Found Deceased Mexico - Jake & Callum Robinson,Jack Carter Rhoad 30’s, Australian, & Friend, surfing trip in the Baja California, 28 April 2024

Unbelievable. All for a car :(

I'm wondering if the perps were badly injured. I hope so. The blood and tooth found could have been theirs.

And the poor ranch owner. No one thought to search his property?

So assuming this is indeed what happened, the perpetrators tried to steal the ute but ended up burning it and leaving it anyway? Such senseless killings… Seriously, senseless through and through.
Yes, this burning of vehicles is totally a thing with young criminals, across the border too. I suppose it's because the vehicle contains evidence like blood and their fingerprints, they have nowhere to hide it, they think it will make their problem go away...?

Let me get this straight.

The trio plus a ranch owner were found down in a well on the rancher's property, and not down a cliff by the beach.
The trio were camping on the beach when accosted.
So the perps killed the trio there where they were camping, took the vehicle, with the bodies ?, and put them down the well on a rancher's property ?
The beach is not owned by the rancher as part of the property, right? Or is it? And there's presumably no well on the beach.
Then the vehicle was also eventually found burned on that rancher's property. How far from where they were camping and accosted is the well and the rancher's property?

Earlier it was stated they were found at the bottom of a cliff, so I assumed it was in that vicinity that they were camping, with the vehicle possibly parked above the cliff. So that's not accurate ?

The trio plus a ranch owner were found down in a well on the rancher's property, and not down a cliff by the beach.
So the perps killed the trio there where they were camping, took the vehicle, with the bodies ?, and put them down the well on a rancher's property ?
The beach is not owned by the rancher as part of the property, right? Or is it? And there's presumably no well on the beach.
Then the vehicle was also eventually found burned on that rancher's property. How far from where they were camping and accosted is the well and the rancher's property?

Earlier it was stated they were found at the bottom of a cliff, so I assumed it was in that vicinity that they were camping, with the vehicle possibly parked above the cliff. So that's not accurate ?

Authorities used a pulley system to hoist what appeared to be lifeless bodies covered in mud from a shaft on a cliff high above the Pacific, according to AFP journalists on the scene.

It sounds like the well and cliff are in the same location.

Picture of the arrested woman in the video here.
The video also shows activity near a cliff so I am assuming that the well is there, and this cliff area indeed is part of the rancher's property.

Picture of the arrested woman in the video here.
The video also shows activity near a cliff so I am assuming that the well is there, and this cliff area indeed is part of the rancher's property.

This article has photos of the two men who were arrested.
DM partially obscured their faces.

What I can discern, is it happened at a place called La Bocana, a very remote area SW of Ensanada.

20240504_111700.jpg

Here is close up map:

Screenshot_20240504-110849_Maps.jpg

So, there is long sandy spit across the river where they'd probably surf, with a little village at the north end. However, it appears on the map that access to the beach is from the road on the south end.

South of the beach is all miles and miles of uninhabited land, looks like one crop field, but it's very hilly, so probably only suitable for grazing. I think whatever happened, must have happened at that south end.

It looks like the land rises to cliffs in many places around there, so that's probably where the cliff rumour came from.

We don't know.what happened in the case of the missing rancher: presumably he'd been visiting his land when killed by the perps.

An article (I believe the one above), mentioned an abandoned house on his land, where perhaps the meth heads were squatting. But we don't know how large that particular property was. It was at the end of a dead end road.

IMO, it's possible that, for eg, the search for the surfers involved the FBI tracking phone pings, using drones, or interrogating the woman with the phone, which was much more sophisticated than the local resources available to search for the rancher.

I don't know when it would be prime surfing season at that spot. Certainly, it was well known through the surfer grapevine and visited regularly, though not in crowds, of course. I think surfers avoid crowds.

JMO

Last edited:
Unbelievable. All for a car :(

I'm wondering if the perps were badly injured. I hope so. The blood and tooth found could have been theirs.

And the poor ranch owner. No one thought to search his property?
BBM
Happens in US big cities quite routinely. A lot of murders happen with car jacking. What's crazy here is that the perps then set their truck on fire so it was all for nothing.

Which drug cartels operate in Ensenada? Where three foreign tourists were assasinated.

(..)

According to statements made by Debra Robinson, Callum and Jake’s mother, the three young men arrived at Puerto Faro San José, belonging to the San Quintín, Baja California municipality on 26 April.

Reports indicate that the three spent the night somewhere close to San José and Ensenada in camping tents. Their plan was to move onto Rosarito, a city where they had booked an Airbnb to continue their trip. However communication was lost on 17th April.

(…)

During the morning of 3rd May three bodies were found, located at a depth of over 15 metres in a well in La Bocana, Ensenada.

(..)

This raises the doubt about which drug cartels operate in the área? And is it possible that one of them is behind this crime?

CJNG, CAF and Cártel de Sinaloa

Although the State Public Prosecutor, María Elena Andrade Ramírez, has revealed that the main line of investigation would tend to indicate that this was a circumstantial crime – the result of unforeseen circumstances or situations arising at a given moment – she emphasises the presence of three drug cartels in the área.

Firstly, Cártel Arrellano Félix (CAF), also known as Cártel de Tijuana. This is a criminal organisation established in BC since the 1980s.

(..)

In February 2024, the publication Semanario Zeta revealed that drug trafficking activities, led by this criminal group, was the main cause of armed assaults in Ensenada during the first weeks of the year.

In addition, various news reports state that Cártel de Sinaloa also operates in Ensenada and other BC cities.

According to revelations made by a hitman belonging to the movement of Ismael ‘El Mayo’ Zambada, in February this criminal group demand has demanded financial contributions from businessmen, fishermen, traders and pharmacies in the área.

