GA - Shirley & Russell Dermond, Putnam County **Media Links***NO DISCUSSION***

The murders at Lake Oconee: 4 years later elderly couple's son opens up

Published on May 3, 2018
Four years after his elderly parents' brutal murders, their son believes it's time to talk and hopefully break someone else's silence, uncovering a clue into who killed Russell and Shirley Dermond.

From <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GueYVL7_TpM>

Vinnie/11Alive: Tonight, for the first time, and only here on 11Alive you are seeing video of the last time Russell Dermond was seen alive. I have got the video behind me. Take a look. This is from May 1st, 2014. He is entering a grocery store and I will run the video right now. You can see him walking in, but the video gets a little bit clearer later on as he is checking out of this same store. Now just 5 days after this his headless body was discovered in his garage and his wife was missing. Her body was found nearly 2 weeks later in Lake Oconee. Until now the couple's children have remained silent, but tonight the youngest son sits down exclusively with investigator Rebecca Lindstrom to explain why.

Brad Dermond: They were very private people.

Rebecca Lindstrom: Russell and Shirley Dermond never wanted to be in the spotlight. It's one reason they built their retirement home tucked away in a cul-de-sac nestled in a cove on Lake Oconee.

BD: That particular spot, that cove, where they had, was really private.

RL: And it is out of respect for that privacy their youngest son, Brad, struggled with the idea of talking to me.

BD: They probably would not approve of us even doing this today.

RL: But now Brad Dermond fears even more it is that privacy that has made it so difficult to catch his parents' killers. The house sits so far out of view no one noticed a car or boat move their bodies. No one heard any strange sounds coming from the house as Russell Dermond was decapitated in the garage.

BD: We don't even know how he was murdered because we don't have his head.

RL: Brad has now opened the photo albums sharing those precious moments of laughter with his mother, the weddings, the births, all the things that make life worth living.

BD: Just the most wonderful people you would ever want to meet.

RL: And for the first time, Sheriff Sills has released this surveillance video of Russell Dermond. Around 2:30 on May 1st a camera at Publix captures him picking up a prescription. Moments later he goes to grab some bread and cucumbers.

BD: Absolutely nothing out of the ordinary.

RL: But it is the last day Brad talked with his father and the last time anyone we know saw him alive.

Dispatcher: Putnam County 911.

Female voice (neighbor): Yes, I have an emergency. I think I have somebody dead.

RL: It would be another 5 days before a neighbor would find his body and nearly 2 more weeks before Shirley would surface in the lake with concrete blocks tied to her ankles.

BD: It's the horror they must have gone through from the time that it began and when it was finished. That's what is so difficult to overcome.

RL: There was nothing missing from the house or their bank accounts. The couple had no enemies.

BD: And then it just always ends up with a big question mark.

RL: There was a brother with a lifelong battle with drugs, shot and killed 14 years earlier.

RL: What about the mob?

BD: Right. Yeah, it's not there.

RL: Did you have anything to do with your dad's death?

BD: Right. And then all of us, my brother and my sister, were nowhere near. All of us were at our homes hundreds of miles away kind of thing.

RL: Brad says in the early days everyone was a suspect. He remembers walking the house with Sheriff Sills. He was the only one that he took into that garage.

BD: The garage scene was obviously very personal. I was the only one that went in there with the Sheriff. I am not sure really what he was looking for other than maybe a reaction from me of some sort.

RL: But Sills said he quickly ruled out Brad and the rest of the family. It's everyone else that remains a suspect. That's why the family is now appealing to the public hoping someone got cocky or said too much one night over drinks.

BD: We may not like how long it takes, but it will be solved.

RL: Brad says he still sees his father in his dreams and at times it appears as if he is trying to show him something or get him to read something. Right now he has no idea what it means, but if you have any information that could help in this case you are asked to call the Putnam County Sheriff Office.

https://www.12newsnow.com/article/n...ter-elderly-couples-son-opens-up/85-548449019

I wonder if someone thought the Dermonds saw or heard something, so someone had them killed to keep it private. Maybe someone offered Russell some insider information and later realized it was a bad idea. Maybe one of them saw a cheating spouse leaving a lovers house. I think someone close to them was involved, but the hired professional or semi-professional help.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back