Case related Photos

I guess, but it doesnt mean that it had to be on the death certificate.

Why wasnt Jenny, Jennifer then?

I guess, but it doesnt mean that it had to be on the death certificate.

Why wasnt Jenny, Jennifer then?

good point. i guess it's a little weird that they were informal on the death certificates but it's probably just how they rolled back then.

I wonder if their names matched their birth certificates? They could have altered the names and kept them short like that.

Can anyone read what the right hand side of the sign says. Something about the Fire Marshall should be arrested?

The picture with the Fire Marshall says they were examing the bones found

Why is Betty's name listed as "Betty" on the death certificate and not Elizabeth?

Just curious.

most people called betty are named elizabeth.

Not all short names that are usually nicknames are nicknames. I knew an Alex who wasn't "Alexander," and a Greg who wasn't "Gregory." I'm guessing her first name really was Betty.

I was thinking that they should send this to a codebreaker. It really looks weird having dependent sentences and numbers. They could mean something and we can see what he was trying to say

When researching this mystery I keep seeing this photo on websites and even on a video. Nothing indicates that these are the Sodder children yet I have seen it enough times that makes me think whoever posts the photo wants us to think these are the Sodder children. I don't think they are but are they related to the crime in some way or is this just a stock photo publisher's use? To be honest I am surprised I haven't seen more photos of the children.
Disappearance of the Sodder Children Five children, from the ages of 5-14, vanished from their home in Fayetteville, West Virginia, and were never seen again. - Ghost2Ghost.Org

Capture-139.jpg

I think this is the photo that was suspected to be Betty. I don't remember which girl was suppose to be her but it is not the girl in the front right.
I think this is the photo that was suspected to be Betty. I don't remember which girl was suppose to be her but it is not the girl in the front right.
In which magazine did you see that picture? George saw a picture of possibly Betty in 1947. Why have you been looking for a picture from a Ballet School class? George's letter does not mention the school. Does anyone have any information about the school address where George sent his letter?

George Sodder's letter to school was on January 27, 1947. He wrote as follows: "The enclosed picture of several of your students appearing in the May 14, 1946, edition of LOOK magazine is self-explanatory.

I saw this picture on Facebook in the group of Sodder's family. This picture has left me bothered. I pick it up because it was drowned in the plethora of messages. Wendy was looking for ballet photos in magazines 1946-47 and she found this one. I don’t know exactly what magazine this picture is from, but the year could be right. The first of the girls looks like Betty. She has the same look and expression in both pictures. Betty's hair is braided in the picture. She still has long hair. New shorter hair appears on the forehead.

The second picture is from the 1940s. The names of the children in the Sodder family have presumably been changed so that they could not be identified and found, and because death certificates had been written to them.

This picture shows McGuffey Training School students at a dance concert. I don't know if this picture was published in the magazine. I assume the names of the children are missing from the connection to the original image. To my recollection, George was not allowed to know the names of the children or meet his family.

Attachments

• GEORGE LETTER.jpg
    GEORGE LETTER.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 9
  • BALLET 1946 - 47 MAGAZINE.jpg
    BALLET 1946 - 47 MAGAZINE.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 9
  • BETTY SODDER.jpg
    BETTY SODDER.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 9
  • BALLET 3.jpg
    BALLET 3.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Here is the note that George Sodder sent to the New York Ballet School-Walt Whitman School 25 East 78th Street New York, New York.

He thought he recognized a little girl in the magazine that featured this school as being his 2nd youngest daughter, Betty. He followed up by going to New York to the actual school but was turned away by the school. He never found out if the girl was Betty or not. And I cannot find this particular article/picture that he saw.

Attachments

• GEORGE LETTER.jpg
    GEORGE LETTER.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 5
I just found this on the Websleuths site:

Originally Posted by Shadow205

I need help researching and trying to find an old magazine. You will remember mentioned that George Sodder saw a picture of a young girl in a magazine that he beleived was Betty. He traveled to New York in an attempt to identify the girl but was not allowed to see her. Here is the letter that he wrote to the school;

Walt Whitman School
25 East 78th Street
New York, NY
Attn: Miss Louise Krueger, Director

Dear Miss Krueger:

The enclosed picture of several of your students appearing in the May 14, 1946, edition of LOOK magazine is self-explanatory.

For your information, the little girl to which the arrow points quite definitely resembles one of our children who disappeared during the latter part of 1945, and I shall appreciate it greatly if you will, at your earliest convenience, favor me with the following information:

1. Her name
2. The date of her enrollment
3. Any further information you may feel at liberty to supply.

Needless to say, your cooperation in this matter will be more than appreciated.

Yours very truly,

George Sodder

According to Jennie(Granddaughter) it is not known if he received a reply to the letter or not. She thought that she located the correct magazine and purchased it but the picture that she was looking for was not in it. So, evidently there was a mistake on which issue the picture appeared in. Anyone that would like to help could search for anything to do with the school, classmates.com, reunion sites, any place where we might find pictures of students from that time period, any info on "Ms.Krueger".

Any ideas on where we might go with this information?

Jennie also said: My mom remembers the picture showing little girls lined up at a ballet class.

I found a site that lists old issues of Look Magazine and describes some of the topics featured in them:

http://www.pastpaper.com/List-Look40s.htm

The February 5, 1946 issue lists "Ballet Fashion Show". Not sure if that is what we are looking for. I find it hard to believe that Mr. Sodder would get the date of the magazine wrong. Perhaps the magazine has pages missing from it?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back