IN IN - Fort Wayne, 'Mary Jane Doe' WhtFem UP16000, 20-25, in basement, May'92 - Tabetha Ann Murlin

@Caring1 Hey could you post the current list of NamUs exclusions for this Jane Doe? I would greatly appreciate it.

FORT WAYNE, Ind. (WANE) — The nameless woman was found 31 years ago wrapped in a moving blanket and floating in a flooded basement in a Reynolds Street home.

Pregnant, white, between 20 to 25 years of age, her case went into the voluminous file of missing persons until recently, when Deputy Coroner Christopher Meihls forged a relationship with licensed forensic genetic genealogist, Lisa Needler.

I had not heard of IGGnite DNA before. This is a women-owned small business based out of CT. Looking forward to seeing more of their work. The business of FGG is certainly growing. Good for them.

FORT WAYNE, Ind. (WPTA) - 21Alive News has confirmed the identity of a woman found dead in a Fort Wayne basement in 1992.

Tabetha Ann Murlin, who was about 26 weeks pregnant at the time of her death, was found dead in the basement of 3512 Reynolds St. on May 15, 1992. Known as Mary Jane Doe for nearly the last 32 years, she was found wrapped in a blanket in a basement that was flooded with about six to eight inches of water.

A family member of Murlin’s confirmed her identity with 21Alive News Wednesday evening.

It's interesting that she separated from her husband in 1989 and he has spoken with police and appears to be a witness, not a suspect. Her remains were not thought have been there as far back as 1989, so it sounds like she moved on and was in another relationship.

Hopefully her family (or maybe even her estranged husband) might have some idea of who she was dating closer to the time of her death, as it sounds like whoever that was would probably be a suspect or of interest to LE as it's suspicious she was pregnant and then found dead. Yes, it could have been anyone who killed her without knowing more about the circumstances..but. I wonder if they ever tried to get DNA from the fetal remains as she was 6 months pregnant at the time of her death. That would reveal the father, who may or may not have more knowledge of how she ended up dead in a flooded basement.

It's interesting that she separated from her husband in 1989 and he has spoken with police and appears to be a witness, not a suspect. Her remains were not thought have been there as far back as 1989, so it sounds like she moved on and was in another relationship.

Hopefully her family (or maybe even her estranged husband) might have some idea of who she was dating closer to the time of her death, as it sounds like whoever that was would probably be a suspect or of interest to LE as it's suspicious she was pregnant and then found dead. Yes, it could have been anyone who killed her without knowing more about the circumstances..but. I wonder if they ever tried to get DNA from the fetal remains as she was 6 months pregnant at the time of her death. That would reveal the father, who may or may not have more knowledge of how she ended up dead in a flooded basement.

Good point. 26 weeks=roughly 6 months.

Following...

I wonder if they ever tried to get DNA from the fetal remains as she was 6 months pregnant at the time of her death. That would reveal the father, who may or may not have more knowledge of how she ended up dead in a flooded basement.
It should be possible for them to still do this, no? I am reminded of the mind-blowing case of Reyna Marroquín.

Highly recommend the Grave Secrets episode on her.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buffalosleuther
Back