Marfan's and other syndromes

New poster here! Hope I do this properly. :)

I have EDS so I learned quite a bit about Marfans while getting diagnosed. FLEK looks much too broad-boned to have Marfans...usually they have a very distinctive gaunt look. EDS is possible, but I'd think we'd have medical history showing frequent dislocations or pain. Also, EDS doesn't explain her height or large hands; unlike Marfans most types of EDS are unconnected to size (the one type of EDS that causes major heart problems is in fact connected to smaller stature).

I agree she looks unusual though. I did think of acromegaly because of the seemingly thickening bone structure in mid-life, and the increased spacing between the teeth, but we definitely would have learned about that post-mortem.

When you hear hoofbeats, don't think zebras. She's tall, with long limbs.

If it were based on that alone, my entire family would have Marfan's syndrome---but we don't; we're just Dutch.

I am a 6ft tall woman, and I dont have any genetic diseases- I do, however, have tall parents. My dad is 6'5 and my mother is 5'11. My hands are larger than smaller peoples- but in perfect proportion to my frame.

I live in Longview, so I heard about this case on the news quite a bit when it happened.

I'm not sure about Marfan's, but it really looks like she might have had vascular Ehlers-Danlos syndrome. The nose, especially. Of course, this is all speculation and I'm not sure it matters much anyway. I have Ehlers-Danlos as well (but a different type) and this was the first thing I thought of when I saw her pictures.

One other syndrome I found while research was Fumarase deficiency. It presents mainly in polygamist sects and has a lot of overlap with her symptoms, though they can get much more severe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also, my Mom (a mystery and crime buff like me) was a vascular tech for 20+ years. She encountered a lot of Marfan patients over her time and says that FLEK does not appear to her to have Marfans.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back