MI MI - Michael Larson, 19, Porcupine Mtns, 22 April 1968

HopeRains

My name is Lisa Coburn Kesler.
Reaction score
I wasn't able to find a thread - if there is one, please merge. Case is also not on Namus that I can find.

1667784941397.png
The high school graduation photo of Michael Larson, taken about two years before his disappearance.Provided by Michigan Department of Natural Resources

Unsolved: Wisconsin college student went missing in Porcupine Mountains 54 years ago
  • Updated: Nov. 04, 2022, 12:34 p.m.|
  • Published: Nov. 04, 2022, 12:31 p.m
The only unsolved missing persons case in the Porcupine Mountains is a Wisconsin college student who disappeared more than 50 years ago. The most recent search for his remains was this past summer.

Around 10:30 a.m. on April 22, 1968, 19-year-old Michael Larson, of Madison, Wis., told his mother he was going out for a haircut, according to a news feature released this week by the Michigan Department of Natural Resources. No one ever saw him again.

Larson, a student at the University of Wisconsin, drove away in his green, 1962 Volkswagen sedan. He was wearing green trousers and a black sweatshirt. Unbeknownst to anyone at the time, he also took with him a poncho and a map of the Porcupine Mountains Wilderness State Park in Michigan’s Upper Peninsula. He withdrew $650 from his savings account.

Larson’s parents reported him missing two days later, after his abandoned vehicle was discovered by a conservation officer at the Porkies. It was parked on a remote side road at a gravel pit off the South Boundary Road. The license plate was removed, the keys were in the ignition and the gas tank was full.

Larson was described as 6 feet tall, weighing about 170 pounds, with brown hair and blue eyes. He had never been in trouble with the law. His mother told police he was a top student at the University of Wisconsin, and had “no known illness, no enemies, no family or girlfriend problems.” She also described him as an introvert.

He wasn’t an angler or a hunter, but Larson knew how to read maps and use a compass. He liked to go on backpacking trips and had done so in the Porkies with his brother Tom who was 18 when Larson disappeared. Larson was the eldest of four boys: Tom, Glenn, 15 at the time of disappearance, and Dan, 12.

Missing person: Michael Larson

A photo from 1965 shows Michael Larson outside a cabin with squirrels he'd bagged.Provided by Michigan Department of Natural Resources

By November 1968, nothing had been found to indicate Larson’s whereabouts. The Ontonagon County sheriff asked hunters to be on the lookout for clues. Two days into firearm deer season, a hunter found a boot laying in the woods with a human leg bone protruding from it. The leg was attached to a foot still inside the boot. The hunter reported his discovery. A search conducted the next day turned up the matching boot about 50 yards away along with bones that had been chewed on. Bite marks on the boots appeared to have been from a bear.

The University of Michigan Science Department determined the bones belonged to a white male over 17 years of age. No other details could be determined.

The answer to what happened to Michael Larson awaits discovery or is lost to time.

“My brothers think he may have gone up there and committed suicide,” Tom Larson told the DNR. He doesn’t believe it.

Tom Larson hopes hunters heading into the woods this firearm deer season will be on the lookout for bones or other artifacts that could be compared with his DNA for a positive match. The bones collected in 1968 have gone missing.

Missing person: Michael Larson

Brothers Tom and Dan Larson visit the Porcupine Mountains Wilderness State Park in June 2022. (Tom Larson photo)Provided by Tom Larson

During June law enforcement officers and dogs searched the area where the car was found. Tom and Dan Larson also visited the state park in June. In August, officers and cadaver dogs searched the area where the bones were discovered. The efforts found nothing.

The odd thing about this case is why, if you are going off to commit suicide, you withdraw $650 for the trip. $650 in 1968 is equivalent to over $5000 today. To me that suggests some other motive, although it in no way precludes him falling victim to other means - wildlife, crime or simply exposure or accident. The removal of the licence plates also makes me suspect something other than a simple suicide.

What a handsome young man.

Yeah something doesn't quite add up here. I can se no logic in buying a map, withdrawing a huge sum of money and then removing your license plate if you were going to end your life.

Possibility for me is that he wasn't up there alone bit was either forced into it or went willingly for some reason.

Possibility exists he left of his own accord and lived a happy life elsewhere too.

I see a couple of scenarios, the difference being in whether he cleaned out his account or just took $650 from it:
1) He was meeting someone at a particular spot in the park with $650 to buy or put a 'down-payment' on something. Either his hinky meter didn't go off because he knew (or thought he knew) the person, or the meeting spot was public even though the spot the car was later found was not. I suppose he could have been killed just for his license plate by someone on the lam, in 1968 (and probably still) that would get you farther than an APB on the entire car.

2) He took out the $650 to use on himself over a couple of days or give away knowing he was not going to need money soon. He could have mailed it to a pregnant girlfriend, dropped it anonymously at an orphanage, etc etc. But maybe he chose between traveling further away (more $) but decided on the park. Some could be on a gun and he killed himself. If that was the goal, he might very well have just left the keys in the ignition. In this case, the license plate has nothing to do with him, it's just someone found the car, and kept the plate. Or less likely, he took it with him to slow down the ID of himself as the owner.

I see a couple of scenarios, the difference being in whether he cleaned out his account or just took $650 from it:
1) He was meeting someone at a particular spot in the park with $650 to buy or put a 'down-payment' on something. Either his hinky meter didn't go off because he knew (or thought he knew) the person, or the meeting spot was public even though the spot the car was later found was not. I suppose he could have been killed just for his license plate by someone on the lam, in 1968 (and probably still) that would get you farther than an APB on the entire car.

2) He took out the $650 to use on himself over a couple of days or give away knowing he was not going to need money soon. He could have mailed it to a pregnant girlfriend, dropped it anonymously at an orphanage, etc etc. But maybe he chose between traveling further away (more $) but decided on the park. Some could be on a gun and he killed himself. If that was the goal, he might very well have just left the keys in the ignition. In this case, the license plate has nothing to do with him, it's just someone found the car, and kept the plate. Or less likely, he took it with him to slow down the ID of himself as the owner.
Thanks! One thing I need to ask/clarify....could you really be murdered for your license plate?! Absolutely shocked o_O

I suppose I am more drawn to idea number 1 because it involves less people somehow. I imagine that pregnant girlfriends, charities receiving large checks, donations to friends etc might eventually get mentioned. Especially since his brothers have very actively searched all these years.

$650 in 1968, I wonder what that could be a down-payment on?

Of course the blood spots found on the front seat could be worrying too. As you say @DD Byrd someone coukd have taken the license plate after.

The park rangers believe a bear attacked him...I dunno because of the oddities at the scene of the car, but maybe their unrelated too.

The main thing that gets me though; he told his mom he was going to get a haircut. But instead he went hiking. Did anyone ever confirm if he actually got a haircut. More pertinently did anyone confirm if he took his hiking gear. I suppose " green trousers, black jumper and a poncho" might count? Why not mention he was going hiking if that's where he was going?
In the above linked article his dad later stated "I think maybe he was planning a trip to Canada" ...well is it a haircut or is it Canada! Lol

My head's all over the place with this one but I don't believe it's suicide.

I can't believe they lost the leg bones that could have belonged to Michael. DNA coukd solve this and bring him home :(

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back