(…)

IMO and in my experience living in Colombia, it is far more difficult to police small insurgent groups, which should probably not be called cartels, but more likely are petty criminal groups, dealing in drugs, maybe have their meths labs, maybe try to sell, rob, whatever, but if you cross them you are in big trouble. Just because you came across them.

Lets face it, they could have stolen the vehicle and had it re-sprayed, changed the number Plate, etc. They were stupid enough to keep the phone, whereby they were quickly traced thanks to FBI involvement.

Obviously and hopefully more will come out. Interested also as to why the rancher, owner of the property was killed.

Also, seems to me that someone would have given permission for these guys to pitch their tents, possibly provide them with food?

Also, seems to me that someone would have given permission for these guys to pitch their tents, possibly provide them with food?
RSBM

"Mexican beaches are constitutionally and legally public, so there must be access roads so that any national or foreign visitor who wishes to enjoy them can do so,”

Camping, of course, usually involves bringing your own food. I don't think the plan was to stay long and do elaborate meals, probably a few powerbars to tide them over, maybe soak some ramen noodles. Surfers aren't 5 star travellers...

JMO

Three people that shouldn’t have been taken. Looking at their socials, what great humans these guys are.

This is going to hit home quite hard. Parents life now destroyed for the remainder of their lives. Australia will always stand with them.

These lads appeared to have lived a great life. Wish I could turn back time and undo this.

IMO and in my experience living in Colombia, it is far more difficult to police small insurgent groups, which should probably not be called cartels, but more likely are petty criminal groups, dealing in drugs, maybe have their meths labs, maybe try to sell, rob, whatever, but if you cross them you are in big trouble. Just because you came across them.

Lets face it, they could have stolen the vehicle and had it re-sprayed, changed the number Plate, etc. They were stupid enough to keep the phone, whereby they were quickly traced thanks to FBI involvement.

Obviously and hopefully more will come out. Interested also as to why the rancher, owner of the property was killed.

Possibly the rancher caught sight of the criminals' activities ?
That would seem the only reason the killers targeted him.
If the rancher had given permission for the trio to camp there, it's doubly sad as he may have only tried to be hospitable.
Omo.

I'm interested in this too. Why did nobody search the well when the poor guy went missing? Do the authorities only act when it's an international victim? It's just horrendous that a 4th body was found by accident. I mean, WTF?

My opinion of this unbelievable tragedy is that while there is discussion of ‘common sense’ while travelling to potentially unsafe countries (even with travelling with a friend who lives in the US and would be familiar with Mexico presumably) I think unfortunately things can happen to people who are in the wrong place at the wrong time. It is going to be Earth-shattering for the poor parents. Unfortunately personality doesn’t matter to someone who has evil intentions. Horrible situation.

Local San Diego surfers from California respond, look like this may impact some tourism but not all. (Toward the 2:15 mark)

"I've been going my whole life, & imma keep going"
"I wouldn't be worried to go into the Baja"
"I've never felt threatened or in danger there so...this is really shocking and horrible news" (but has a trip planned for July in the same area where the men were found.)

May the families bring their loved ones home for a proper burial. As for justice.... time will tell. I don't think we can put US standards on their law enforcement. Things have changed and so many random stories of kidnapping these days, I haven't been back.

(We used to walk over the border with no passport back in the day!)- I don't know if college kids cross the border on weekends to get drunk on Av. Revolucion these days?

What I can discern, is it happened at a place called La Bocana, a very remote area SW of Ensanada.

View attachment 501382

Here is close up map:

View attachment 501383

So, there is long sandy spit across the river where they'd probably surf, with a little village at the north end. However, it appears on the map that access to the beach is from the road on the south end.

South of the beach is all miles and miles of uninhabited land, looks like one crop field, but it's very hilly, so probably only suitable for grazing. I think whatever happened, must have happened at that south end.

It looks like the land rises to cliffs in many places around there, so that's probably where the cliff rumour came from.

We don't know.what happened in the case of the missing rancher: presumably he'd been visiting his land when killed by the perps.

An article (I believe the one above), mentioned an abandoned house on his land, where perhaps the meth heads were squatting. But we don't know how large that particular property was. It was at the end of a dead end road.

IMO, it's possible that, for eg, the search for the surfers involved the FBI tracking phone pings, using drones, or interrogating the woman with the phone, which was much more sophisticated than the local resources available to search for the rancher.

I don't know when it would be prime surfing season at that spot. Certainly, it was well known through the surfer grapevine and visited regularly, though not in crowds, of course. I think surfers avoid crowds.

JMO
Correcting my own post, San Diego news reports they were camping several miles south of Bocana at Punta San Jose lighthouse. So, even more remote, no village nearby.

20240504_182646.jpg

Last edited:

Taking over a ranch/home by force does happen. In one of my ancestral hometowns in Mexico, some bandits or cartel members took over a ranch, forcing families whose ancestors lived there for hundreds of year to leave. Fighting them would be fruitless-- most of those residents would not be as well armed as the criminals. In my family, my grandmother owned a beach house in Rosarito, and it was under the care of a cousin. The cartel took it over, and my cousin's son went to the house to kick them out. They killed him. It was a truly sad story.

Another thing to keep in mind is that foreigners can't take guns into Mexico without special permission, so the young men were likely unarmed and vulnerable. The more remote a location, too, the less likely there will be law enforcement to come to your aid quickly, if at all. The California license plates on the cars are also a target.

I am so sad for this outcome, which is what I feared the first time I heard the story. I had hoped they were being held for ransom, but no. My thoughts are with their families.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PRJ
Back