NY NY - Brooklyn, Sheepshead Bay, E 19th St, BlkMale 35-55, UP7737, owl & heart tatts, clothes, Jun'94

JSolt1210

Reaction score
Case Information

Case Numbers
ME/C Case Number: K94-03287

Demographics

Sex: Male
Race / Ethnicity: Black / African American
Estimated Age Group: Adult - Pre 60
Estimated Age Range (Years): 35-55
Estimated Year of Death: 1994
Estimated PMI: Days
Height: 5' 10"(70 inches), Measured
Weight: 165 lbs, Estimated

Circumstances

Type: Unidentified Deceased
Date Body Found: June 14, 1994
NamUs Case Created: August 31, 2010
ME/C QA Reviewed: September 2, 2010

Location Found Map
Street Address: Sheepshead Bay, near East 19th Street, Brooklyn, New York
County: Kings County
GPS Coordinates: 40.583208, -73.949468
Circumstances of Recovery: Unknown black male found floating in Sheepshead Bay near East 19th Street. Decedent had brick tied around his neck.

Details of Recovery
Inventory of Remains: All parts recovered
Condition of Remains: Not recognizable - Decomposing/putrefaction

Physical Description

Hair Color: Brown
Head Hair Description: dark brown and gray
Left Eye Color: Brown
Right Eye Color: Brown

Distinctive Physical Features
Tattoo: tattoo of owl sitting on stick on left forearm, a heart with an arrow directly beneath it

Clothing and Accessories
Clothing (On the Body): navy zipper "Dickey's" jacket w/red lining, navy zipper "BUM equipment" sweatshirt, red "Alexis" ribbed henley size XL, blue jeans, brown leather belt, "Hanes" thermal underwear bottoms, white socks, white socks w/red stripe, white tee size XLwith "East West Model Management" on front

Footwear (On the Body): "LA Gear" low top sneakers sz 13

The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

The details of Bhagwan Moses Lall's case leads me to believe these may be his remains. I'd be curious to know if he had an owl tattoo. I'd expect an exotic bird handler to have a more elaborate bird as a tattoo but perhaps Moses, being as he is reported to be socially withdrawn, settled for the only bird he or a close pal knew how to draw/tattoo. That is purely speculation on my part but it might explain the owl.

The news article linked below is very long and detailed. I tried to pull out bits that show a connection to New York. While doing so I realized Bhagwan also had a brief stint as a model. That would explain the t-shirt with "East West Model Management" on front. Finally, I'm a bit confused why someone would be wearing so much winter clothes in June. There is/was a familial connection to Canada. Is it usually still cold/cool enough in June for thermals and sweatshirts in either Toronto or NY?

The physical stats pretty well match up, except the reported gray hairs mixed in with JD's dark brown hair. In the photo below, notice the short, curly hairs. That's common, I know, but it appears Moses had a head full of dark, short curls. Another curious fact is JD was dumped in a body of water with a brick tied to his neck. Someone didn't want his body to surface which plays right into the theory of Moses having met with foul play.

Are these Moses' remains?

Original

The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)
UID - tattoo of owl sitting on stick on left forearm, a heart with an arrow directly beneath it
Circumstances of Recovery: Unknown black male found floating in Sheepshead Bay near East 19th Street. Decedent had brick tied around his neck

1048DMFL - Bhagwan Lall
BLall.jpg
BLall1.jpg
BLall2.jpg

THE BIRDMAN VANISHES
Snip
In the early 1980s, Moses Lall moved to Toronto, where his Aunt Lila and an older brother, Praim, lived. He briefly attended college, and even tried modeling.

Snip

Lall's mother bought an old warehouse building in Queens, N.Y.,

Snip

Moses and his aunt lived on Long Island and commuted to the quarantine station daily.

Snip

Soon he had several hundred birds and needed more space and a climate better-suited to the birds' tropical roots. He moved some of his birds to South Florida in 1987, settling on a ranch just west of Davie with his brother, Samharaat Lall.

Snip

When Lall finally moved his ranch to Loxahatchee in 1992, Aunt Lila came down from Canada to help.

Snip

As in any illegal trade, there are shady characters and dirty dealings. Many in the bird business believe Moses Lall became entangled in that world, and may have become a victim of it. Investigators say that Lall did in fact have contacts with smugglers.

Snip

Mahadai Lall believes the two ranch hands who worked for her son are the key to unraveling the mystery. Even before Moses' disappearance, one of them had already proved he was capable of turning on his employer.

IN OCTOBER 1993, LALL told his mother that Daljeet Gobin had stolen $29,000 from the ranch house and driven off in a van to escape.

The Lalls tracked him down in New York City and informed the police. When Moses filed charges, Gobin pleaded with his boss to drop the case. Lall finally agreed, after Gobin said he would return the $26,000 he still had. Lall also allowed Gobin to return to the ranch.

Snip

The last time Mahadai heard from Moses was on May 29, 1994.

Snip

Eleven days later, on Thursday, June 9, Darrel Crewe, an employee for Bird Haven, a feed store in Fort Lauderdale, drove to the Lalls' ranch to deliver bird seed. Crewe parked his truck outside the gate and sounded his horn. No one came out, so he unloaded the sacks of feed and left them at the gate.

That same day, Howard Voren says he received an unusual call from Arlene Loucks, a bird broker in Nyack, N.Y. Loucks said that a man from Africa offered a friend of hers some hawk-headed parrots, orange-winged Amazons and African Grey parrots. She asked Voren whether he thought there was a market for the birds.

At first, Loucks didn't mention that the African had said he got the birds from Moses Lall. But Voren sensed that was the case, based on descriptions of the birds.

Loucks said the African claimed that Lall had given him the birds as payment for a deal that had fallen through. Voren got suspicious.

Snip

ON JULY 16, DETECTIVES FROM the Sheriff's Office announced a major break in the case. A routine search through the national crime computer showed that Moses Lall had been arrested on a traffic charge in Richmond Hill, Ga., a week before he was reported missing.

Police said they had stopped to assist Lall with a flat tire on his 1992 Plymouth Voyager minivan on Interstate 95. A license check showed that Lall was wanted for driving with a suspended license.

Snip

Richmond Hill police sent a mug shot and fingerprints of the man they had arrested to the Sheriff's Office. It turned out it was not Moses Lall at all, but ranch hand Daljeet Gobin.

Snip

After learning about Gobin's arrest, Mahadai Lall flew to New York to try to find him or her son, knowing they had connections with dealers in the city. But breeders and importers told Mahadai they hadn't seen either man recently.

Palm Beach County detectives eventually located Roland Eyoum, Lall's other ranch hand, in New York. They questioned him several times over the phone. Eyoum said he had quit working at the ranch two weeks before Moses and Lila were reported missing.

Snip

For detectives, the disappearance of Moses and Lila is a matter of sorting through numerous convoluted stories and theories, some fact, some fiction.
#

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
parzval
Back