Missouri, St. Louis - Teenage girl critically injured after brutal fight with another female teen near Hazelwood East High School, 8 March 2024

If the accolades are true, I would suggest that maybe she had been harassed for a time; if she accomplished these things, I could not see her having time for much else except maybe an hour or two on her phone before bed.
But at school, words are said, texts, posts, videos, and TikToks are sent, and everyone is interconnected.

And on and on.

Maybe she snapped after being hyped up on Monster, Prime, and Red Bull energy drinks that are advertised to them on social media, as well as peer pressure... online.
If these achievements are actual, then snapping could be the reason, BUT, and it's a big but,
that does not in any way excuse the injuries she inflicted on KG.
I read a very interesting article about 'red mist' and its historical evolution to what it is now in the UK.
(it used to be a legal defence), and its equivalency in the US.

This is all JMO
@Observant-ADHD-ENFP-BSc Thanks for your post discussing possibility of harassment and how it may impact the student's behavior. Had not really tbought about that.

Going to search for info about "Red Mist" & its evolution in UK.
TYVM for expanding my horizons.

In some schools with issues with gangs, fighting, and/or bullying, there is retribution if you don't engage in the violence. IMHO, it is important to remember that these kids (all of them) have to walk into school every day and survive it all. You may or may not find a niche or a crew that has your back. For many kids in rough schools, you do what you need to do in order to get what you want--- be that a college scholarship or just a hs diploma. When there is school dysfunction, many students are affected. Again, JMHO and experience, as I have worked in these types of school settings, including the socio-economic, low performance of school, and rough/dangerous social groupings. Violence deserves to be handled by law enforcement but there are many instances each day that don't rise to that. A powerful person or group can make one's life difficult. Doesn't excuse the actions of this young woman but it is important to note.
@kaen Thank you for posting about gang retribution and rough schools, something I have no experience w.

Another poster (sorry, forgot who, but TY) gave a link to usnews.com analysis* of Hazelwood East, which seems to fit the profile of schools & students your post describes.

Hazelwood East HS
"#13,261-17,680 in National Rankings
Overall Score less than 25"

"ranked 299-455th within Missouri. Students have the opportunity to take Advanced Placement® coursework and exams. The AP® participation rate at Hazelwood East High School is 20%. The total minority enrollment is 99%, and 69% of students are economically disadvantaged."

So sad.
Thank you :) for your valuable input on this post, this thread, and other cases.

• Kaylee Gain's high school has refused to hand over records to the Missouri Attorney General
The state law requires public body records to be open to the public, and that a request cannot be ignored or avoided by the other party.

She (Kaylee) suffered a skull fracture and frontal lobe damage during the brawl that was caught on camera near her high school.
Parenthesis mine.

Why are they protecting this vicious attacker ?
Revolting.
Omo.

Refusal to share records, could show that the school may not have sufficiently maintained records, particularly in situations like this? Perhaps they didn't manage these situations appropriately and effectively and there's a significant lack of records?

moo

I posted this in Shaylee Majia's thread but thought it applied here as well:
These days the fights between students seem particularly violent. So much has changed since I was in high school. Such senseless loss of life.

My grandchildren aren't old enough for school yet but it really worries me what the world will be like when they are in high school.....

Yesterday on BBC Breakfast (uk) there was a segment about school kids being more violent/aggressive and was being linked to worsening since the Covid 19 Pandemic and lockdowns.

imo

Records Request to Hazelwood
Refusal to share records, could show that the school may not have sufficiently maintained records, particularly in situations like this? Perhaps they didn't manage these situations appropriately and effectively and there's a significant lack of records?
moo
@Lyanna
It’s possible that Hazelwood East HS may not have appropriately maintained records re some or all students involved in the incident. I'm not disagreeing w that.

But IIUC BaiIey did not request records re the student “fight.”
He asked, IIUC, for broader records re the district’s school board meeting minutes & similar info, subject to chapter 610, the state’s version of “sunshine act,” i.e., types of records the district must produce on request by the public.

imo
“I am launching an investigation into Hazelwood School District after a student was senselessly assaulted by another student in broad daylight,” Bailey said in a statement. “…. Hazelwood’s radical DEI programs resulted in such despicable safety failures….”*
"Bailey blamed the school district’s diversity, equity and inclusion programming as a cause for the fight,.... He said were it not for the programs, a school resource officer would have been present at the school."

