Upcoming Book: “Unmasked: Crime Scenes, Cold Cases and My Hunt for the Golden State Killer”

mjm076

Reaction score
Paul Holes, the detective known for aiding cold case investigations — including the one that led to the arrest of the Golden State Killer — will publish a memoir, Unmasked: My Life Solving America’s Cold Cases, on April 26th, 2022 via Celadon Books.

The book will find Holes offering an inside look into the chilling investigations he’s worked on, including the Golden State Killer (real name Joseph DeAngelo), the murder of Laci Peterson, and the kidnapping of Jaycee Dugard. Holes will also offer some insight into his own life as he writes about the forces that have driven his career and the personal sacrifices he’s had to make to pursue this kind of work.

“My career has been simultaneously rewarding, frustrating, and traumatic as I worked to identify those predators that preyed on the innocent, hoping to make a difference for victims and their families,” Holes said in a statement. “Too often, I sacrificed my personal life — relationships, interests, fatherhood — in the obsessive hunt to catch murderers, most notably the Golden State Killer. By reflecting on the successes and failures in my career and personal life, I’ll show the gritty truth of detective work, and the tough decisions I’ve spent a lifetime grappling with in my pursuit of evil.”

First Paul Holes Helped the Catch Notorious Golden State Killer, Now He's Writing a Memoir

I thought those who still have an interest in the Jaycee Dugard case might be interested in this book as we really haven’t gotten any books about the investigation into Jaycee’s case other than the books by John Glatt and Robert Scott published in 2009.

Thank you! I will want to read his book. I love the podcast The Murder Squad he is on too. They mention it in the article link you posted.

Thank you! I will want to read his book. I love the podcast The Murder Squad he is on too. They mention it in the article link you posted.

SPOILERS!

So I purchased an ebook copy of Unmasked
earlier today and I was somewhat disappointed as he spent only a couple pages discussing the Jaycee Dugard case. He discusses how he and another investigator searched the Garrido property for evidence that he was involved in other crimes. He discusses the reaction he and his co-investigator had when they first came on the property, one obviously of horror at the conditions Jaycee and her daughters had to live in. The biggest role that Paul Holes played is that he is the one who found the trash can with the black garbage bag inside containing the VHS tapes which Garrido made of him sexually abusing Jaycee. However, that is the extent of his involvement.

I’m sure the book is great otherwise, but I thought he was more involved with the investigation. Perhaps one day we’ll get a book that combines Jaycee’s voice with the voices of her mom, her sister and the voices of those who were involved in investigating her abduction and who built the case against the Garrido’s.

SPOILERS!

So I purchased an ebook copy of Unmasked
earlier today and I was somewhat disappointed as he spent only a couple pages discussing the Jaycee Dugard case. He discusses how he and another investigator searched the Garrido property for evidence that he was involved in other crimes. He discusses the reaction he and his co-investigator had when they first came on the property, one obviously of horror at the conditions Jaycee and her daughters had to live in. The biggest role that Paul Holes played is that he is the one who found the trash can with the black garbage bag inside containing the VHS tapes which Garrido made of him sexually abusing Jaycee. However, that is the extent of his involvement.

I’m sure the book is great otherwise, but I thought he was more involved with the investigation. Perhaps one day we’ll get a book that combines Jaycee’s voice with the voices of her mom, her sister and the voices of those who were involved in investigating her abduction and who built the case against the Garrido’s.

Bummer. Thanks for the info. Unfortunately, I tend to have higher expectations than what we get. eye roll

Bummer. Thanks for the info. Unfortunately, I tend to have higher expectations than what we get. eye roll

I understand! Again, it might very well be a great book! But if one is looking for more detail about the investigation after Jaycee was rescued, that’s not in this book.

I do look forward to Shayna’s book which will provide some light on what it was like for her and maybe clarify what happened between Carl and Terry that led to him being left out of the reunion.

Perhaps someone who covers this case on a True Crime podcast will one day be able to get some of the detectives involved to talk about their investigation.

One thing I’m still curious about, besides the perspective of Shayna and even Jaycee’s daughters, is whether Katie Calloway, the woman Garrido abducted and raped back in the 1970’s, knew about Jaycee’s abduction. Part of me wonders whether if she had seen the posters and the coverage of Jaycee’s case on America’s Most Wanted would she have thought to tip off the investigators to look into Garrido?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back