The Somer Foundation

http://www.firstcoastnews.com/news/local/news-article.aspx?storyid=154926&catid=3

Somer's Sunshine Run to Take Place on May 22nd

The Somer Thompson Foundation is a non-profit organization set up to help victims families of child abduction resulting in death. Diena Thompson (President) knows firsthand what those needs are as her entire family was faced with the unthinkable when her 7 year old daughter, Somer Thompson, was abducted and murdered during her walk home from school on October of 2009.

Join her in this cause to help others who are suffering and give education and prevention information to parents and children so this sort of crime is addressed and can be stopped. The foundations mission is to help victims families that have suffered the loss of a child through stranger abduction, to help educate the parents and children of the dangers that are all around us at any given time and to promote safety and neighborhood watch programs.

Somers Law is in the beginning stages of development. The foundation will start on a State level to secure faster ways of enacting alerts to law enforcement agencies once a child is abducted so they can have the necessary information out as soon as possible to act upon, with the hopes of locating and returning these children back home safely. In addition, The Somer Thompson Foundation will be making Grants to victims families that meet the criteria in the bylaws of the foundation in an effort to help when it is needed the most as well as providing emotional support at a time when they need it the most.

It looks like the Somer Foundation is starting to get established, and they are starting to fine tune what they plan to do. I am really happy to see that this will be a multi faceted effort to educate parents and children, developing new laws and helping victim's families when, God forbid, things like this happen to our innocent children. I hope this foundation does great work in Somer's memory.

I would like to say for those that are interested in changing some laws in their community and feel that it might take a lot of money, I am impressed with where I live.

A teenager has been missing since this winter . LE didn't do anything for 24 hours because it was a teenager. Within a month, LE changed the protocol so that they act immediately.

I did not know that in my state that RSO's had to register, but there were not restrictions on where they can live. Some people went to the city council here and asked for restrictions that are in place in lots of other localities in the US.

The vote is coming next week and I am sure that it will be passed. So, if you live someplace where you feel the laws are not strong enough, go to your local people and ask that they are changed.

We so far had not had any horrendous crimes here (knock on wood!!!) so it doesn't have to be something like that to go to your local lawmakers with.

I think most local lawmakers are more than willing to deal with these issues. As a matter of fact, I think that most, if not all politicians, want to be on the side that does something about sex offenders. Just ask.

http://www.news4jax.com/news/23606613/detail.html

Somer Foundation Pushes For New Bill
Law Would Require Sex Offenders To Live Outside 1-Mile Radius From School

ORANGE PARK, Fla. -- The Somer Thompson foundation is pushing for a new bill that could soon be in the hands of state lawmakers.

Somer's law, which is under final review by the foundation, would require sex offenders and predators to live outside Somer's safety zones -- or a one-mile radius from any school.

The petition also includes a change to the Amber Alert system, requiring an Amber Alert status be issued within 30 minutes of a possible kidnapping.

Jarred Harrell, the man accused of killing the 7-year-old Orange Park girl, is still in jail.

He is scheduled to appear in court Thursday on some of the 58 felony charges he is currently facing.

Investigators said Harrell kidnapped Somer on her way home from school in October. Her body was found days later in a Georgia landfill.

n313741120325_4603.jpg

Somer's Sunshine Run is tomorrow

http://www.firstcoastnews.com/news/mostpopular/news-article.aspx?storyid=156308

Snipped:

ORANGE PARK Fla. -- There's no better way to remember a child or childhood itself than by doing what children love to do: run and play.

Somer Thompson can no longer run and play like she used to, but her mother and the foundation named after her want to make sure other kids can.

Somer was abducted and killed in October, and her mother Diena has since established the Somer Thompson Foundation to help other families going through the same situation.

Saturday, there's a fun run/walk for families and a 5K run for those a bit more serious about running. There will also plenty of fun activities for the youngsters, including bounce houses, face painting and a dunk tank.