Records Request to Hazelwood

@Lyanna
It’s possible that Hazelwood East HS may not have appropriately maintained records re some or all students involved in the incident. I'm not disagreeing w that.

But IIUC BaiIey did not request records re the student “fight.”
He asked, IIUC, for broader records re the district’s school board meeting minutes & similar info, subject to chapter 610, the state’s version of “sunshine act,” i.e., types of records the district must produce on request by the public.

imo
“I am launching an investigation into Hazelwood School District after a student was senselessly assaulted by another student in broad daylight,” Bailey said in a statement. “…. Hazelwood’s radical DEI programs resulted in such despicable safety failures….”*
"Bailey blamed the school district’s diversity, equity and inclusion programming as a cause for the fight,.... He said were it not for the programs, a school resource officer would have been present at the school."
I am not clear what the AG asked for. But it sounds like the AG office is launching its own investigation so they can just subpoena that information from the school.

Just re-watched the video and I don't think this was an organised fight between the two groups. Watching the assailant after the attack she keeps trying to pull the guy in white pants away from the fighting, during which time it looks like she was hit trying to separate the fighting. Couldn't see it on camera but the aftermath shows her with her head down holding the back of her head like she'd been hit. If this was organised then it doesn't make sense that she tried to stop the fighting. At one point you can hear her shout 'stop'.

As of yesterday, authorities were considering filing assault charges against 8 more kids in this case.

Like I said earlier in this thread, Hazelwood is not a place where people choose to live if they can live someplace better (i.e. safer), and I suspect parents don't send their kids to that school either if they care enough about their kids' education to think about where they go to school. I also have a feeling that much of the staff is from organizations like Teach for America.

It’s the Daily Mail, so take it with a grain of salt, but seemingly good news:

Energy Drinks?
Maybe she snapped after being hyped up on Monster, Prime, and Red Bull energy drinks that are advertised to them on social media,...
snipped for focus @Observant-ADHD-ENFP-BSc
"Maybe she snapped after being hyped up on Monster, Prime, and Red Bull energy drinks that are advertised to them on social media...."

If the students' encounter was not mutually pre-arranged, then okay, it's possible that downing energy drinks may have played some role in "snapping" and causing a participant to become (more) violent during the encounter. Possible.

OTOH if encounter was pre-arranged, well, seems to weaken ^the snapped-after-energy-drinks idea. As usual, ICBWrong.

(A few yrs ago I slurped down a can of Red Bull. Not to my liking, but I should try some others which may provide more oomph than my daily coffee consumption.)

Energy Drinks?

snipped for focus @Observant-ADHD-ENFP-BSc
"Maybe she snapped after being hyped up on Monster, Prime, and Red Bull energy drinks that are advertised to them on social media...."

If the students' encounter was not mutually pre-arranged, then okay, it's possible that downing energy drinks may have played some role in "snapping" and causing a participant to become (more) violent during the encounter. Possible.

OTOH if encounter was pre-arranged, well, seems to weaken ^the snapped-after-energy-drinks idea. As usual, ICBWrong.

(A few yrs ago I slurped down a can of Red Bull. Not to my liking, but I should try some others which may provide more oomph than my daily coffee consumption.)
SM influencers sponsor products and advertise heavily. The kids then start buying the products because 'everyone else is'.
Prime is a newish one. It contains six times the amount of caffeine as coke.

Here’s what a high-caffeine drink like PRIME Energy actually does to your body - BBC Science Focus
"It earned viral popularity when it was launched earlier this year, but the high levels of caffeine in one PRIME energy have prompted questions. It's now been banned from some schools, and faces scrutiny from lawmakers and health experts."
"Compared to other drinks:

• PRIME Energy: One 330ml can contains 140mg of caffeine.
  • Coca Cola: One 330ml can contains 35mg of caffeine
  • Red Bull: One 250ml can contains 80mg of caffeine.
  • Monster Energy: One 500ml can contains 160mg of caffeine."

The problem is that pre-teens and teens want these drinks, and parents do not even realize they are energy drinks.
I did not intend to use it as a reason; I was just adding it as a background thought to ponder.
I am open to the possibility that she did 'snap'; however, it is worded, and I think if she did 'snap', it was likely a culmination of circumstances, peer pressure, possible academic pressure, societal demands, and more.
or maybe she is just evil and hides behind academic achievements?
JMO

Wow! Amazing! The victim is up, walking! (With assistance), engaged in speech therapy! This is absolutely fantastic. Good news, for a change.

