Netherlands Help needed for identification of a specific logo in relation to a Dutch cold case murder/unidentified woman.

Looks like crossed arrows on a seal of some kind. Could be Native American/First Nation or Military.

Crossed arrows is a common iconography in both.

The perimeter looks like alternating arrow heads or trees.
My mind too went to arrows, not ski poles. Google isn't much help these days due to too many algo rhythm changes, darn it. Also, the red reminds me of henna temporary tattoos. The triangles remind me of arrowheads, Perhaps some kind of tribe?

I think it's either crossed ski poles surrounded by fir trees or crossed trekking poles surrounded by the sun (especially as both of those sports are very prevalent in the Dolomites). I also think it's entirely possible that someone "made up" the embroidery design & it (possibly) cannot be found elsewhere because of that. MOO.

Is it printed or embroidered on? Did they test the fabric of the logo itself to see if it glows like modern fabric, or if it's older?

This could be ethnic Russian - Searching on Yandex for the logo returns similar-looking patterns in things from antiques to modern 'linen rune bags'.

Examples of Russian embroidery:

The patch being from something old, or something that's spiritually significant, may explain why it was used where it was.

Edit to add: On the third slide here, it shows a pattern with the triangle points facing out, with the same number of points, (16), as in the logo. Солярные знаки и древние символы в вышивке языческих славян доклад, проект If you look at the logo closely, you'll notice that the triangles alternate between triangles and diamonds. The inner part could be something similar to Mara's Cross, or arrows.

There's a site which has a 'map of Russia in embroidery' which I'm not sure how to link directly to because of the different language set in the URL, but is linked in the third paragraph of this article: Artists Map Russia’s Regions in Folk Embroidery - The Moscow Times

Murmansk region from that map:

View attachment 473655
Nice find. I'm leaning more and more to hand made embroidery because it's irregulier. Yes, I agree with you. The patch had to mean something significant to the person and they took the other holes in the cloth for granted.

This is the jacket on which the logo is sewn.View attachment 473670

“In addition to the body, the container held men’s clothing, including a white jacket with a striking detail: a logo sewn in over a scorch mark.”

To add. The patch was sewn in the collar of this coat.

Although it's not the same, it's a similar concept to this quilt pattern:

dsc002263.jpg

the pattern of holes in the patch make me think it might be cut from a old quilt.

This is a clearer picture.
View attachment 473766

The fabric in the middle of the pattern is different (fluffier?) to the backing fabric, so this is definitely some kind of patch or printed sewing template.

Is it possible this is actually the *back* of the patch? I guess we'll never know if the patch was sewn on inside-out.

I ended up down some rabbit holes (thanks insomnia). Here are some things I was exploring incase it interests anyone

History of Nordic walking (ski pole walking) - Finland

Slavic red embroidery

I found red on white was prominent when searching Finnish embroidery, caught my interest after reading about the nordic walking

View attachment 473678

There's a yoga studio with the outside / polar star matching, but they don't appear to have started using that logo until 15 some years later.
When I look at this design, I think of the sun. I think I only thought of trees because as a "stitched design" the threads made it look like trees and arrow heads to me. This makes me think of a stylized sun. I have changed my mind to agree with it being a hand stitched patch, I see that when I enlarge it. I do think the things in the middle are hiking poles now and I think one person just made this patch on a quilt or or other item you would use at home. So for me, I don't think I will find it "out there" so to speak. But this was in the man's coat, not the victim's coat. It was in with the body and her stuff in the container. So if someone knew him and knew he had that patch in his coat, they maybe able to find out who shot her. The victim for all we know made the patch and he ended up with it. These are just my thoughts, you all have really found some good things to think about. But tracing her DNA or DNA on any of the clothing items would be the best way, but if they could do that, I would think they would have.

Hello! I googled and found there is a type of embroidery called REDWORK , another words, using red thread on a white background, which would be in keeping with the homemade aspect. Just a thought, and am going back to more google. JMO MOO I'm a ninny. I see @LeahBee mentioned some thing similar in a previous post, which I read but I guess it didn't sink in,lol.
Oh well.:rolleyes:

I ended up down some rabbit holes (thanks insomnia). Here are some things I was exploring incase it interests anyone

History of Nordic walking (ski pole walking) - Finland

Slavic red embroidery

I found red on white was prominent when searching Finnish embroidery, caught my interest after reading about the nordic walking
My first thought was scandinavia and hikingtrails up north in the mountains, next thought was the sami people and tourism but I really dont know.1704978856011.jpeg

Hello! I googled and found there is a type of embroidery called REDWORK , another words, using red thread on a white background, which would be in keeping with the homemade aspect. Just a thought, and am going back to more google. JMO MOO I'm a ninny. I see @LeahBee mentioned some thing similar in a previous post, which I read but I guess it didn't sink in,lol.
Oh well.:rolleyes:
I am glad you found this, because I posted back a ways that I didn't understand why trees or arrow heads would be red. When I looked at Ski logos most had mountains in the design or ski's, not just the poles, and the colors were correct for what they depicted. So if this is a sun and hiking poles, handmade patch or quilt block, this makes sense.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ATLSooner
Back