Missouri, St. Louis - Teenage girl critically injured after brutal fight with another female teen near Hazelwood East High School, 8 March 2024

I agree. My mother had so many sayings....
Two wrongs don't make a right
Don't judge a book by it's cover
It takes two to tango
Actions speak louder than words (one of my favorites while raising my children)
Where there's a will, there's a way
It's better to be safe than sorry! (applicable to this case)
The pen is mightier than the sword
Don't make a mountain out of a mole hill

I'll stop here. My point is that even if things are taught in school, they need to be reinforced in the home. I'm showing my age! ;)
lol, honestly for a minute there I thought you were my sister! lololol

KG was suspended from school the previous day for fighting with another student. She should have been on the radar of the school counselors and resource officers and given the help she needed. Our local school district offers free family counseling sessions.

JMO
Correct. She was. I think it might be possible that those services were offered. I believe the adult guardian would have to accept said counseling. I guess none of us really know for sure if the service was offered or not. One thing is for sure. Per KG’s Dad, she was regularly participating in physical combat with other students. She needed help in a big way. My opinion only

Correct. She was. I think it might be possible that those services were offered. I believe the adult guardian would have to accept said counseling. I guess none of us really know for sure if the service was offered or not. One thing is for sure. Per KG’s Dad, she was regularly participating in physical combat with other students. She needed help in a big way. My opinion only
I so agree with you. I sadly think both KG and MD (as well as their parents) could have benefited from anger management and conflict resolving counseling.
I have to wonder if these programs were even available in their high school or community prior to this incident.
My prayers are for both girls and their families and that KG has a complete recovery.

JMO

Programs Available to MD & KG.
... I sadly think both KG and MD (as well as their parents) could have benefited from anger management and conflict resolving counseling.
I have to wonder if these programs were even available in their high school or community prior to this incident. JMO
snipped for focus @Puzzles8 Thx for your post.
Seems imo, programs along the ^ lines are available, would have been available to these two students. IIUC often prompted by "incidents" but seems these two would already have been on the schools radar, "watch list" or equivalent.

Info below is from the "2023-2024 STUDENT-PARENT HANDBOOK / BEHAVIOR GUIDE."

Page 57: "BEHAVIOR CONTRACT/PLAN OR BEHAVIOR INTERVENTION PLAN
A behavior plan is defined as a document developed by students, parents/legal guardians and staff to provide support for a student to address misbehavior and assist them in better
decision-making."

"CONFLICT MEDIATION (PEER AND/OR ADULT DIRECTED)
Mediation is defined as a meeting between two parties to address an area of concern with the outcome being that each will understand the other’s perspective and make better choices moving forward. This may be facilitated by a staff member or a student peer leader."

Page 59: "REFLECTION ACTIVITY
A reflection activity is an assignment provided by a staff member for a student-designed to have them reflect on their behavior and to think of methods to help them not repeat the behavior."

"RE-TEACH EXPECTATIONS
Re-teaching expectations is defined as teaching building-wide behavioral expectations to a student which have been taught earlier in the school year to reinforce the importance of positive decision-making."

Page 60: "ROLE-PLAY
Role-play is defined as an activity where a staff member helps students to understand a situation in which they were involved in from a different perspective. This may result in the student taking on the role of another student to help them gain a better understanding of the choices that were made."

Page 61: "SOCIAL SKILLS INSTRUCTION
Social skills instruction is defined as a situation where a staff member teaches a student appropriate and expected social behavior."

Page 62: "LIST OF INTERVENTIONS
"Tier 1 Interventions may include, but are not limited to, the following: ....
" - Bullying Prevention
● Restorative Practices
● De-escalation strategies
● Support from the school behavior intevention staff..."
^ among 25 plus factors.
Page 63: "Tier 2 Interventions may include...."
"Tier 3 Interventions may include...."

https://www.hazelwoodschools.org/cm.../385/An Overview of Restorative Practices.pdf

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back