IN - Lauren Spierer, 20, Bloomington, 03 June 2011 - #23

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have to ask.While much has been made about the use of Xanax and her heart condition why is it I can find not one article or info anywhere that says you should not take Xanex if you have long QT syndrome.Am I missing something?

I have to ask.While much has been made about the use of Xanax and her heart condition why is it I can find not one article or info anywhere that says you should not take Xanex if you have long QT syndrome.Am I missing something?

Any type of hard drug use is not advised when you have QT and the problem isn't Xanax, but recreational users often take double, triple, quadruple doses at once mixed with coke and/or alcohol. So, if she had a prescription for the correct dose and used it like doctors advise it may be ok. Downing a triple stack may be more of an issue especially if combined with alcohol and coke use.

First post on this case, but I've been following it since the beginning ...

I'm compelled to discount the involvement of any major DDs. If I thought there were violent DDs ready to pounce if anyone opens their mouth, you couldn't pay me a million dollars to return to Bloomington. I think it says something that all PsOI returned - either stranger abduction (agree with RS that it's unlikely, but still possible), or only a very small number of people are involved and agreed among themselves to return and continue to feign ingorance.

This same apparent lack of fear also make me think that if JW and/or the Smallwood altercation guys are involved, then JR, CR and MB (or just CR and MB) may not know anything and therefore are not afraid. Also, as the mom of a recent college graduate, I can't see allowing my kid to return if I thought there was any sort of retaliation or " keep quiet" danger.

Does this make sense to anyone else?

I think it's entirely possibly for her drink to have been spiked, but I find it unlikely. It just doesn't make sense to me. Typically drinks are spiked b/c the "spiker" is wanting to commit a crime (rape and/or murder). I can only assume that LS spent most of her 30-45 mins with CR. He was reportedly there when they went in together, and also when they left. There simply wasn't much time in between. This leads me to believe that a "spiker" would know she was with a guy - what would give him reason to believe that he could separate LS from CR so that he could carry out his crime? What would make him think that CR would not become suspicious of LS's change in behavior, and remember to whom she was speaking who might have spiked her drink? I just don't know what his motive would be b/c I don't think that he would foresee opportunity. Granted, he could have spiked both drinks, to get CR away from LS but man, that seems like a lot of effort. Why not target any one of the many other young hot blonds in the bar?

It appears to me that LS was as close to being "fine" as any other probably drunk female on campus at that time, on the way to the bar. She had her shoes, purse, phone, keys, and she had CR. 30-45 mins. later, she leaves with no shoes, no phone, CR gets punched, then she loses her purse and keys. Not long afterward, she's missing. That is pretty quick to go from seemingly "normal"/probably mildly or more drunk to completely out of it. That leads me to believe that she probably took a Xanex at the bar, which kicked in shortly before she left, and got her kicked out.

From what I know about drugs on campus, date rape drugs are spiked into drinks but not as commonly as adults tend to believe.

Yes you are. Xanax is not the problem in regards to the long QT syndrome. Cocaine and dehydration are. Alcohol use in excess causes dehydration. But the most dangerous part is cocaine. That's why this combination was dangerous.

First post on this case, but I've been following it since the beginning ...

I'm compelled to discount the involvement of any major DDs. If I thought there were violent DDs ready to pounce if anyone opens their mouth, you couldn't pay me a million dollars to return to Bloomington. I think it says something that all PsOI returned - either stranger abduction (agree with RS that it's unlikely, but still possible), or only a very small number of people are involved and agreed among themselves to return and continue to feign ingorance.

This same apparent lack of fear also make me think that if JW and/or the Smallwood altercation guys are involved, then JR, CR and MB (or just CR and MB) may not know anything and therefore are not afraid. Also, as the mom of a recent college graduate, I can't see allowing my kid to return if I thought there was any sort of retaliation or " keep quiet" danger.

Does this make sense to anyone else?

Thanks for this post. This all makes VERY good sense to me. Initially, I has suspected possible higher-up DD involvement, then discounted that for some reason (and I didn't really have a good reason as to why). These are excellent reasons! I still have considered a "lower level" DD involvement, but more from the sense that she perhaps went over to one's house and ODd there.

I think a death likely resulted from an accident (OD or falling, hitting her head, etc.). I think there was a lot of fear about what to do and probably only 1 or 2 know what happened.

One thing I've thought of recently.....didn't Salzman say that CR would likely return to school but that it was his choice? One of the attorneys said this about his client. Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but I remember at the time "reading between the lines" that he was saying, "I've advised my client to return to school but he has to make a decision." That struck me as different from an attorney who might say, "My client wants to return to school."

<snipped> ...

I think a death likely resulted from an accident (OD or falling, hitting her head, etc.). I think there was a lot of fear about what to do and probably only 1 or 2 know what happened.

