How can GBC appeal? Discussion, links, and documents

Fallout continues after Baden-Clay trial

August 07, 2014

IT’S almost three weeks since reviled wife killer Gerard Baden-Clay was handed a life sentence for murdering the mother of his three daughters. Alas, the anger — as is often the case in high-profile cases — has spilt over and resulted in unsettling and vile threats and insults being levelled at people undeserving of any criticism whatsoever. Case in point, we know Baden-Clay’s lawyers have been on the receiving end of countless menacing phone calls and emails since the case wrapped up.

http://www.goldcoastbulletin.com.au...lebrity-august-7/story-fnj90t7b-1227016623984

Marly, this is awful. I hate this type of behaviour. Lets hope it wasnt any Websleuthers. Everyone, please keep things in perspective.

Sent from my ZTE T81 using Tapatalk

Not sure where to put this link, but I am sure Marly can sort out for us.

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/com...rial-ebook-available-now-20140808-101vsm.html

For two years, the murder and disappearance of Allison Baden-Clay captivated the thoughts of a city. On June 9, judgement day began. Gerard Baden-Clay pleaded innocence, and his trial began.

Did he do it? Yes, he did.

After 21 days of trial and jury deliberation, Baden-Clay was found guilty. During that 21 days, Brisbane Times reporter Marissa Calligeros sat through each fascinating minute, listening to the intriguing accounts of each witness, bringing readers a live commentary of the case.

Advertisement
Now, Brisbane Times is offering readers the opportunity to re-live the case, take to it with a fine tooth comb, and determine how the jury might have been thinking.

Read more: http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/com...ilable-now-20140808-101vsm.html#ixzz39mRHLWsK

http://images.brisbanetimes.com.au/.../Marks_Of_Murder%20(1).pdf?rand=1407469417076

http://www.goldcoastbulletin.com.au...lebrity-august-7/story-fnj90t7b-1227016623984

Corridors of Power: Hot gossip on Queensland politics, law, business, celebrity,
THE COURIER-MAIL, AUGUST 07, 2014 12:21PM

It is a well respected tenet of Queensland Law that everyone deserves the right to a fair trial to ensure justice is not only done, but seen to be done. "No one can argue Baden-Clay didn’t have the best representation available" ... "the community can sleep well in the knowledge Baden-Clay is behind bars despite a robust defence". ...

Successful on appeal or no appeal granted- either way I look at it GBC is never going to be the same person he was going into the trial. At the beginning of the trial he was innocent. NOW..... he has been convicted and by a jury who had no personal or intellectual link to the case (say- as opposed to us WS-ers). GBC has done some good inside time. As this is his punishment.

His actions in killing his adoring and forever forgiving wife and leaving his 3 daughters wanting parents for the best part of their lives is not something that will give him currency or standing with other inmates. So this farce of an appeal; successful or not, will keep his distress raw - it will not make his distress go away and will most definitely not change his status amongst his new peers.

And so it should be this way!

He 'quite candidly' is so very lucky; as experiencing part of a life is NOTHING in comparison to sentence he committed to Allison. The years of hell that he put Allison through and the further punishment he chose to give her beautiful girls. It is sickening to imagine the taunting, teasing and disparaging that Allison endured at this excuse for a man's hands. And not only that but we have eager and willing accessories; (maybe not people listed explicitly but we as WS'ers know) and the court documents of the trial will forever present these details to the public.

The fact that GBC could dispense with a life, is an indescribable act of inhumanity. But today and now EVERY day justice for Allison was preserved! The message the justice system handed down was indeed signed by Allison's hand.

GBC is a broken man, tears of self pity, family shame, a false pretence of incredulity at being convicted will not serve him well in presenting to his new gaol companions. It is here in gaol that a further justice system will enact wrath and hatred. It is strange that GBC, who was unconditionally accepted by his family and wife, could be so indifferent and callous to those who offered him their most heartfelt forgiveness.

I still don't think he gets it.

Marks of Murder, Gerard Baden-Clay trial eBook available now

Now, Brisbane Times is offering readers the opportunity to re-live the case, take to it with a fine tooth comb, and determine how the jury might have been thinking.

Marks of Murder is not a book, or eBook, as we know it - rather, it is a collection of live coverage, as it happened. It captures the suspense, the emotion and the anxiety which gripped Queensland at that time. It includes news stories and a feature as compiled by Marissa at the time.

Read more: http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/com...ilable-now-20140808-101vsm.html#ixzz39qTGBfIK

Classic opening line in the above book....lol...

