The bag that held rope

TizerisT

Reaction score
^ There is various accounts on that page regarding a bag containing rope in John Andrews spare room that doesnt seem to belong to anybody. Some describe it as a brown paper bag while others call it a rucksack which would be more likely. Has there ever been pictures of this bag?

Last edited:
Last I heard, the rope was found by itself under JAR's bed, and the paper bag was a police evidence bag. Sorry, I can't pinpoint a source at the moment, but will look.....

^ There is various accounts on that page regarding a bag containing rope in John Andrews spare room that doesnt seem to belong to anybody. Some describe it as a brown paper bag while others call it a rucksack which would be more likely. Has there ever been pictures of this bag?

Hi. I still don't have a photo of the bag, but here's the portion of PR's 1998 interview with Trip DeMuth that confirms the paper bag as a police evidence bag:

TOM HANEY: Next we have photos that are numbered 113.
PATSY RAMSEY: Uh-huh (yes).
TOM HANEY: Which is a paper bag.
PATSY RAMSEY: Uh-huh (yes).
TOM HANEY: And then 114 is the contents of that.
TRIP DeMUTH: The paper bag is a police bag and this came out of here.
PATSY RAMSEY: Oh, this was in here?
TRIP DeMUTH: Correct?
PATSY RAMSEY: Oh.
TRIP DeMUTH: And there's another picture of that same item in 115 and 116. Why don't you look those over at your leisure.
PATSY RAMSEY: I don't recognize it, specifically.
TOM HANEY: Okay. And that, that particular piece of rope, do you ever remember seeing anything like it around? And if you look at photo 115, you notice the --
PATSY RAMSEY: Right.
TOM HANEY: -- ends are unusually secured.
PATSY RAMSEY: Right. No.
TOM HANEY: Can you think of any reason to have that kind of rope around?
PATSY RAMSEY: I've just never seen ends like that, done like that. John had some, you know, boat ropes and things up at the lake, but it seems like when they cut those, they kind of melt the ends of them or something to keep them from fraying or something. I've never seen one done like that.

………

Thing is, later on in that same page they’re describing it as a duffel bag, with a picture of a similar model

Thing is, later on in that same page they’re describing it as a duffel bag, with a picture of a similar model

Not quite. I believe DeMuth and Haney are referencing two different bags. As I understand it, from crime scene photos and other discussions, the rope was found inside some type of fabric bag in JAR's room and transferred to the police paper evidence bag.

7 TOM HANEY: There are two more photos on
8 the back sides of the same flashlight. Next we
9 have photos that are numbered 113.
10 PATSY RAMSEY: Uh-huh (yes).
11 TOM HANEY: Which is a paper bag.
12 PATSY RAMSEY: Uh-huh (yes).
13 TOM HANEY: And then 114 [the rope] is the contents of
14 that. [the paper bag]

15 TRIP DeMUTH: The paper bag is a police bag
16 and this [the rope] came out of here.[the duffel bag]

17 PATSY RAMSEY: Oh, this was in here? [Oh, the rope was found in the duffel bag?]
18 TRIP DeMUTH: Correct?
19 PATSY RAMSEY: Oh.

The bag found in JAR's room, variously described as a duffel bag, backpack, or rucksack, is pictured at the foot of the bed in the crime scene photo linked below. HTH.
https://www.forumsforjustice.org/forums/attachments/jar-br-w-rope-bag-jpg.3862/

If anyone has a different understanding of the bags or of this portion of the 1998 interview, please do speak up!

Very intriguing! This screams somebody waiting in the room next to JB with a rope in a dark backpack.
Any idea what the circled parts are? Triangle looking thing.

Its been moved by the time the forensic video tour was made:

Attachments

• temp.jpg
    temp.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
Very intriguing! This screams somebody waiting in the room next to JB with a rope in a dark backpack.
Any idea what the circled parts are? Triangle looking thing.

Its been moved by the time the forensic video tour was made:
So sorry, I don't know what the other objects are or why they're circled. I wouldn't say "screams"; maybe "asks whether."
The rope could have been JAR's since it was found in his backpack, and he enjoyed outdoor sports, so maybe for rock climbing. It could have been left over from JBR's last photoshoot, in which she dressed as a cowgirl and had a rope spread around her that looked exactly like the one the police found. JBR's bedroom Christmas tree continued the cowgirl theme and had the same kind of rope used for a garland. It's possible the rope for her tree was cut from the long rope and the rest was put in the disused backpack just to get it out of the way till after the holidays. The rope is an intriguing find, but ordinary explanations for it are completely possible, and IIRC there's nothing in the autopsy to indicate that a rope was used on JBR.

So sorry, I don't know what the other objects are or why they're circled. I wouldn't say "screams"; maybe "asks whether."
The rope could have been JAR's since it was found in his backpack, and he enjoyed outdoor sports, so maybe for rock climbing. It could have been left over from JBR's last photoshoot, in which she dressed as a cowgirl and had a rope spread around her that looked exactly like the one the police found. JBR's bedroom Christmas tree continued the cowgirl theme and had the same kind of rope used for a garland. It's possible the rope for her tree was cut from the long rope and the rest was put in the disused backpack just to get it out of the way till after the holidays. The rope is an intriguing find, but ordinary explanations for it are completely possible, and IIRC there's nothing in the autopsy to indicate that a rope was used on JBR.
I think it's fair to say it probably wasn't used as part of the cowboy thing.