Anyone can register at any 1st Place Sports location, and the cost is $20 for the 5K and $12 for the family fun run. If you register Saturday, the prices go up to $25/$15.

All proceeds benefit the Somer Thompson Foundation.

http://www.claytodayonline.com/content/2676_1.php

Budget passes first reading, but may be tweaked

Several children’s advocates spoke on behalf of the center during Tuesday’s meeting, including Bruce McIntosh, a physician with the state health department’s Child Protection program; and Diena Thompson, the mother of 7-year-old murder and sexual abuse victim Somer Thomson and president of the Somer Thompson Foundation.

I am glad to see the DT is fighting the good fight. She is trying to make a difference in the name of her little angel. May it continue to give her the strength she needs.

Ed Smart, Chuck Cox, and others meet at Utah's capitol to remember the missing

Mothers spoke of the difficulties they still face in living day-to-day years after their children have gone missing.

One mother talked about her daughter who was kidnapped and of the horrible things that were done to her. She was recovered alive, months later, but now eight years later this victim struggles daily to get through life.

DianaThompson, the mother of Somer Thompson, spoke. Her daughter went missing in Florida in October 2009, and was found. She had been kidnapped, raped, and murdered, then dumped in a landfill where she was found a few days after she died. Her abductor was arrested.

Those were just a few of the people who spoke at the event.

The pain and scars perpetrators leave behind last a lifetime. Not only do they effect their victims, but their friends, families, and their communities.

http://www.examiner.com/missing-per...h-s-capitol-to-remember-the-missing-slideshow

http://www.somerthompsonfoundation.com/grantawards.html

DIENA THOMPSON AWARDS GRANT

"The Somer Thompson Foundation - President Diena Thompson and her Father Phil Bowling travel to Colorado City, Texas to assist with grant support to Billie Dunn, Mother of Hailey Dunn.

Hailey Dunn is a 13 year old white female, 5' 1", with hazel eyes and light brown hair. She was last seen Monday afternoon, December 27th, in the 1800 block of Chestnut St. in Colorado City, TX. She was wearing a light colored t-shirt, navy blue sweat pants, and pink and white shoes. If you have ANY information, please contact the Colorado City police Department at 325-728-5294 or your local law enforcement agency."

This warms my heart. God Bless you Diena, I bet Somer is smiling down on you and very proud of her mommy. To take your grief and try to turn in into something good, to try and make a difference, is admirable. I hope that Hailey's mom can draw some strength from you.

DT is really doing great things in Somer's memory! I hope this really helps this family.

I got this e-mail today...

Remembering Somer

A message to all members of Remembering Somer

We will be closing the Remember Somer Website in the near future and invite all members to join us at www.SomerThompsonFoundation.org for updates and information. There is also a Justice for Somer - Remembering Somer Facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/#!/group.php?gid=173690669016

Thanks to every member and especially to Interchanges for hosting this website for the family. God Bless and hope to see you all at one or both of the above internet venues.

Phillip Bowling

Somer's Poppa

Visit Remembering Somer at: http://www.rememberingsomer.com/?xg_source=msg_mes_network

In case this hasn't been posted yet...interesting comments following the article...MO

Slain Girl's Mom Honored For Efforts
April 5 Named Somer Thompson Day In Clay County

POSTED: Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Diena Thompson (wearing purple) is presented with a key to Clay County by county commissioners as she's honored for her work in her daughter's name.
ORANGE PARK, Fla. -- Diena Thompson, whose daughter Somer was killed in October 2009, was honored in Clay County on Tuesday for her work in Somer's name.

The 7-year-old was kidnapped walking home from her Orange Park school, and her body was found days later in a Georgia landfill. Jarred Harrell, who's accused of killing Somer, is awaiting trial.
http://www.news4jax.com/news/27283701/detail.html

The comments look like the same exact smut that was thrown here for so long. Horrible!
This woman lost her child to a murderer. Somer died a horrible violent death at the hands of a predator. It's a shame how classless those comments are.
Smut!!!!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back