"Gerard Baden-Clay was the consummate salesman. And his favourite product was Gerard Baden-Clay"

Marly, this is awful. I hate this type of behaviour. Lets hope it wasnt any Websleuthers. Everyone, please keep things in perspective.

Sent from my ZTE T81 using Tapatalk

Hi Breaking. I think I can guarantee it wouldn't be one of us with what we've known since Allison's death we've never stooped so low. We may have vented on WS but never encroached from those boundaries. Our wonderful WS attendees were the minority, there were so many others there in court, even school kids.
Many of us knew where TM worked under her new name and didn't make any waves.
I'm actually really surprised that the defence is getting nasty messages.
They thought the prosecution had nothing but circumstance so they got cocky and dropped the ball IMHO.
I'm still disgusted with the slanderous suggestions pointed towards Allison, that still makes me fume.

Hi Breaking. I think I can guarantee it wouldn't be one of us with what we've known since Allison's death we've never stooped so low. We may have vented on WS but never encroached from those boundaries. Our wonderful WS attendees were the minority, there were so many others there in court, even school kids.
Many of us knew where TM worked under her new name and didn't make any waves.
I'm actually really surprised that the defence is getting nasty messages.
They thought the prosecution had nothing but circumstance so they got cocky and dropped the ball IMHO.
I'm still disgusted with the slanderous suggestions pointed towards Allison, that still makes me fume.

It happens after every high profile case unfortunately. Sadly a section of the community sees defence lawyers as apologists for abhorrent criminal activity. Without getting into a political debate (which I'm sure is not allowed here anyway) a well known MP publicly lambasted defence lawyers (one firm in particular) as being part of the 'criminal machine' which goes to show the level of ignorance present even amongst our state's lawmakers.

I can completely understand your concern in regards to what you called slanderous suggestions towards Allison, you are entitled to that point of view but permit me if I may to explain why this occurred.

Brief legal lesson (yawns aplenty I'm sure!), while there is no constitutional right to representation in Australia as there is in many other countries, those accused of serious offences do have a common law right to representation by virtue of Dietrich v The Queen [1992] HCA 57, if legal representation cannot be obtained for whatever reason then a stay of proceedings would be ordered which means the accused may never face trial for their alleged crime.

Further to this, the legal representative(s) must act for the accused in such a manner that a miscarriage of justice is avoided. Where an alternative scenario exists, even if it may be viewed as remote, it's an avenue that the defence must explore during trial lest the very real possibility that the verdict may be vacated on appeal if it is ignored. While it is never pleasant for family, friends and supporters of a victim (especially when the victim is deceased) to hear evidence that they might consider misleading or just plain wrong, it's an integral part of the judicial process in Australia. Nobody takes pleasure in speaking ill of the dead, even the dreaded defence lawyer! But the job of the defence lawyer is to assist the court in arriving at the truth (the same goes for the prosecution I might add) and in this case it includes cross examining witnesses who may not have held Allison in the esteem that most would think she deserves and advancing theories that some will inevitably find unthinkable and offensive but all the same cannot be ruled out by experts in their field.

Something I'd like to add is that barristers operate under what is referred to as the 'cab rank rule'. This means that if the barrister receives a brief, is available during the dates required and the fee is what would ordinarily be acceptable (as well as a few other conditions) then he/she MUST accept the brief, regardless of whether or not they believe the accused is guilty. Defence lawyers are human beings as well, they have children themselves, parents, brothers and sisters and friends like anyone else. Believe me when I say that they take no personal pleasure in defending a client accused of a heinous crime and despite the lack of admissions, is almost certainly guilty of that offence. However what they can take pleasure in is being an integral and indispensable part of the judicial process where if it wasn't for their expertise and willingness to act on behalf of the accused, knowing very well that they face public ridicule and abuse, a dangerous criminal might never even face trial.

It's a <modsnip> of a job at times and those who abuse and threaten members of the legal profession simply for appearing on behalf of someone (where often they don't even have a choice) need to take a bloody good hard look at themselves.

Chief Justice Tim Carmody says a subcommittee has been set up to look at the possibility of televised trials

August 15, 2014

LIVE court case broadcasts for high-profile trials, similar to the unprecedented coverage of the Oscar Pistorius trial in South Africa, are on the cards for Queensland.

Chief Justice Tim Carmody has revealed a special subcommittee has now been set up to investigate the possibility of televised proceedings and live streaming.

It follows unheard-of public interest in recent Queensland trials, such as the trial of wife-killer Gerard Baden-Clay and Daniel Morcombe&#8217;s murderer Brett Peter Cowan, where members of the public lined up for hours to secure seats in the courtroom.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/...televised-trials/story-fnihsrf2-1227024736019

Update on the above...

