Current Leads; Facts and Updates.

Status
Not open for further replies.
If sample degradation prevented an accurate comparison, why would they release a finding at all? I know Maternity should be a certain match. But, here it is not matching; yet, the investigators are taking the action to test against the fathers side. This makes sense if Degradation prevented an accurate comparison; yet, they did compare and released a finding. Maybe they did release the 1/9000 information to the family with a subtext about degradation issue and we have not been given that information.

It is matching, it's just not matching with as much certainty as they would like. Matching DNA from an unknown person to a known person does not yield a yes/no answer; it yields a probability. If they would expect the markers that they were able to measure to be present in 1 out of every 9000 people, that is still pretty remarkable. Think about how few 9000 people there are in the US. It isn't like they said 1 out of every 2 people have these markers.

It is matching, it's just not matching with as much certainty as they would like. Matching DNA from an unknown person to a known person does not yield a yes/no answer; it yields a probability. If they would expect the markers that they were able to measure to be present in 1 out of every 9000 people, that is still pretty remarkable. Think about how few 9000 people there are in the US. It isn't like they said 1 out of every 2 people have these markers.

Yes, I understand what you have said but when it is a mitochondrial match up between mother and off spring I do not think 1/9000 is an acceptable match.

I dont know much about dna, but it cant be mitochondrial dna they are checking can it? Because then using male relatives dna from the dads side would be no good.

Or would they have both types of dna stored for the doe? Because they dont retest the sample each time do they? They results are stored.

Or do i have that wrong? Im just learning about how it works.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

We are so close... I hope that Jason's half brother can provide better dna for comparison.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I dont know much about dna, but it cant be mitochondrial dna they are checking can it? Because then using male relatives dna from the dads side would be no good.

Or would they have both types of dna stored for the doe? Because they dont retest the sample each time do they? They results are stored.

Or do i have that wrong? Im just learning about how it works.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I don't know what they have, but you are correct that they should be testing nuclear DNA if they are trying to match to male relatives other than those that share his mother, who also would have had the same mitochondrial DNA. But that doesn't make a lot of sense because the brother's DNA would be the same as the mother's that yielded the inconclusive result.

IIUC mitochondrial dna can not be compared with nuclear dna for a match because they come from different areas in the body. Somewhere here in the UID forum is the information on why a match is unlikely or less likely when compared to a single family member and multiple family members dna is needed. If I can find te link to the info I will add it to the thread.

From the FB post:

"And so now they are going to be getting 5 more samples from Jason's father's children with the male dna being the most important because he is a son and also a male as Jason was."
https://www.facebook.com/GratefulDoe/posts/959966590743628

That reminded me of the DNA matching in the case of Robert DeSalvo, the Boston Strangler, so I reviewed some of the articles I'd read a couple of years ago. The circumstances are different, but this snip might explain why they are interested in testing a male child of GD's father.

"The match was possible because of tests that zero in on short tandem repeats (STRs), which are patterns found on DNA strands. Forensic scientists use a specialized test that focuses on male (Y) chromosomes. Y-chromosome DNA comes from fathers who pass their Y-STR DNA profiles to their male offspring. Barring a mutation, the profiles remain unchanged. Every male in a paternal lineage has the same Y-STR DNA profile. This includes fathers, sons, brothers, uncles, nephews and a wider group of male relatives, even out to third and fourth cousins."

http://nij.gov/journals/273/pages/boston-strangler.aspx

As I understand it, the above won't yield a match to one particular individual, but can narrow the possibilities to a group of male subjects from the same paternal lineage. So combined with the results from the mother's DNA, a positive result would close in the circle. I *think*. ;)

From the FB post:

"And so now they are going to be getting 5 more samples from Jason's father's children with the male dna being the most important because he is a son and also a male as Jason was."
https://www.facebook.com/GratefulDoe/posts/959966590743628

That reminded me of the DNA matching in the case of Robert DeSalvo, the Boston Strangler, so I reviewed some of the articles I'd read a couple of years ago. The circumstances are different, but this snip might explain why they are interested in testing a male child of GD's father.

"The match was possible because of tests that zero in on short tandem repeats (STRs), which are patterns found on DNA strands. Forensic scientists use a specialized test that focuses on male (Y) chromosomes. Y-chromosome DNA comes from fathers who pass their Y-STR DNA profiles to their male offspring. Barring a mutation, the profiles remain unchanged. Every male in a paternal lineage has the same Y-STR DNA profile. This includes fathers, sons, brothers, uncles, nephews and a wider group of male relatives, even out to third and fourth cousins."

http://nij.gov/journals/273/pages/boston-strangler.aspx

As I understand it, the above won't yield a match to one particular individual, but can narrow the possibilities to a group of male subjects from the same paternal lineage. So combined with the results from the mother's DNA, a positive result would close in the circle. I *think*. ;)
I think they should do the same for Lyle Stevik and many others and see if they match anyone elses DNA in the database.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

I think they should do the same for Lyle Stevik and many others and see if they match anyone elses DNA in the database.

[emoji14] [emoji18]

The mother is not expecting an answer until next year. So I guess we'll have to keep waiting

The mother is not expecting an answer until next year. So I guess we'll have to keep waiting
Better then nothing I guess. Maybe they are wanting to make sure its 100%

There hasn't been any updates since June 22 on his profile at Namus. It's like they know he is Callahan, and there's no point in comparing him to anyone else

There hasn't been any updates since June 22 on his profile at Namus. It's like they know he is Callahan, and there's no point in comparing him to anyone else
They have to be extremely careful because what if its not? What if it is someone else then they have given the wrong info to a family who then have to grieve all over again. Plus they have to get 5 states approval is what his FB page said.

I just wanted to jump in here and say thank you to everyone who has worked so hard to help get this guys family some closure..... Fingers crossed we can finally lay GD to rest..... I've been following on and off for years since I joined in 2006.... I'm just sitting here tonight amazed.... Hopeful....I have thought and thought about this guy many times over the years and shared him over and over on facebook as well when he first got a page..... Wow..... I hate waiting but maybe just maybe we got him.... To think he's my age and I was into the dead in high school too.... I Get this weird feeling when I'm reading about him it's like I know him .... Like kindred spirits... This could have been a guy by personality and looks that I would have crushed on back then..... Makes me wonder what if he'd dropped by my college in VA instead and I managed to change his destiny..... Oh well crazy stuff I think about at 3 am when I should be sleeping.....Thinking about you GD.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500