Interview: Trina Bates Clegg, 11 May 2016

The calls are confusing. My understanding regarding Trina's calls to Lemhi County is that she wasn't reporting DeOrr missing but trying to get an update while driving to Leadore. I wish the interview would have been more clear on the 911 call timeline but it's not.

All JMO
ok....the calls to 911 really bug me now more than before.

So if its confirmed that she called her mom even before calling 911 that really bugs me because the mom said she missed several calls already. So if she had missed some calls then why didnt they at the campground call 911 right away and not wait on mom to get back with them before calling 911. Nobody would wait in that situation for a call from someone who may never call them back anytime soon.

For all they knew it could have been many more hours before mom would finally call them back.

And remember the 1st interview with the media and how those 911 calls were so confusing with person driving down road to get signal.

How is that if they were waiting to talk with Mom first?

Something is not adding up about these 911 calls at all.

And let us not forget that we had no less than 3 people at the campground finally calling 911 from what we were told. So did they all decide to wait until mom got ahold of them first?

We heard nothing about waiting to talk to mom during the interview.

It is not making sense to me about the 911 calls and it has bothered me ever since I heard about driving down the road for a signal and yet someone else is already on their own phone talking to 911 with no signal issues from campground when someone else is in a truck.

It doesn't make any sense and here is why.

You have a missing child. Anybody in that situation would look for the child for a short little while and then immediately get on the phone to 911. IMMEDIATELY or very shortly after you cant find person.

You would NOT wait to get a call back from someone you tried to call and left a message and there is no telling when they would call you back. You would NOT have 3 people all calling 911 from 3 different phones. And really there is now a 4th person who also called 911 on the way up to campground.

Something doesnt sound right to me at all about how all those 911 calls went down.
It bugs me more now more than ever.
It definitely makes dad going down the road for better service more suspect. They already knew JM'S phone got service just fine, she had made multiple calls to her mother.

It definitely makes dad going down the road for better service more suspect. They already knew JM'S phone got service just fine, she had made multiple calls to her mother.
That is a great point that should be brought up at trial, if it ever comes to that. Damning IMO.

I re-read the summary on page one of this thread. It states JM called her mother before calling 911 but it doesn't say they spoke. In fact it states Trina finally got through after many tries. So maybe the timeline isn't different than previously known

One thing that doesn't add up, even if they didn't speak, is that the calls went through. It was a cell phone that JM was calling TBC on. Those don't just ring and ring indefinitely. They go to voicemail. I have made cell calls from several different providers up in these very mountains- some go through. But when they don't the phone never dials out. The phone just sits on the dial out screen trying to call out before it will say call failed or some other message, depending on the phone. If she was able to get several calls out that rang, she would have known they had service. The story of VDK driving like a mad man to get cell service is bunk. The whole situation stinks to high heaven.

One thing that doesn't add up, even if they didn't speak, is that the calls went through. It was a cell phone that JM was calling TBC on. Those don't just ring and ring indefinitely. They go to voicemail. I have made cell calls from several different providers up in these very mountains- some go through. But when they don't the phone never dials out. The phone just sits on the dial out screen trying to call out before it will say call failed or some other message, depending on the phone. If she was able to get several calls out that rang, she would have known they had service. The story of VDK driving like a mad man to get cell service is bunk. The whole situation stinks to high heaven.

They could have different providers. I used to camp in an area similar to Timber Creek, just a little further east, and most of the time I was the only one to have cell service. I had a different provider than the others.

We don't know that EVERY call she made to Trina went through, just some. We don't know that JM was able to complete every call she made. We only know she was able to get at least one (or a few) calls to Trina and one to 911. VDK driving down the road to get a signal isn't a red flag at all.

If you were in an emergency situation, and you state in your post you've been in those mountains with uncertain cell service, wouldn't you want everyone with you to do whatever possible to get a call for help? Even if it meant "hauling" down the road? Wouldn't you want to talk to your mom, dad, husband, wife, sister, brother, or whoever it is in your life you need? I have adult children, all living on their own with families of their own and when something bad happens in their lives I, their mom, is one of the first calls they make.

They could have different providers. I used to camp in an area similar to Timber Creek, just a little further east, and most of the time I was the only one to have cell service. I had a different provider than the others.

We don't know that EVERY call she made to Trina went through, just some. We don't know that JM was able to complete every call she made. We only know she was able to get at least one (or a few) calls to Trina and one to 911. VDK driving down the road to get a signal isn't a red flag at all.

If you were in an emergency situation, and you state in your post you've been in those mountains with uncertain cell service, wouldn't you want everyone with you to do whatever possible to get a call for help? Even if it meant "hauling" down the road? Wouldn't you want to talk to your mom, dad, husband, wife, sister, brother, or whoever it is in your life you need? I have adult children, all living on their own with families of their own and when something bad happens in their lives I, their mom, is one of the first calls they make.

I might have done all of that. But I would have done it as soon as we had cleared the immediate camp and roads without finding my kid. I also would ensure whoever was driving was not hauling anywhere, in case my missing child decided to pop out of the bushes and get run down. We have to remember, JM was very calm on that phone call. She might have been panicked, but she wasn't running around incoherent, totally out of touch with reality. She sounded capable of reasonable action & gave logical information to the 911 operator.
In my mind the non-hysterical, reasonable thing to do when a 2 year old goes missing is to get as much help as quickly as possible. Waiting around, looking, tying to call mom for advice, that is all stuff you do when the kid has a fever. Not missing in the mountains near a creek, a large body of water, unaccounted for potential strangers, and wild animals. I just can't get past the 4 adults not getting more help as soon as it was obvious he was really missing. The explanations for who called when and why are fishy.