Public attention over Gerard Baden-Clay and Brett Peter Cowan trials sparks renewed calls for televised courts

August 18, 2014 12:00AM

QUEENSLAND Premier Campbell Newman has switched on to the televised trial debate, saying he would back a move to broadcast court cases.

Mr Newman said it had been 10 years since the last review into the issue and it was time to again consider whether cameras should be allowed into the Supreme Court of Queensland to televise or live-stream proceedings.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/...televised-courts/story-fnihsrf2-1227027349516

Yup agree Katie, - you just off your wife and you wait till the kids are at school the next morning before disposing her body. ..... Ummm nup I think I would take the risk. Either call my parents and say - hey have to run an errand and want you to be here or - go with better get rid of this body b4 someone ties the kill to me.

Today was Fathers' day. Hope he dad a hard day. Perhaps his daughters visited. This would have been hard. I could understand they would want to have hope Dad did not do it. I wonder if the older two are aware of why mum was so sad....I know when I was a kid I was So aware of what was really going on.....but afraid to let on........pretending everything is okay.

Does anyone have a grip on which way the appeal will be tackled and who will be his appeal advocates/reps will be?

I figure there is a lot of work going on now on both sides and it is already middle of September.....This is legal argument thing, yes about the trial, yes? I wonder if other cages have been rattled?

Today was Fathers' day. Hope he dad a hard day. Perhaps his daughters visited. This would have been hard. I could understand they would want to have hope Dad did not do it. I wonder if the older two are aware of why mum was so sad....I know when I was a kid I was So aware of what was really going on.....but afraid to let on........pretending everything is okay.

Does anyone have a grip on which way the appeal will be tackled and who will be his appeal advocates/reps will be?

I figure there is a lot of work going on now on both sides and it is already middle of September.....This is legal argument thing, yes about the trial, yes? I wonder if other cages have been rattled?

And didn't he just have a birthday - was it yesterday also? The 7th?
Birthdays, Mr Wife Killer, Allison will never have another.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/...aden-clay-appeal/story-fntwpug1-1227360415445

Date set for Baden-Clay appeal
DAVID MURRAY THE COURIER-MAIL MAY 20, 2015

Priscilla and Geoff Dickie released a statement after a date was set for her killer husband Gerard Baden-Clay&#8217;s appeal against his conviction for her murder...
&#8220;We would ask you all to respect our privacy during this difficult time. The family will be making no further comments on the matter.&#8221;

The Courier-Mail has previously revealed Queensland&#8217;s top prosecutor will take charge of the appeal: Director of Public Prosecutions, Tony Moynihan, will replace senior Crown prosecutor Todd Fuller for the appeal.

FYI
http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/q...-1227360415445

Gerard Baden-Clay, the former Brisbane real estate agent serves his time without contact with his daughters. Baden-Clay has not seen his three daughters since his conviction last July. He has also been barred from contacting the girls as he spends his days at Wolston Correctional Centre...

Seems some good decisions have been made protecting the best interests of the daughters' mental/emotional health. Well done Family Court, Court Counsellors and legal teams IMHO.

ocd.pngThose cases that just won&#8217;t go away&#8230; they're the ones that somehow keep getting back into my in-tray.

The first case that got me on this OC journey was the murder of Allison.
The 'obsessive thought' was that this arrogant SOB husband Gerard Baden-Clay had the audacity to think that he could get away with murdering his wife and in the city of my birth. It became personal :)

The 'anxiety' led me to join websleuths, which then became my 'compulsive behaviour'. I've been having what some would call outrageous opinion ever since and yet I interpret according to classic texts that reside in my grey cells. All IMO of course.

I gained 'temporary relief' when the verdict of guilty was announced and now I'm back to 'obsessive thoughts' of... what if he wins his appeal.

Here we go again on the roundabout. Bring on 7th August... :cheer:

View attachment 75786Those cases that just won’t go away… they're the ones that somehow keep getting back into my in-tray.

The first case that got me on this OC journey was the murder of Allison.
The 'obsessive thought' was that this arrogant SOB husband Gerard Baden-Clay had the audacity to think that he could get away with murdering his wife and in the city of my birth. It became personal :)

The 'anxiety' led me to join websleuths, which then became my 'compulsive behaviour'. I've been having what some would call outrageous opinion ever since and yet I interpret according to classic texts that reside in my grey cells. All IMO of course.

I gained 'temporary relief' when the verdict of guilty was announced and now I'm back to 'obsessive thoughts' of... what if he wins his appeal.

Here we go again on the roundabout. Bring on 7th August... :cheer:

:blowkiss: You speak for many of us MM.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EnvyofAngels