Patsy was shown a photo of rope found in John Andrew's bedroom
Patsy Ramsey: "I don't recognize it, specifically."
Trip DeMuth: "Okay. And that, that particular piece of rope, do you ever remember seeing anything like it around? And if you look at photo 115, you notice the... ends are unusually secured... can you think of any reason to have that kind of rope around?"
Patsy Ramsey: "I've just never seen ends like that, done like that. John had some, you know, boat ropes and things up at the lake, but it seems like when they cut those they kind of melt the ends of them or something to keep them from fraying or something. I've never seen one done like that."
Trip DeMuth: "The kind of ropes you're talking about that John used up there - "
Patsy Ramsey: "For the sailboat or - "
Trip DeMuth: "Are they colored the same or similar?"
Patsy Ramsey: "Well, some of them have like little blue flecks in them or red, or there's some white ones, you know."
Trip DeMuth: "Okay. Do you know what, what those are composed of? Is it a nylon-like that melts?"
Patsy Ramsey: "Yeah, it must, something that melts, yeah. But it seems to me like they somehow torch the ends and kind of keep them from fraying. I can't remember seeing any one looking like that."
Trip DeMuth: "You don't remember that being used anywhere in the house or yard or - "
Patsy Ramsey: "No"
Trip DeMuth: "Would you think that unusual to be found in the house?"
Patsy Ramsey: "Yeah, I mean, Burke had some ropes that he would play with through something out on the playground, you know, in that, in that picture yesterday the rope around the, the fort, you know, or something."
Trip DeMuth: "Right"
Patsy Ramsey: "Always trying to make a boat or something like that."
Trip DeMuth: "This was found inside the house"
Patsy Ramsey: "Inside the house?"
Trip DeMuth: "In John Andrew's room?"
Patsy Ramsey: "Oh. Maybe it was a, some rope he used for camping or something, I don't know."
Trip DeMuth: "Did he have rope in his room that he would use for camping?"
Patsy Ramsey: "...I don't know. I just don't remember seeing this specifically, and I don't remember ever seeing a rope like that."
Trip DeMuth: "Do you know John Andrew had a rope in that room?"

I think it's fair to say it probably wasn't used as part of the cowboy thing.

Patsy was shown a photo of rope found in John Andrew's bedroom
Patsy Ramsey: "I don't recognize it, specifically."
Trip DeMuth: "Okay. And that, that particular piece of rope, do you ever remember seeing anything like it around? And if you look at photo 115, you notice the... ends are unusually secured... can you think of any reason to have that kind of rope around?"
Patsy Ramsey: "I've just never seen ends like that, done like that. John had some, you know, boat ropes and things up at the lake, but it seems like when they cut those they kind of melt the ends of them or something to keep them from fraying or something. I've never seen one done like that."
Trip DeMuth: "The kind of ropes you're talking about that John used up there - "
Patsy Ramsey: "For the sailboat or - "
Trip DeMuth: "Are they colored the same or similar?"
Patsy Ramsey: "Well, some of them have like little blue flecks in them or red, or there's some white ones, you know."
Trip DeMuth: "Okay. Do you know what, what those are composed of? Is it a nylon-like that melts?"
Patsy Ramsey: "Yeah, it must, something that melts, yeah. But it seems to me like they somehow torch the ends and kind of keep them from fraying. I can't remember seeing any one looking like that."
Trip DeMuth: "You don't remember that being used anywhere in the house or yard or - "
Trip DeMuth: "Would you think that unusual to be found in the house?"
Patsy Ramsey: "Yeah, I mean, Burke had some ropes that he would play with through something out on the playground, you know, in that, in that picture yesterday the rope around the, the fort, you know, or something."
Trip DeMuth: "Right"
Patsy Ramsey: "Always trying to make a boat or something like that."
Trip DeMuth: "This was found inside the house"
Patsy Ramsey: "Inside the house?"
Trip DeMuth: "In John Andrew's room?"
Patsy Ramsey: "Oh. Maybe it was a, some rope he used for camping or something, I don't know."
Trip DeMuth: "Did he have rope in his room that he would use for camping?"
Patsy Ramsey: "...I don't know. I just don't remember seeing this specifically, and I don't remember ever seeing a rope like that."
Trip DeMuth: "Do you know John Andrew had a rope in that room?"

The cowboy thing?
Looks like I got hold of bad information - so sorry. The rope had been used as a garland on JAR's Christmas tree in 1994, the year of the Home Tour. Pure speculation, but it would make sense if it had been stowed away in his room afterwards, available for other uses, rather than taken to the basement with the rest of the decorations. It may or may not be the same rope seen in JBR's photo. They do look very similar. As for Patsy saying she didn't recognize it: hard to assess. There were other things in the home, like the Santa Bear in JBR's room, that she said she didn't recognize.
jonbenet-ramsey-jonbenet-ramsey-34510358-423-600.jpg

I'ts very similar. I'm thinking perhaps the intruder saw it and thought 'that! i'll use that'

I'm convinced that an intruder entered with a black packpack containing a stun gun and duct tape.
The rope, though, i'm not sure. Patsy said that rope was a foreign object when grilled.
I'm torn

Last edited:
Is it allowed on this site to just turn a thread into troll spamfest? There has to be a standard here. If you can't contribute properly, why are you even posting

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aztraea
Back