name with an M, pure speculation) but they had another daughter with the name Mary born in 1947. We see this a lot in family trees from the old days, but mostly this was done if another child with the same name died. (BTW there are also a lot of men with the given name Amabel, but as far as I can see not in this family line)

According to this link Cold Case: Mary Mabel Hudgins George Henry Hudgins was married before he met Mary Mabel. Were the two kids she allegedly left behind his, from the previous marriage or from him and Mary Mabel?

I somehow have a problem with the story that a 7 month pregnant woman (being more vulnerable and more dependent; in those days women didn't work or stopped working when getting pregnant, being dependent on their spouses) leaves a family home, including two other children behind. Let's say if she ran off.....what could have been that bad that she made that decision under the circumstances. I don't know, maybe he was a perfectly good guy....

They married in Maine, America. Was he from there, an American citizen? Why there? Why did they decided to move to the other side of the country, far away from her roots and family. This could be a reason she was not happy or as the husband stated it "in poor mental condition". Maybe she wanted that...I know there will be no answers.......

Also if she was originally from Canada she is most likely
from the first nations of Canada. I'm still not sure how this works, North America's first nations and thus Native American?

eta

Last edited:
G.H. died in 1994 apparently. Listed are 3 children, a daughter with the last name Isaac and two sons with the last name Hudgins. According to the obituary, G.H. was in the Air Force during the time he was married to Mabel. Limestone Air Force Base (renamed Loring AFB in 1954) was near Limestone and Caribou, Aroostook County, Maine, so that would be a good reason for him to be in Maine. Based on an ancestry hint for the daughter, I suspect that Mabel had already had her before marrying G.H. or had her very shortly after getting married to G.H.

Sorry, I'm going back and rereading prior posts and wanted to address a possiblity why Mabel isn't listed in the family tree.

There is a good chance that the family disowned her when she became pregnant. If her siblings never spoke of her, then their children wouldn't know of her existence. The only record I can find of her in Canada is her baptismal record, which actually lists her name as Marie Mabel.

It's also possible that the person who did the family tree does know of Mabel, but out of respect for her mother/grandmother won't add Mabel to the tree.

Lastly, it was very common for the name Marie and/or Mary to be given to all the girls in a family. Then the girls would go by their middle names.

Sorry, I'm going back and rereading prior posts and wanted to address a possiblity why Mabel isn't listed in the family tree.

There is a good chance that the family disowned her when she became pregnant. If her siblings never spoke of her, then their children wouldn't know of her existence. The only record I can find of her in Canada is her baptismal record, which actually lists her name as Marie Mabel.

It's also possible that the person who did the family tree does know of Mabel, but out of respect for her mother/grandmother won't add Mabel to the tree.

Lastly, it was very common for the name Marie and/or Mary to be given to all the girls in a family. Then the girls would go by their middle names.

Interesting info @CeiliMom thanks for adding. The above makes sense.

From the missing file:
"George was afraid she would take their two children and go to Canada to be with her parents", So basically we are talking about the two children he had with her. I wonder what happened to the girl. Did he adopted her....I hope so.

On returning to this case I found a record in Ancestry which does make me wonder if she did return to Canada. I found her baptism record from 21 June 1931 at Restigouche, Quebec. Family trees confirm she used Mabel rather than Mary (or Marie according to the baptismal record) and there is a further voter record from Restigouche of Mrs Mabel Isaac from 1972. This may just be coincidence but I have not found another Mabel Isaac.

She is survived by her former husband, Gilbert Brisk of Listuguj. her daughters, Sheila Brisk and Pauline Brisk of Listuguj and Judy (William) Brisk-White of Prince Rupert, B.C.; her sons. Joseph (Romona) Brisk, Donald Martin, Roland Brisk, Maurice Brisk, Peter Brisk, Paul Brisk, George Martin and Gerry Martin of Listuguj; her sisters, Angelique Lind Isaac, Diane Condo, Theresa (Xavier Sewell, George Metalic, Verbine Barnaby, all Of Listuguj, and Mabel Hutchinson of the U.S.A.; her brother, James Isaac. Hubert Isaac, Francis 'Poncho' (Helene) Isaac, all of Listuguj, and Ernest (Reta) Isaac of Nova Scotia; 21 grandchildren, two great-grandchildren and many nieces and nephews.

She was predeceased by one son, Terry; one brother, Hector Isaac, and one sister, Mary Isaac.
This is very odd indeed. Quoted and bolded above by me is taken from the below link to obituaries in Restigouche (where she was baptised). This is the obituary of Mary Mabel's sister, Shirley. It lists a surviving sister as "Mabel Hutchinson of the USA"...I believe Hutchinson is a mistake and should be "Hudgins". I think it's very possible the person who wrote this (one of her children? ) had no knowledge of her whereabouts or even her name.
But even more strangely, it also lists a sister called "Mary Isaac" as deceased. So which is it? Are they the same?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back