NJ NJ - Eleanor Sophia Lynch, 28, Newark, 13 Jan 1964

CastlesBurning

Reaction score
Eleanor Sophia Lynch (Grosshans), 28
1964 Jan 13 372 Mount Prospect Ave, Newark, Essex County, NJ

Cause of death: "Multiple stab wounds to both sides of chest, penetrating both lungs; bi-lateral hemo thorax, stab wound of lower back penetrating Liver, Hemo Peritoneum." (Dr. Edwin Albano Chief ME Essex County)

Forensic characteristics: victim abducted shortly after 12:30 a.m. from place of work (motel office) - transported in perpetrator's vehicle to an apartment building boiler room - found face down on a rug pad - The victim's green colored coat was lying under the upper part of her body and a coverless pillow was on the floor near the victim's head. Hands tied separately to pipe situated about six-to-eight inches above the floor by neckties taken from old clothes storage box in basement - man's shirt and necktie tied around face- (according to media reports: dress and sweater raised to neck - wearing bra) - undergarments, shoes and stocking scattered on the floor - 62 stab wounds to chest, back and side inflicted by 2-and-a-half-inch pocket-knife blade - $93 and a TV set missing from motel - night of Sunday-Monday. No report of penetrative rape. Time of death was estimated at 4:00 a.m.

Eleanor Sophia Lynch, 28, was found Monday 7:00 a.m. at 372 Mount Prospect Ave, Newark, Essex County, N.J. Cromwell Terrace Apartments, in the basement boiler room. The door to basement and boiler room was usually kept unlocked according to the custodian who discovered her body.

Employed as desk clerk at Dixie Motel on Route 1 in Woodbridge where she was last seen early Monday morning 12:30 a.m. at next-door diner. Remnants of take-out dinner found on desk in motel office along with the victim's purse with identification. Her car found in parking lot at motel.

Resided at 153 Cooper Street, Iselin, Woodbridge, NJ. Separated. Mother of three. Identified by her father Alfred Grosshans, Union NJ, and Mrs. Anna Foley a co-employee. Estranged husband Edward Lynch, 29, determined to have been living in California since October 1963 and residing there at the time of the murder at 3359 Canyon Crest Drive, Altadena, California. Case oddly under-reported in newspapers.

Cases New Jersey Girl Murders 1960-1980

Youth Accused in Wylie‐Hoffert and Brooklyn Murders Asks for Lie Test (Published 1964)

Attachments

• Eleanor-Lynch.jpg
    Eleanor-Lynch.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 1
Eleanor Sophia Lynch

Eleanor Sophia Lynch, age 28, Murdered 13 January 1964

Eleanor Sophia Lynch (Grosshans), 28
1964 Jan 13 372 Mount Prospect Ave, Newark, Essex County, NJ

Cause of death:
"Multiple stab wounds to both sides of chest, penetrating both lungs; bi-lateral hemo thorax, stab wound of lower back penetrating Liver, Hemo Peritoneum." (Dr. Edwin Albano Chief ME Essex County)

Forensic characteristics: victim abducted shortly after 12:30 a.m. from place of work (motel office) - transported in perpetrator's vehicle to an apartment building boiler room - found face down on a rug pad - The victim's green colored coat was lying under the upper part of her body and a coverless pillow was on the floor near the victim's head. Hands tied separately to pipe situated about six-to-eight inches above the floor by neckties taken from old clothes storage box in basement - man's shirt and necktie tied around face- (according to media reports: dress and sweater raised to neck - wearing bra) - undergarments, shoes and stocking scattered on the floor - 62 stab wounds to chest, back and side inflicted by 2-and-a-half-inch pocket-knife blade - $93 and a TV set missing from motel - night of Sunday-Monday. No report of penetrative rape. Time of death was estimated at 4:00 a.m.

Eleanor Sophia Lynch, 28, was found Monday 7:00 a.m. at 372 Mount Prospect Ave, Newark, Essex County, N.J. Cromwell Terrace Apartments, in the basement boiler room. The door to basement and boiler room was usually kept unlocked according to the custodian who discovered her body.

Employed as desk clerk at Dixie Motel on Route 1 in Woodbridge where she was last seen early Monday morning 12:30 a.m. at next-door diner. Remnants of take-out dinner found on desk in motel office along with the victim's purse with identification. Her car found in parking lot at motel.

Resided at 153 Cooper Street, Iselin, Woodbridge, NJ. Separated. Mother of three. Identified by her father Alfred Grosshans, Union NJ, and Mrs. Anna Foley a co-employee. Estranged husband Edward Lynch, 29, determined to have been living in California since October 1963 and residing there at the time of the murder at 3359 Canyon Crest Drive, Altadena, California. Case oddly under-reported in newspapers.

