Laura Babcock Murder Trial 12.05.17 - Closing Arguments - Day 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just a quick note to point out that because Millard chose not to testify, as is his right, he could not offer new evidence and explanations for things in his closing. He could not suggest what was in the tarp, for example. He could only try to raise doubt about what the prosecution claims is in the tarp through things like the fact that he didn't go to the farm first, would have had to switch vehicles etc.

Just a quick note to point out that because Millard chose not to testify, as is his right, he could not offer new evidence and explanations for things in his closing. He could not suggest what was in the tarp, for example. He could only try to raise doubt about what the prosecution claims is in the tarp through things like the fact that he didn't go to the farm first, would have had to switch vehicles etc.
Thank you for this critical information.
I was ignorant of those facts.
Personally, if I was innocent of these accusations, and my life in the bin was at stake, I'd be certain the truth was told on the stand.
Again, I didn't know DM couldn't offer suggestions regarding the info I posted. ::crawling back under a rock::
Thank you [emoji3]

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

It if it was suggested by the crown that it was LB in the tarp or just mentioned by crown, doesn’t that make it so he could elaborate more on the tarp during closing? Wait, he did suggest that it could be a rug did he not?

Is the closing not supposed to be their testimony without taking the Stand?

I'm back in court today for the Laura Babcock murder trial. You can follow along for updates.
by Adam Carter 9:43 AM

Today Mark Smich's lawyer Thomas Dungey will give his closing address to the jury.
by Adam Carter 9:45 AM

Thanks to all that have been and can help with the tweets. :)

I get that, but if he were innocent, why wouldn't he testify and explain every single piece or evidence as innocent person should be able to? The right not to testify is there for people like Smich, the case against being weak but there was obviously some involvement. It makes sense that he would stay quite. Millard on the other hand has nothing to lose, he is going to be found guilty. The fact that he did not defend himself is a clear indication to everybody, including the jury, that he is guilty.

Thank you Kamille and meterclicks for posting the tweets and blog posts yesterday. I was following along reading but had nothing to add to the many comments made.

One thing I would like to express today regarding the various assessments of DM's skills as a lawyer, is that it all bothers me so much that anyone cares about his skills or lack thereof. It's not like this trial is a tv show and DM is the leading man. This trial is about real life and death and the harshest and cruelest reality for the victim, LB and for her loved ones left to grapple with the complexities and consequences of DM and MS's crime as they grieve for their beloved daughter.

DM is already a convicted killer and I have no time or inclination to critique his offensive performance at court. I believe that the law should be changed to exclude the right for convicts to self-represent in a murder trial. Wishful thinking perhaps, but it truly offends me to think that LB's family had to endure DM in person as he seemingly without conscience or care cross examined LB's own father, and as DM - the alleged murderer of their precious daughter - without a hint of humanity or intelligence, continued to further hurt and insult LB and her parents.

I look forward to hearing TD's closing today. While I have a lot of respect for him as a lawyer, I do think MS is guilty of M1 and I don't think TD will be able to convince the jury that a M1 conviction for MS is not justified in this case. It is my opinion that DM and MS found in one another the perfect criminal companion. Each used the other in their own way and were concerned only with themselves and what they could do and get away with no matter the cost to others. IMO, their aims and their actions included murder.

All MOO.

It if it was suggested by the crown that it was LB in the tarp or just mentioned by crown, doesn’t that make it so he could elaborate more on the tarp during closing? Wait, he did suggest that it could be a rug did he not?

imho, it can not be a testimony, only suggestions or opinion for jury to consider. I don't recall that the Crown claimed that the blue tarp had a body inside. In closing they probably will suggest that it had a body inside.

Thanks...yes, my wording could have been better! He can can suggest other general possibilities, likely on a limited basis, but he doesn't have a new chance in closing to say "That was my blue oriental rug that Pedo peed on on July 3rd after he got drunk on beer Mark Smich gave him." Or something. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500