Mar. 29: "Wants to Apologize." "Blacked Out." "Nerd" 3 Mo's.

"Family of teen assault suspect says 'she wants to apologize' to Kaylee Gain
"The family of 15-year-old M__D___ identified her as the suspect charged with assaulting Kaylee Gain, says she was bullied for months before the fight."*
(I changed full names to initials)

From article:*
"... parents 66-year-old C_D_ & 67-year-old R_D_, have been making visits to see her..."

"C_D_ said dau was "dismayed to hear" Gain was in a coma for so long, and relieved to hear about her recent improvementsbecause, "she wants to apologize."

"I just feel for my daughter," D_'s mother said. "She's not a troublemaker, she's not a bully."

"M_ was not the aggressor," she said. "This had manifested over a three-month period. My daughter was focused on her education, and I don't know... maybe they thought she was a nerd."

C_D_ said: "police investigators have compiled copies of Instagram messages that included menacing threats to Maurnice.
"My daughter said she blacked out during the fight. I didn't know she was being bullied... I would have pulled her out of school."

Also at link, a 3m:50s vid of article.

Last edited:
Mar. 29: "Wants to Apologize." "Blacked Out." "Nerd" 3 Mo's.

"Family of teen assault suspect says 'she wants to apologize' to Kaylee Gain
"The family of 15-year-old M__D___ identified her as the suspect charged with assaulting Kaylee Gain, says she was bullied for months before the fight."*
(I changed full names to initials)

From article:*
"... parents 66-year-old C_D_ & 67-year-old R_D_, have been making visits to see her..."

"C_D_ said dau was "dismayed to hear" Gain was in a coma for so long, and relieved to hear about her recent improvementsbecause, "she wants to apologize."

"I just feel for my daughter," D_'s mother said. "She's not a troublemaker, she's not a bully."

"M_ was not the aggressor," she said. "This had manifested over a three-month period. My daughter was focused on her education, and I don't know... maybe they thought she was a nerd."

C_D_ said: "police investigators have compiled copies of Instagram messages that included menacing threats to Maurnice.
"My daughter said she blacked out during the fight. I didn't know she was being bullied... I would have pulled her out of school."

I have plenty of sympathy for those who have been bullied. I've been there myself. It's hell. But she lost the position of innocent victim the moment she tried to murder someone with her bare hands. And I think her family, in trying to advocate for her and paint her as an innocent victim is not helping her, they're making what's going to happen next far far worse. They're not preparing her for the inevitability of the justice system, and though they probably don't intend it to be, that is a cruelty.

MOO

Eight Others. Charged or Not. Which Is It?

Mar 28. Referred for possible charges.*
"Earlier this week, eight additional juveniles were referred to St. Louis County Family Court for possible charges related to the brutal assault of Kaylee Gain, a beating captured in a viral video."

Mar. 29. Have been charged.**
".... the March 8 incident where at least eight other teens have also been charged."
Article quotes a communications prof. re teens & SM, but above phrase seems to be reporter's wording.

Any corroboration of actual charges, either juvie or crim? TiA
Anyone?

I posted this in Shaylee Majia's thread but thought it applied here as well:
These days the fights between students seem particularly violent. So much has changed since I was in high school. Such senseless loss of life.

My grandchildren aren't old enough for school yet but it really worries me what the world will be like when they are in high school.....

There need to be criminal consequences for school fights. MOO

Idk if there are charges that can be applicable.
Good point to make, though.
All of the cellphone vids taken that day will be crucial, imo.
Omo.

If someone showed up at the scene of any other crime and videotaped it, they'd be charged with something. If this was a passerby, of course no charges should be filed. But if this was a student or group of students who showed up for this purpose, I say charge them. Say someone showed up to tape a rape or burglary, they wouldn't just walk away.

MOO

M_D_'s Mother's Confusion.
_._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._
Article:*
"D_'s mother seemed confused about one of those errant claims from Missouri's Attorney General Andrew Bailey, who incorrectly assumed no security guards were present inside the school, and wrongly tried to link their absence and the subsequent fight to the school board's embrace of a diversity, equity, and inclusion program.

"You know, I never even heard about it," she said about DEI. "This is not about racism. This is about two girls having a fight."
_._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._.__.

M_D_'s Confusion.
In ^ stmt she "never even heard about it", did "it" refer to --
- DEI as a concept generally.
- Hazelwood School District's DEI programs.
- MO. AG Bailey's criticism of Hazelwood DEI programs.
- Or ___

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JustFab