LINK:

Hiii I am a true crime writer for ashmysteries.com and I came here to see something, Eleanors supposed daughter emailed me telling me to take my post down. She says the information is 'inaccurate' and she doesn't seem to want the case out in the public. Has anyone here gotten any emails from her as well? I told her there are a bunch of other posts about her mother and not just mine.

Hiii I am a true crime writer for ashmysteries.com and I came here to see something, Eleanors supposed daughter emailed me telling me to take my post down. She says the information is 'inaccurate' and she doesn't seem to want the case out in the public. Has anyone here gotten any emails from her as well? I told her there are a bunch of other posts about her mother and not just mine.
Welcome to Websleuths. I have not seen any posts on this case prior to the two above yours. What I posted came directly from the linked site. If there is something incorrect in it, please let me know specifically what it is.

I am not a moderator or owner of Websleuths, so have no way of removing or modifying any of my own posts except during a 30 minute time frame after it is initially posted.

Regarding family members' feelings and opinions on a loved one's case, that is something for all of us to consider when making posts. This is particularly important in regard to any decision to post graphic photographs. Sensitivity to the victim's family should always be of concern.

But a murder is not just a family affair, it is a crime against all and it comes under legal jurisdictions and criminal laws. It is therefore, a matter of public record and civic concern.

Discussion of details regarding an unsolved murder might lead to the identification of the perpetrator, or to identification of a John/Jane Doe. Comparison of this murder with other similar cases could lead to a case being solved, and possibly a perpetrator being captured.

Welcome to Websleuths. I have not seen any posts on this case prior to the two above yours. What I posted came directly from the linked site. If there is something incorrect in it, please let me know specifically what it is.

I am not a moderator or owner of Websleuths, so have no way of removing or modifying any of my own posts except during a 30 minute time frame after it is initially posted.

Regarding family members' feelings and opinions on a loved one's case, that is something for all of us to consider when making posts. This is particularly important in regard to any decision to post graphic photographs. Sensitivity to the victim's family should always be of concern.

But a murder is not just a family affair, it is a crime against all and it comes under legal jurisdictions and criminal laws. It is therefore, a matter of public record and civic concern.

Discussion of details regarding an unsolved murder might lead to the identification of the perpetrator, or to identification of a John/Jane Doe. Comparison of this murder with other similar cases could lead to a case being solved, and possibly a perpetrator being captured.
This person also told me that she and the police think her mother's case will never be solved. Of course I understand it is very taxing and stressful on the family members, I have just never had someone tell me they wanted me to remove a post about their loved one. She said I am tarnishing her name. How? By trying to solve her gruesome murder.... ? It was all very strange to me. Thanks for replying

This person also told me that she and the police think her mother's case will never be solved. Of course I understand it is very taxing and stressful on the family members, I have just never had someone tell me they wanted me to remove a post about their loved one. She said I am tarnishing her name. How? By trying to solve her gruesome murder.... ? It was all very strange to me. Thanks for replying
It is certainly understandable that a family member might feel that way, and it is something to consider when posting about any of these cold cases and unsolved murders or disappearances.

However, these cases are not civil ones in which one party might be able to withdraw charges or reach a sealed agreement. These are criminal cases, and as such crimes against ALL people. Thus the legal title of any such case being: The State of ___ vs (name of defendant).

Evidence or information is in the public domain or reported in a free press. Discussion of such cases has often led to them being solved or closed - even after many years. The patterns of a killer in one case might be recognized in the study of other unsolved cases.

That said, it is of the utmost importance to be accurate and truthful in discussing any cases. Newspapers and even police might get a story wrong, and pointing out those mistakes or errors is something that can be done with supporting facts.

Reactions: ?!?
If you're sufficiently interested, you might want to check with LE to see if all the latest DNA technology has been applied here. With the crime scene described, it seems there must be some DNA left -- was it preserved, and is it still usable (see Othram)?
Even if there was a DNA protocol at the time, with no substantive result, the new capabilities may provide a lead.

I wondered why the news did very little coverage on her murder. I am doing a follow up on all the women killed during the 50’s 60’70’ and 80’ s in South NJ . I have removed several women from the list the resolved cases by the Serial Killers we knew did kill most of these women , but there are still women that were killed by WHO??? DellaPenna she is not on this list n , Ferreira not on the list .Mrs Lynch is on the list she as abducted , she was stabbed so many times but not raped but staged .He was getting started ,she was much older than the rest of the women WHY? She was the second one ! I think ! Ms Olejnik no rape , abducted, stabbed maybe not sure how to kill her pushed her face down into creek mud n sand in mouth . Messy ! he does not do that again ! Most of his victims are strangled in addition to stabbing

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zootopian2
Back