Identified! FL - Crescent Beach, WhtFem UP3036, 30-50, burr holes in skull, Apr'85 - Mary Alice Pultz

JANE DOE - CRESCENT BEACH, FLORIDA — FBI

View attachment 278065

Hair: Light brown to blonde
Height: 5'6"
Weight: 99 pounds
Sex: Female
Race: White
Remarks:
The victim had three burr holes in her skull; she also had fractures to her ribs that had healed one to two years prior to her death.

Details:
The victim was recovered along a dune line on Crescent Beach, Florida. UPDATE: According to the forensic anthropologist, the victim spent her early childhood to early adulthood in France, the United Kingdom, or possibly the southernmost area of Scandinavia. The last 10 years of the victim's life were spent in the U.S. The above pictures are facial composites created from the skeletal remains.

JANE DOE - CRESCENT BEACH, FLORIDA — FBI

View attachment 278065

Hair: Light brown to blonde
Height: 5'6"
Weight: 99 pounds
Sex: Female
Race: White
Remarks:
The victim had three burr holes in her skull; she also had fractures to her ribs that had healed one to two years prior to her death.

Details:
The victim was recovered along a dune line on Crescent Beach, Florida. UPDATE: According to the forensic anthropologist, the victim spent her early childhood to early adulthood in France, the United Kingdom, or possibly the southernmost area of Scandinavia. The last 10 years of the victim's life were spent in the U.S. The above pictures are facial composites created from the skeletal remains.
Well, that would explain why she was never connected to any local MP cases (especially if her family is still in Europe). At middle age, I'd wager a husband/partner was likely involved and that's why she was never reported missing.

Trying to get some better view on this lady's background and whereabouts.
  • The victim was discovered on April 10, 1985 in Crescent Beach, St. Johns County, Florida
  • Estimated 35 - 50 years (FBI file, reviewed in 2015) so born between 1935 - 1950 (Namus says 30 - 50 BTW but last review was 2009, so I go with the FBI file)
  • Estimated Date of Death: Years (Let's go with this to have some kind of estimate; Police believe that woman was killed one to five years before her remains were found) http://www.firstcoastnews.com/topst...e-seek-help-identifying-remains-found-in-1985 ) So probably between 1980 - 1984
  • Fractures to her ribs that had healed one to two years prior to her death. (A fractured rib usually takes at least 6 weeks to heal) Keep on estimating; impact on ribs could have occurred as early as 1978 (accident?)
  • The last 10 years of the victim's life were spent in the U.S. Estimated years in US from 1970 - 1984, age with birth 1935 between 35 - 49, age with birth 1950 between 20 - 34
  • the victim spent her early childhood to early adulthood in France, the United Kingdom, or possibly the southernmost area of Scandinavia. Early adulthood physical (ages 20–40, sources differ 20 -45)
My conclusion is that the estimated year of death is a complicating factor to pinpoint things down further.
She was born between 1935 - 1950 in either France, UK or southernmost area of Scandinavia (Denmark?)
and went to the US during the early 70's, I think with a husband/boyfriend in her late 20's. (this is speculation)

• The victim was discovered on April 10, 1985 in Crescent Beach, St. Johns County, Florida
  • Estimated 35 - 50 years (FBI file, reviewed in 2015) so born between 1935 - 1950 (Namus says 30 - 50 BTW but last review was 2009, so I go with the FBI file)
  • Estimated Date of Death: Years (Let's go with this to have some kind of estimate; Police believe that woman was killed one to five years before her remains were found) http://www.firstcoastnews.com/topst...e-seek-help-identifying-remains-found-in-1985 ) So probably between 1980 - 1984
  • Fractures to her ribs that had healed one to two years prior to her death. (A fractured rib usually takes at least 6 weeks to heal) Keep on estimating; impact on ribs could have occurred as early as 1978 (accident?)
  • The last 10 years of the victim's life were spent in the U.S. Estimated years in US from 1970 - 1984, age with birth 1935 between 35 - 49, age with birth 1950 between 20 - 34
  • the victim spent her early childhood to early adulthood in France, the United Kingdom, or possibly the southernmost area of Scandinavia. Early adulthood physical (ages 20–40, sources differ 20 -45)
My conclusion is that the estimated year of death is a complicating factor to pinpoint things down further.
She was born between 1935 - 1950 in either France, UK or southernmost area of Scandinavia (Denmark?)
and went to the US during the early 70's, I think with a husband/boyfriend in her late 20's. (this is speculation)
Thanks for breaking things down like that. I love when you do that, it helps me visualize too. :D

I’m really not even sure where to begin to look. But I’m guessing she is unfortunately not going to be in any MP database. Not in the US anyway. I get a feeling maybe she came over with a significant other or for a significant other (met a military man and returned with him) and then endured a life of physical abuse? Also speculation on my part. The experts say automobile accident, so that’s probably likely, but I don’t think we can rule out physical abuse. I haven’t read anywhere that said the injuries may have been sustained at separate times from one another. I suppose that would be telling.

Based on the timeline, it’s relatively safe to say she sustained a lot of the trauma once she was in the US. I’m not knowledgeable when in comes to historical events, but did anything occur in one of the geographical regions listed that could have forced her to the States? Thus decreasing the chances of her being reported missing.

