GA GA - Blake Chappell, 17, Coweta Co, 15 Oct 2011

In addition to the links above, here’s another article that provides in-depth information on this strange case.

Also, John Lordan and Rachel Shannon each provided excellent coverage on their respective true crime channels.

Summary (feel free to skip, if you already know the story)
Blake Tyler Chappell, from Senoia, GA, disappeared in the early morning hours of Sunday, October 16, 2011. The day before, he had gone to a homecoming party at with his girlfriend Rion. After the party, Rion’s mother, Shannon, dropped Blake off at his friend Austin’s house where Blake had planned to spend the night.

But around 2-3 a.m. that night, Blake told Austin that he wanted to see Rion again. So Blake decided to walk the 3 miles from Austin’s house in Highwoods Parkway to Rion’s house in Avondale Circle
and arrived around 4:30 a.m.

However, Rion’s family caught him in her room, so Blake left around 5 a.m., presumably to walk back to Austin’s house. He was never seen again.

Around 5:30 a.m., a text from Blake’s phone said that Blake was being “pulled over” by a cop, who asked him for ID and then let him go. Curiously, police say they have no record of any officer stopping anyone at that time.

Two months later, on December 19, Blake’s body was found “in a small creek that runs alongside the driving range at SummerGrove Golf Club,” which I assume is White Oak Creek. He had died from a “gunshot to the head,” but it was unknown how long he’d been at the creek.

To complicate matters, Blake and his mom had just moved to Senoia in order to escape a violent situation in Jonesboro, GA, where they had been living. Earlier that same year, Blake had a different girlfriend who ran away from her stepdad and sought refuge with Blake. The stepdad went looking for Blake with a gun and, when he found Blake, proceeded to throw him to the ground and repeatedly kick him in the face. The stepdad then charged Blake with interfering with custody, since the girlfriend at age 16 was technically still a minor, so Blake was the one who was arrested, spent two weeks in jail, and had to pay bond. In fact, Blake was due back in court on October 24, eight days after his disappearance.

My Thoughts
I don't think the stepdad is responsible for Blake's disappearance, though. The stepdad clearly had motive (his stepdaughter) and means (a gun), but I don't think he had opportunity. Blake’s actions that night were spontaneous. No one could’ve predicted that Blake would be out in the middle of the night. On top of that, Jonesboro is about 46 minutes away from Summer Grove. I really doubt the stepdad, or someone working for him, drove all that way to harm Blake on the off-chance he might be alone.

I also don’t think Rion’s family was involved. Sure, they could’ve been angered by Blake sneaking into their teen daughter’s room in the middle of the night. But by all accounts, Rion’s family were the first to look for him, and continued to be active in subsequent searches. And to this day, Rion’s mom Shannon tearfully regrets letting Blake leave their house that morning.

And I don't think Austin was involved, even though there are some issues with his story. Austin says he gave Blake a jacket that night, but Rion says Blake came into her room wearing an Aeropostale hoodie. A bag that Blake left at Austin’s house that night mysteriously disappeared when Austin's family was moving. However, the location of Blake’s body suggests that he never made it back to Austin’s. Maybe Austin misremembered giving him the jacket, or maybe Blake decided last-minute to leave it behind, and Austin simply didn’t notice. The jacket and the bag could’ve then been lost in the move. And we should note that Austin was the first to flag down a police car to ask for help in the search for Blake.

That leaves the “cop.”

Maybe a cop stopped Blake, something happened that led to Blake’s death, and this led to a police cover-up. This would explain why there was no record of a cop stopping anyone that night. But it wouldn’t explain why the police began to look for Blake that same day—and didn’t stop until they found him two months later. If LE was involved, they could’ve just dismissed Blake as a runaway and not searched at all, as happens in so many other cases.

So I think the person who stopped Blake was someone posing as a police officer. Maybe this person liked to look for potential victims late at night, and Blake just happened to be there. It's possible that things happened as Blake described, that the "cop" stopped him, asked him for ID, then let him go—only for him to circle back and offer a ride after Blake texted. Or the "cop" could've sent the text as a cover after harming him.

Sexual assault may have been the motive, as Blake's body was found clothed in just a T-shirt and boxers. And I forget the name, but wasn't there a sexual predator who had a girlfriend/wife, but would leave the house late at night, say he was going to work, but was really stalking random victims? I feel like this case is consistent with a random attack by a sexual predator.
I have a big problem with the lost backpack and jacket. I don’t believe Austin was involved in his death but to me it is a question that needs to be answered. I cannot imagine that the police didn’t ask them about any belongings he left at their house. I’d imagine that they searched the homes very soon after he went missing. So what was done with it?
The “cop” I agree that this was an imposter and it does bring to mind several serial killers who used the police impersonation as a way to find victims. I remember someone in recent years being caught doing that but I have to try to find what I read to see if they were ever in the area in that time period. Total long shot…
Also the cop impersonation would be an excellent way for a hit man to make a positive ID on his mark then circle back and do the deed. This to me is a viable theory because he spent time in Clayton County, I happen to know (no proof) that what is basically the Dixie Mafia is still alive and well in that area, honestly in Meriwether, Troup, Heard etc… all over the state basically. Coweta also has a gang problem as well so there is that.
Has any one mentioned him having any connections with drugs? I hate to ask that, it doesn’t take away from the tragedy of his death or the need to solve it but it is a valid question.

His background is troubling in that his mother seemed to establish early in his life a connection with unsavory people and activities. No child should feel the need to stand in front of his mother’s car and tell her not to drink and drive. He may have learned the phrase in school and the danger of it but it sounds to me as though he was afraid. Like maybe he had experienced something that made him afraid. No child should be unattended long enough to be able to walk 2-3 blocks to ask people who is daddy is. You know there were a ton of men diving into the ocean when he did that… It is not a good start and makes me think that there is a lot about that family that we do not know. I know his mama didn’t hurt him but I am having a very hard time relating to her parenting strategies.

Yeah, I agree. Since when is 17 an adult? I have always been under the impression that in the state of Georgia one is not considered an adult till 18 and you can’t legally drink till 21. I have no problem with the drinking law but the majority of 17 year olds, while very capable if so motivated can make a living and do a lot of adult type things, your average 17 year old is FAR from an adult. He was definitely not the first kid to be caught in his girlfriend’s bedroom. I wasn’t that kid but between TV and listening in at school I thought that was basically a right of passage .
Now, if my daddy had caught a boy in my room he would have had a talk with the boy…a very stern talk with the boy and possibly spanked his butt. Now my mama on the other hand would have killed both of us. I never did any of that stuff and still got accused of it
There is a separate issue in play, besides the "18 year is an adult" rule.
That is the age on consent. In Georgia you have to be 16 to give consent to have sex. I believe he was 17 and she was 16. That means, though still minors, no law was broken if they had sex.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back