OR - Man spotted throwing $100 bills from car on Interstate 5, questioned and released - Eugene, 11 Apr 2023

ifindedout

Reaction score
Troopers with the Oregon State Police (OSP) responded to a portion of Interstate 5 in Eugene on Tuesday around 7:30 p.m. after receiving calls that motorists were stopped and gathering cash that had been “floating” on the side of the road, OSP said in a statement provided to Nexstar.

They later learned that a driver named Colin Davis McCarthy, 38, was responsible for dispensing the cash — reportedly in $100-bill denominations — along the interstate.

“McCarthy told Troopers he wanted to gift the money, which he estimated at $200,000, however there wasn’t really a way to confirm how much money was ‘gifted,’” the OSP said.

Unsurprisingly, there's more to the story:
But while several bystanders benefited from the stunt on Tuesday, his family said they've been left penniless.

A relative of McCarthy told police that he had gained the money by draining his family's shared bank accounts, but police said it is unlikely they will get it back, [ABC affiliate] KEZI 9 reported.

"Because it's shared, they both have equal interests in the money," Andrews said, per the local media outlet, meaning that anybody with access to the account is able to take all the money and use it as they see fit.

The family said that although it's unlikely to happen, they want people who found the cash to return it to Oregon State Police, per KEZI 9.

But while several bystanders benefited from the stunt on Tuesday, his family said they've been left penniless.

A relative of McCarthy told police that he had gained the money by draining his family's shared bank accounts, but police said it is unlikely they will get it back, [ABC affiliate] KEZI 9 reported.

"Because it's shared, they both have equal interests in the money," Andrews said, per the local media outlet, meaning that anybody with access to the account is able to take all the money and use it as they see fit.

The family said that although it's unlikely to happen, they want people who found the cash to return it to Oregon State Police, per KEZI 9.
It was his to give away. Morally, he may be at fault but legally not so much. What a horrible thing to give someone shared rights to $200,000 you cannot afford to lose.

Somehow I don't think the other family members will be getting even one tiny penny back.

Expensive lesson. I wonder why others trusted him enough to grant him access.

As the saying goes, "A fool & his money are soon parted."

JMO

well that's weird
don't joint accounts normally have the requirement that both parties be present to take money out?
is a shared account the same as a joint account?

well that's weird
don't joint accounts normally have the requirement that both parties be present to take money out?
is a shared account the same as a joint account?

None of ours do! I had shared accounts with my parents for years (never needed to use access, but had the check pad and occasionally helped them figure out bills - could sign checks for them). I currently share an account with two family members and any one of us can go to the back and with proper ID, take out money. I just transferred a rather large sum between those two sets of accounts, all by myself (my husband has nothing to do with any banking) and while there was a 3 day wait period before that transfer cleared, it took only one of us.

We can transfer funds among all our accounts (I think there are 6-7 different ones, each with slightly different ownership) because we share an internet banking account at our bank. My name is on all of them, husband is on all but one of them, daughter is on one). However any one of us could transfer money among those accounts simply by signing in.

IMO.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cluesearcher
Back