PA - Home leveled in explosion, man and woman dead - Crescent Township, 12 Mar 2024

ifindedout

Reaction score
The explosion was first reported at 8:54 a.m. on Riverview Road in Crescent Township, Allegheny County. Multiple units from several municipalities responded to the scene, along with natural gas workers.

"Severe, absolutely extreme," Chief [Andrew] Tomer said. "I know the reports that the explosion was heard and felt throughout all of Crescent, Moon, into Robinson, across the river. It was a decent size explosion."

[...]

The Allegheny County Fire Marshal and the ATF are investigating the cause of the explosion.

Columbia Gas crews are also on the scene; however, a spokesperson said their company did not serve the home involved. Instead, they said the home that exploded was served by a private gas well on the property.

My dad's place overlooks the Ohio River valley on the opposite side of the river; Crescent Twp is to the south of us. Just before 9 a.m. I was making coffee in the kitchen and could not only hear the boom, but felt it.

Prayers are going out to the family of the two victims. Per news reports, a woman who identified herself as the victims' daughter was in a house nearby and witnessed the aftermath of the explosion. I feel awful that she had to be so close, but it's good to hear she and the infant in the house with her were not hurt.

I was hoping for news that the couple in the home would turn out to be away for the morning. :(

1710303450738.png

Identified:
David L. Mitchell Jr, 89
Helen H. Mitchell, 87

CBS:

Fuel SourceS:
Propane, as well as a Private Natural Gas Well.

Mercaptan = Foul-Smelling Tracer Gas added to
Public Sources of Propane and Natural Gas

Our Condolences to the David L. Mitchell Family.

Last edited:

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Caseymarie9316