Found Deceased TN - Riley Strain, 22, missing after leaving bar, Nashville, 8 March 2024 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the strongest evidence that he was not robbed and killed is that the phone and cards show no activity. I can think of at least 3-4 cases over the years where a person has gone missing, has made no contact at all with family or friends or coworkers, yet mysterious activity shows up on cards and phone, ie, Some other party is using them.
He could have been carrying a large amount of cash and was robbed of that. Smart thieves know that cards and phones can be tracked. Scenario: He was accosted and robbed. His debit card was taken, but immediately tossed. His phone was thrown into the river. And somehow, Riley also ended up in the river. MOO

True enough. I’m also considering for argument’s sake the idea that an expensive phone could be stolen, the SIM card removed, and reformatted for a quick sale, without necessarily leaving a trace.
I think it would show up on Riley's phone company records and be provided to LE.

JMO

What items ? Maybe he only had the one debit card - an experienced phone thief would know to shut the phone off and remove the SIM card even if the plan was just to sell the phone.

I know him being attacked is a long shot with no evidence to date, but I have a hard time seeing him navigate the slope and into the water without him falling on the way down. If he fell into the water, why didn't anyone at the homeless camp hear the splash/commotion ?

Even if he just had one, it was never used.

He had an iPhone 15, which does not have a physical SIM card.

That phone would likely still be trackable for a period of time as well, even while off thanks to Apple’s crowdsourcing technology.

As for him falling in, we don’t know the specific spot. We do have a decent idea based on the location of his card though. He could have shimmied down, which would potentially limit any injuries too.

I’m not particularly bothered by no one hearing anything.

What items ? Maybe he only had the one debit card - an experienced phone thief would know to shut the phone off and remove the SIM card even if the plan was just to sell the phone.

I know him being attacked is a long shot with no evidence to date, but I have a hard time seeing him navigate the slope and into the water without him falling on the way down. If he fell into the water, why didn't anyone at the homeless camp hear the splash/commotion ?
Unfortunately, when falling into water, suddenly in cold water, and even those already swimming , (anyone and everyone in water) many victims make no noise, do not call out, etc.
If you think you can take your eyes off of a swimmer and assume they will call out if they need help, it could be a deadly mistake. Even a lifeguard at a pool is not listening for trouble, they are watching.
Did you hear the noise of the river? Someone falling in would not be heard.
These often-repeated myths are not helping prevent drownings.

Drowning can be fast and silent.

I kind of disagree....drug addicts will definitely rob people in order to feed their addiction. Homeless or not homeless. He would be an easy mark if he was drunk.
Sure. I don't know what happened to him.

I was trying to make a reasonable response to the allegation that just by walking through a homeless camp, he was bound to have been set upon and robbed and killed because, you know, that's what homeless camps are all about.

True enough. I’m also considering for argument’s sake the idea that an expensive phone could be stolen, the SIM card removed, and reformatted for a quick sale, without necessarily leaving a trace.
You could remove a sim card and factory reset a phone, but the IMEI number remains the same as it is part of the phone hardware, and as soon as it's turned back on, it will ping the closest tower and be traceable. I think we've learned this through other recent cases (Samantha Murphy, Madeline Soto, etc). JMO

QUESTION which just came to mind: @MassGuy

If a phone is stolen, the SIM card removed, and the phone reformatted in order to sell it:
will that activity be visible?
Do we know what kind of iPhone he had? " State of the art" if it is an iPhone 14 or more recent, then it doesn't have a SIM card slot at all, rather it has an eSim.
Does the iPhone 14 Have a SIM Card Slot?.

The area where Strain was last seen was in a brushy area with cliffs that would make it nearly impossible for the missing student to have fallen into the river, Loney said, but the failed boat searches on Tuesday and Wednesday have raised some serious concerns about the safety of river, itself, concerns that one Nashville business owner couldn't help but raise.

The Cumberland River spans 688 miles, cutting a path through southern Kentucky and Middle Tennessee before connecting to the Ohio River. It runs through two major cities: Clarksville and Nashville. There are eight dams along the river, and the Tennessee Wildlife Resource Agency notes that it is often used by large barges for transporting goods.

If interested, more at link...

You could remove a sim card and factory reset a phone, but the IMEI number remains the same as it is part of the phone hardware, and as soon as it's turned back on, it will ping the closest tower and be traceable. I think we've learned this through other recent cases (Samantha Murphy, Madeline Soto, etc). JMO
You were quicker than I was re: IMEI :) Also, when you set up the phone with a provider, they ask for that IMEI number. I would think that if it was registered, it would pop up linked to his name. IMO and not positive.

The area where Strain was last seen was in a brushy area with cliffs that would make it nearly impossible for the missing student to have fallen into the river, Loney said, but the failed boat searches on Tuesday and Wednesday have raised some serious concerns about the safety of river, itself, concerns that one Nashville business owner couldn't help but raise.

The Cumberland River spans 688 miles, cutting a path through southern Kentucky and Middle Tennessee before connecting to the Ohio River. It runs through two major cities: Clarksville and Nashville. There are eight dams along the river, and the Tennessee Wildlife Resource Agency notes that it is often used by large barges for transporting goods.

If interested, more at link...

It is interesting, as it does look like a much harder area to find yourself in trouble than other nearby locations, and the expert here says it’s nearly impossible for him to have gone in there.

I wish we knew for a fact if that card had to have been dropped, vs somehow washing up. The water level obviously fluctuates, but it still looked too high on the bank to have been in the water.

I say this because if it did wash up, it would probably mean he went in further upstream.

Even if he just had one, it was never used.

He had an iPhone 15, which does not have a physical SIM card.

That phone would likely still be trackable for a period of time as well, even while off thanks to Apple’s crowdsourcing technology.

As for him falling in, we don’t know the specific spot. We do have a decent idea based on the location of his card though. He could have shimmied down, which would potentially limit any injuries too.

I’m not particularly bothered by no one hearing anything.
Great points!! Not only that, but imo most use face recognition or finger print entry.

Maybe it hasn't been stated directly by any one brothers in msm, but maybe Riley's phone was about to lose all battery?? I'm not sure.

Eta: Regardless, the phone theft theory seems highly unlikely.

MAR 18, 2024
[...]

“If an altercation, a physical altercation would’ve happened with Riley – a fight, an argument, or something – as family we’re hoping, man, that cop would’ve heard something. He’s down there looking for mischief,” close family friend Chris Dingman said. ...

Dingman said so far there were no signs of blood or Strain’s clothing in the area around the Cumberland River. He wondered if Riley had gotten into a vehicle.

[...]

Strain’s family told News 2 they had reviewed surveillance footage with police and were able to see footage of Strain inside Luke’s 32 Bridge, as well as near a food truck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member