Italy pre-emptively removes children from Mafia families to break cycle

Cryptic

Reaction score
Wow, I can understand the desire to break multi generational cycles of crime. We have a similar problem in the US with passed down membership in gangs.

But.... pre-emptively taking children away from parents? This seems to go against fundamental democratic principals. Likewise, judges, prosecutors and social workers can never act with their own agendas-right?

As a side note, both the Nazis and the Communists routinely used this tool against families they viewed as "threats". Though this is not the present Italian goal, pre-emptive removal of children based on what they "might" do is a slippery slope.

Hoping that such a program is never initiated anywhere in the US:

Last edited:
I should hope that they also undertake action to deal with the generational poverty and societal neglect that leads to the formation of gangs, societies of crime, mafia, etc. if they are going to do something this extreme.

well I was at first shocked but then I read this ...

"There are children being taught to shoot at eight years old. There are children dealing crack at eight years old," said Chiara Colosimo, head of the Italian parliament's anti-mafia commission.

So they are punishing parents/kids before they commit the crime, that's a little backwards,

I mean, if you're breaking the law via organized crime, there is a case to be made that you may be an unfit parent.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back