I might have done all of that. But I would have done it as soon as we had cleared the immediate camp and roads without finding my kid. I also would ensure whoever was driving was not hauling anywhere, in case my missing child decided to pop out of the bushes and get run down. We have to remember, JM was very calm on that phone call. She might have been panicked, but she wasn't running around incoherent, totally out of touch with reality. She sounded capable of reasonable action & gave logical information to the 911 operator.
In my mind the non-hysterical, reasonable thing to do when a 2 year old goes missing is to get as much help as quickly as possible. Waiting around, looking, tying to call mom for advice, that is all stuff you do when the kid has a fever. Not missing in the mountains near a creek, a large body of water, unaccounted for potential strangers, and wild animals. I just can't get past the 4 adults not getting more help as soon as it was obvious he was really missing. The explanations for who called when and why are fishy.

Just because that is what YOU would do doesn't make what they did wrong, just different. We can all have perfect hindsight and it's really easy for a lot of people to armchair their actions after the fact or assign their personal attributes to these folks but the fact remains you don't know exactly how things went down on the mountain that afternoon. None of us know, just the involved parties know how it went down.

The FCC's basic 911 rules require wireless service providers to transmit all 911 calls to a PSAP, regardless of whether the caller subscribes to the provider's service or not.
https://www.fcc.gov/consumers/guides/911-wireless-services

The idea that JM/VDK/GGP had different wireless providers, and therefore different abilities to call 911, looks to me like a very easily refutable point.

The FCC's basic 911 rules require wireless service providers to transmit all 911 calls to a PSAP, regardless of whether the caller subscribes to the provider's service or not.
https://www.fcc.gov/consumers/guides/911-wireless-services

The idea that JM/VDK/GGP had different wireless providers, and therefore different abilities to call 911, looks to me like a very easily refutable point.

And they would have known this how? My point is so many people want to take these tiny little details without the context they belong in and then use it to "prove" JM & VDK guilty. The fact remains no one knows what happened that day except the four of them on that mountain.

Until LE releases the facts of this case we just don't know. How hard is that to accept? I want that child found as much as anyone and I pray that when he is there is a clear indication of what happened to him. Until that time I am not going to play armchair detective and post on the internet what I "know" to be truth. I'm giving this family the benefit of doubt they deserve.

If they did something to harm DeOrr, then they should be held accountable, but LE calling them suspects at this point isn't enough for to light the match to burn them at the stake.

Did JM just call her mom before she called 911, or did she wait to actually speak to her mom before calling 911?

Did JM just call her mom before she called 911, or did she wait to actually speak to her mom before calling 911?

I don't believe Trina's interview was clear on that. I can't watch it here from home as my internet is so slow. One of the benefits of country living.

I do think it's important to point out that many people do not know that their 911 call might/can go through even if they have no service.

A couple of posts have been removed. Remember, we are here to discuss the interview itself, not to bash the parents.

Other threads are locked due to parent bashing, so post accordingly. If you just can't post without the bashing, the consequences will be either Time Outs or possible closure of the thread.

Hmm why is it muted when the reporter asks the grandma if she has any reason to believe her daughter would lie to police and about the dad...11mins in.

Hmm why is it muted when the reporter asks the grandma if she has any reason to believe her daughter would lie to police and about the dad...11mins in.

Just re-listened and heard NO muting.

All JMO
ok....the calls to 911 really bug me now more than before.

So if its confirmed that she called her mom even before calling 911 that really bugs me because the mom said she missed several calls already. So if she had missed some calls then why didnt they at the campground call 911 right away and not wait on mom to get back with them before calling 911. Nobody would wait in that situation for a call from someone who may never call them back anytime soon.

For all they knew it could have been many more hours before mom would finally call them back.

And remember the 1st interview with the media and how those 911 calls were so confusing with person driving down road to get signal.

How is that if they were waiting to talk with Mom first?

Something is not adding up about these 911 calls at all.

And let us not forget that we had no less than 3 people at the campground finally calling 911 from what we were told. So did they all decide to wait until mom got ahold of them first?

We heard nothing about waiting to talk to mom during the interview.

It is not making sense to me about the 911 calls and it has bothered me ever since I heard about driving down the road for a signal and yet someone else is already on their own phone talking to 911 with no signal issues from campground when someone else is in a truck.

It doesn't make any sense and here is why.

You have a missing child. Anybody in that situation would look for JMsthe child for a short little while and then immediately get the phone to 911. IMMEDIATELY or very shortly after you cantlfindlperson.
You would NOT wait to get a call back from someone you tried to call and left a message and there is no telling when they would call you back. You would NOT have 3 people all calling 911 from 3 different phones. And really there is now a 4th person who also called 911 on the way up to campground.

Something doesnt sound right to me at all about how all those 911 calls went down.
It bugs me more now more than ever.
I'm sure this has been discussed, but it just occured; me, if JMs phone worked to call her mom,wh would he need to go look for service?

Stay: I'm way behind and should have caught up before posting as

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Linnymac68$