One thing I've thought of recently.....didn't Salzman say that CR would likely return to school but that it was his choice? One of the attorneys said this about his client. Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but I remember at the time "reading between the lines" that he was saying, "I've advised my client to return to school but he has to make a decision." That struck me as different from an attorney who might say, "My client wants to return to school."

I agree completely that if it wasn't a stranger abduction, it was almost assuredly an accident ... or, the result of a scuffle if someone she knew tried to help her home and she didn't want to go with that person. Something like that would probably be considered some sort of negligent homicide, right?

Good point about the attorney's comments. I agree with your "between the lines" interpretation.

College-age people (as well as others) have been intoxicating themselves since the world began...that won't end anytime soon. There was an 18-year girl at a Florida college who died a few weeks ago, seemingly of alcohol poisoning. She made it back to her bed, otherwise who knows what might have become of her body...people have been covering up crimes for just as long. In a perfect world, lessons would be learned from such events, but it won't happen anytime soon. 18-year olds going off to college seldom go with the intent of remaning sober for 4 years in order to get the best education they possibly ccluan...JMO

Clu, I get it. First, I actually attended Uni during that time frame you suggest, i.e. "since the world began". (Not) To mention, I am the parent of two current university students. ( NY and PA)

Yet, I am still hoping the youth can bring it down a notch from "foaming at the mouth" and perhaps even alcohol poisoning. And is it too much to ask not to degrade the human body?

I don't mean to be radical. And I didn't suggest these were lessons to be learned but rather lessons to be taught.

So much for learned helplessness. We don't have to be perfect, just better.

didn't Salzman say that CR would likely return to school but that it was his choice? One of the attorneys said this about his client.

I believe that statement was by JW's attorney... this was in an article just before the kids came back to school and there was speculation about who would/would not be back.

I believe that statement was by JW's attorney... this was in an article just before the kids came back to school and there was speculation about who would/would not be back.

Thanks. I tried to search and couldn't find it. MY memory tells me it definitely wasn't JW, but that should not be trusted b/c MY memory is certainly not 25 anymore LOL. I was thinking either CR or JR. The reason I think this is b/c it seemed "suspicious" to me at the time and I have never really been all that suspicious of JW.

Interesting - I could buy Gabby's interpretation, though at the time I heard/read the quote, I took it to mean, "his choice...not the school's (he has not been told to stay away from campus by IU), not the media's, not the on-lookers who are speculating he's involved, not the Spierers'... HIS choice -- because he hasn't done anything wrong."

I am really worried that too much attention is being focused on the POI's and not enough on the fact that it could be a "random" abduction. Please check out the first comment under this news story! It details an attempted abduction if you believe the author. And also please remember that that there was an attempted strangling several blocks north of where Lauren supposedly disappeared and 1 block to the west at 9:30 am in the morning! We hear nothing about the police trying to catch the strangler. I am hoping they are working the case quietly or trying to use police "bait" to catch this person.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_162-20102172-504083.html

The fact that Lauren used her phone is Smallwood at 12:16 am to me doesn't ring any bells by itself, especially when we see footage of her happily on her way to the 5 N apartments, supposedly with DR, after that.

Clu, I get it. First, I actually attended Uni during that time frame you suggest, i.e. "since the world began". (Not) To mention, I am the parent of two current university students. ( NY and PA)

Yet, I am still hoping the youth can bring it down a notch from "foaming at the mouth" and perhaps even alcohol poisoning. And is it too much to ask not to degrade the human body?

I don't mean to be radical. And I didn't suggest these were lessons to be learned but rather lessons to be taught.

So much for learned helplessness. We don't have to be perfect, just better.

I agree with the theory...it just never seems to happen, instead history just keeps repeating itself and if anything, the drugs get stronger and more dangerous.

http://www.heraldtimesonline.com/stories/2011/08/23/news.qp-3438184.sto

"Students are not considered officially enrolled until classes start, IU spokesman George Vlahakis stated in an email Tuesday, but many have already registered for their fall classes — including Spierer’s boyfriend of two years, Jesse Wolff, two of her roommates at Smallwood Plaza, and a few of the young men who had direct contact with Spierer before she disappeared.

<snip>
Wolff is pre-registered, but according to his attorney, the 22-year-old senior from Port Washington, N.Y. could change his mind.

“That’s up to him,” Bloomington attorney Joe Lozano said in a phone interview about of his client’s return to campus. “Even if he was wanting or going to, he could change his mind.”

This is the story I was referring to...

I agree with the theory...it just never seems to happen, instead history just keeps repeating itself and if anything, the drugs get stronger and more dangerous.

Don't I know! And haven't I had sleepless nights. But I can hope, can't I? And there is reason to hope.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fallon