JLM: 2002 Rape Allegations at Liberty University

Here is my opinion. Jackie is as culpable as the RS. She went to them (or answered a "call for rape stories on college campuses") and she gave them a whopper of a tale. Was some of it true? maybe All of it? I don't think so. RS is a dying publication, UVa is one of the most prominent universities in the country. Jackie got excited that this story was going to get full-on press, she added on and embellished. RS probably knew it but hey, the more sordid "details" the better the story. Jackie may be a rape victim here, but if she lied to the media about this supposed attack, she is discredited, probably can be prosecuted and certainly has set back the reporting of any future sexual assault victims as she has made a mockery of herself in the pubic eye. RS is beyond pathetic for not fact-checking and confirming this story. Jackie is beyond pathetic for making it up. She is an adult and in my mind, the culpability and damage that has been caused can be shared equally between "Jackie", the writer and the editor.

A false accusation of rape is the intentional reporting of a rape by an alleged victim when no rape has occurred. Studies have found that police typically classify between 1.5 and 8% of rape accusations as unfounded, unproven or false, however researchers say those determinations are often dubious. The "conventional scholarly wisdom," according to American law professor Michelle J. Anderson, is that two percent of rape complaints made to the police are false. The United States Justice Department agrees, saying false accusations "are estimated to occur at the low rate of two percent -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/False_accusation_of_rape

Here's the infuriating thing about the Rolling Stone article: The Rolling Stone article was not simply about the one alleged incident. In fact, the overall tone of the article was supposed to address inaction by UVA in regards to rape on campus. Unfortunately, the author chose to focus on what she felt was the most sensational allegation for notoriety and page views and then completely destroyed her own credibility, and that of her article, by not doing the most rudimentary of fact checking. Now we're talking about one questionable allegation instead of the overall issue that should be addressed.

Whether one finds themselves believing any of the allegation put forth by "Jackie" or not, the meat of that article is irrefutable. Colleges, and I would say society in general, do not do enough to investigate sexual assaults. Even if "Jackie's" allegation was pure fabrication, UVA and LE had a duty to investigate the claim. Instead, as is so often the case, it was dismissed and swept under the rug.

Would those of us who have followed Hannah's case even be here if Liberty University or CNU had bothered to do their due diligence when it came to the accusations of sexual assault leveled against JM? Even if the two schools would have ethically and effectively communicated amongst themselves enough to share that JM had faced a disciplinary action we might not be here today. Hannah might still be here, on earth, with her loving family for the holidays.

The Rolling Stone article was a travesty due to lack of journalistic integrity and I can only hope that current and future sexual assault victims don't have to suffer for it.
As far as this specific fraternity is concerned, this isn't the first time they've made this sort of splash. They faced the same accusation in 1984 and incurred zero penalty. In that case, it took the survivor 20 long years to receive even a pittance of justice. So, while I cringe at any individual or group being falsely accused, I have zero sympathy for any blow back the institution that is this fraternity gets.

I have included a link to the survivor's stance on this in her own words. She is a survivor and deserves to be heard.
http://time.com/3619173/uva-rape-survivor-doubt-victim-story/

Hannah's case may have nothing to do with this fraternity, or any for that matter. But Hannah still became a victim of the institutional failure that should have been the crux of that Rolling Stone article. In Hannah's case, Liberty failed. CNU failed. The system that sexual assault victims must report to continues to fail. We need to actually follow through and investigate victims claims fully, regardless of outcome. This isn't one sided, if a false allegation is made that needs to be addressed as well. But it's no longer enough to tell our girls to protect themselves from boogey men if we're not willing to take action against them.

I'm very sorry this was so lengthy and preachy, this just has me utterly rattled and has since the allegations at Liberty and CNU came out against JM. The latest debacle with the Rolling Stone article just compounded that. This is all MOO and thank you for letting me share.

I could have written your post, Sassyfras. I've had those same thoughts in my head the last few days. Thank you.

Numerous studies on the subject of false allegation of rape suggest a false report rate of between 2 and 20%. I would guess that the rate is on the lower end of that scale when it is an incident involving a stranger and is immediately reported, and on the higher end of that scale when it is alleged well after the fact and in private. The Rolling Stone story would fall into the later category, so it should not be surprising that it appears to be false since there is a reasonably good probability that any such story is fabricated or embellished.

That is the problem with these sorts of stories. While there is no doubt that rape is common, what most people don't understand is that false claims are common as well. In the absence of anything else, how can you tell the difference between what is factual and what is fiction? That is why you can't just accept an allegation, it has to be investigated thoroughly and corroborated, or you risk doing something just as bad as rape itself (arguably even worse).

Wow, a 2 and 20% is pretty, pretty, boy dang low. Not impressive to me considering what it takes to prove one.

Court records: 3 UVa graduates sue Rolling Stone, author over retracted campus rape article

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/07/2...thor-over-retracted-campus/?intcmp=latestnews

Three University of Virginia graduates and members of a fraternity who were portrayed in a debunked account of a gang rape in a retracted Rolling Stone magazine story filed a lawsuit against the publication and the article's author, court records show.

Will Dana, Rolling Stone managing editor, leaving magazine in aftermath of retracted rape story

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/07/3...-over-retracted-rape-story/?intcmp=latestnews

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back