PRESS CONFERENCE: October 20, 2014, JLM Indicted in 2005 Fairfax Rape Case

Status
Not open for further replies.
"I think everyone is affected by the situation in Charlottesville, including me."

"The charges speak for themselves."

HG case was of value to this dept in conducting its investigation. LE coordinates. That's all he can say about HG.

Does attempted murder charge indicate how violent he was?
Documents speak for themselves. They are publicly available.

Summary: Prosecutor says they've charged JM for rape and attempted murder. Turned it over to police chief who reiterates. Prosecutor came back to say he can't answer questions. Says they are cooperating with authorities in Albemarle and expect to have him in court soon. Victim is grateful to lead detective Boone, who said he'd never give up. She is grateful that the case will go forward.

Any reason to believe she was targeted? A: I can't answer question because it would be a comment on evidence
Court date set? A: No, and I don't think it will be Thursday, but will be relatively soon.
<inaudible>: There have been releases before, but I haven't been following them, and I am the prosecutor, so I can't talk about the evidence.
Does he have a lawyer here on the Fairfax charges? A: No, I know he has an attorney in c-ville, Camblos, who is a former prosecutor and is very experienced. Expect to talk to him.
Death Penalty? A: No, victim is alive.
<inaudible>: A: There is a presumption of innocence. Proud of LE. I will do my best and hopefully justice will be served.
Why took so long? A: We were investigating, collecting evidence, delay recently was due to being thorough. Always pays to be cautious and thoughtful during an investigation. Don't charge until I'm confident I have a solid case.
Victim in US? A: I would rather not say but she is cooperative. In fairness to her, I won't comment on that.
<inaudible>: A: confident that we will be able to bring justice.
Hannah Graham case - did that help? A: <pause> I would say sort of indirectly, that case was of value to this department in conducting its investigation, obviously LE coordinates in cases like this, but that's all I can say about it here.
<inaudible>: A: This case stands alone. He's not charged with murder here. This case stands alone; I have to prove my case beyond a reasonable doubt. I think everyone is affected by situation in C-ville.
Is charge of attempted capital murder give the public an indication of how violent the attack was, or is legally that just a completely separate thing? A: Charges speak for themselves, indictments are over there in the courthouse.

so glad this victim will too get justice. makes sense no death penalty. He is sure racking up the charges.

I'm glad y'all can hear the reporters' questions and are transcribing them because I can't!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aztraea