And are anthropological findings as accurate as isotope test results, as far as narrowing down geographic origin, etc? Does anyone know?

Based on the timeline, it’s relatively safe to say she sustained a lot of the trauma once she was in the US. I’m not knowledgeable when in comes to historical events, but did anything occur in one of the geographical regions listed that could have forced her to the States? Thus decreasing the chances of her being reported missing.

And are anthropological findings as accurate as isotope test results, as far as narrowing down the geographic origin, etc? Does anyone know?
From my knowledge of history, which is admittedly pretty minimal, there wasn't anything in Scandinavia that would have made a person flee to the United States. France had a massive economic crisis during the late sixties/early seventies (May 68), which could be a factor. The UK had the Northern Ireland conflict, as well as their own set of economic troubles. I'd say it's definitely possible.

And are anthropological findings as accurate as isotope test results, as far as narrowing down geographic origin, etc? Does anyone know?

Interesting question. Don't we have a forensic anthropologist "on the block" who could answer you question? Based on my scientific interest, I'm curious myself to know what made them come to this specific countries. Not to question it, just to know the analysis. @Susikatze aren't you an archaeologist? Can you help us out?

BTW I searched the national MP data base in France and some FB sites from there, just to give it a try, but didn't come up with a possible match. My feeling is that she probably isn't an official missing person, but more somebody who traveled abroad and family thinks they are happy and alive, but lost contact. I did look on sites where people search for a missing family member/friend they lost contact with who went to US in the 70's, but no success yet.

Last edited:
Since this case still appears old and cold, there’s a missing person from the opposite coast of Florida (about a 5 hour drive). She is Cynthia Woodard who went missing 2/1/1979 from Fort Myers Beach FL. She was age 22. She had previous injuries from an auto accident, but nothing found regarding a skull injury or surgery but I don’t have a lot of confidence in the data in some of these old missing persons cases. Will attempt to link this to Cynthia’s Websleuths thread after this posts. No idea if this could really be her but you never know...

Since this case still appears old and cold, there’s a missing person from the opposite coast of Florida (about a 5 hour drive). She is Cynthia Woodard who went missing 2/1/1979 from Fort Myers Beach FL. She was age 22. She had previous injuries from an auto accident, but nothing found regarding a skull injury or surgery but I don’t have a lot of confidence in the data in some of these old missing persons cases. Will attempt to link this to Cynthia’s Websleuths thread after this posts. No idea if this could really be her but you never know...
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...-fort-meyers-1-feb-1979.369357/#post-16205236

xKX7Xqc.jpg

I'm not entirely satisfied with this, but I thought Jane Doe deserved a more human reconstruction. I ended up using an image of her teeth from the FBI reconstruction, as I couldn't find any like hers online.

Thanks @imstalla.grandma. X

Date found:1985-04-10
PMI:1-5 years
Est. age at death:25 to 45
Sex:female
Race:White
Hair color:Blonde
Height:63 to 70 inches
Dental Records:Available
DNA Records:Available
FACES Case #:13-02
Agency:St. Johns County Sheriff's Office
Agency Phone:(904) 824-8304

Identifying features
Previous injury to right side of head, nose, both cheeks, 5 left ribs, both ankles. All possibly due to car wreck.

1654766034446.png

I like the recon made by @victoriarobinson642 much more. :)

Nothing about the burr holes. Could they have been for drainage?

Revising my post above based on Case #13-02 - LA Repository for Unidentified & Missing People

• Estimated 35 - 50 years (FBI file, reviewed in 2015) so born between 1935 - 1950 (Namus says 30 - 50 BTW but last review was 2009, so I go with the FBI file) Age estimated between 25 - 45, then born between 1940 - 1960
  • Previous injury to right side of head, nose, both cheeks, 5 left ribs, both ankles. All possibly due to car wreck.
  • Fractures to her ribs that had healed one to two years prior to her death. (A fractured rib usually takes at least 6 weeks to heal) Keep on estimating; impact on ribs and other injuries could have occurred as early as 1978 and up.
  • The last 10 years of the victim's life were spent in the U.S She was found in 1985, could have been killed between 1980- 1984 (PMI 1-5 years)
    Calculated with PMI in mind
    1980 – 10 = 1970
    1984 – 10 = 1974
    Or calculated from 1985 (year found) – 10 = 1975
    Came to the US in 1970 - 1975 in early adulthood Early adulthood physical (ages 20–40, sources differ 20 -45)
    When born in 1940
    Age between 30 – 35
    When born in 1960
    Age between 10 – 15
  • the victim spent her early childhood to early adulthood in France, the United Kingdom, or possibly the southernmost area of Scandinavia. She must have been born before 1960 if she was 20 and up when she arrived in the US between 1970 and 1975.
Somehow things are not adding up or my calculation is totally off. :confused:

After nearly four decades, a murdered woman, whose remains were found in a shallow grave in Crescent Beach, Florida, has been identified as Mary Alice Pultz of Maryland.

Mary Alice’s family revealed to investigators that they lost contact with her around 1968 and rumors had spread over the years that she may have been killed by her boyfriend in either Florida or Georgia.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sassyfox
Back