Ruled out VA - John Pongel, 21 - Strange?? Could this be??

This still doesn't change my theory on John Pongel. I still think he is a possibility. It's possible that he could have given his ticket earlier in the day before the lightning incident happened.

You know I really like your theory. I find it odd that people are having problems tracking down this John Pongel.

I am trying to figure out how to gracefully contact the James Pongel in South Carolina that doublestop found. I mean, John Pongel isn't actually a missing person... we can't contact LE or any other missing persons network about him. Is it against TOS to contact someone like that? Guess I should go read all the rules.

ETA: Heck, maybe I should just ask if it is again TOS, LOL!

ETAM: Yep, against TOS, do not attempt this.

You know I really like your theory. I find it odd that people are having problems tracking down this John Pongel.

I tried to do a fast search of facebook for John Pongel and couldn't find him or anyone with that name. I'm not sure how old this Mr. Pongel would be, but I'm in my mid thirties and have a facebook account and so do the majority of people I went to high school with. So I do find it odd that he may not have one. It's weird, but who knows,lol.

The age of James A. Pongel is 77 from what I can see:

Attachments

• James Pangel.jpg
    James Pangel.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 31
John Pongel was the only guy that was hit by lightning that day. The person who posted the message below, cookingwithfat, says they rode in the ambulance to the show with his friend, and spent half that show at GW Medical Center with his friend before he told me to just go to the show as there was nothing I could do. I sat in the back of the stadium all the way up and just couldn't believe what had happened.

Hopefully I will get a reply back from this person letting me know about their friend.

RKnowley Wrote:

Could you tell me if the friend you mention in your post ( the one you say was hit by lightning) was a John Pongel? If so, did you ever see or hear from him after the show or after he was released from the hospital on June 26th? Thanks![/quote]
-----
Cookingwithfat wrote:

Reviewer: cookingwithfat - - May 7, 2009
Subject: Responce to old post
I little further down there is a post from a few years ago by Captain Trips 420 who said he thought this was the show that three people were struck by lightning. He is correct and I would like to report that all three survived and are fine today. One person was in a coma for a long time, however she came out of the coma and was totally fine. I would like to set the record straight on this issue, which is to say, despite Newspaper reporting to the contrary, none of the three were climbing a tree at the time. They were standing in a circle playing hacky sack. Anyway, there were two EMTs two cars away (from Vermont as I recall) and a cardiac nurse a few more cars down who saved the life of the one person who was in a coma. I rode the ambulance to the show with my friend, and spent half that show at GW Medical Center with my friend before he told me to just go to the show as there was nothing I could do. I sat in the back of the stadium all the way up and just couldn't believe what had happened.
http://www.archive.org/details/gd95-06-25.sbd.2236.sbefail.shnf

I was just thinking about the possibility that Mr. Pongel is JD. That would mean that the young man first got struck by lightning before a concert and then was the victim of a fatal car crash. Part of me wants to believe that had he been struck by lighting, he definitely would not have been hitching a ride. Would he have been physically able? Just a thought. Not trying to impede upon the investigation. It is curious that no one has been able to find any current information on Mr. Pongel.

A few days ago there was an article in the paper here about a man that had climbed a 14,000 foot mountain. When he was at the top a thunderstorm rolled in and he was struck by lightening. He was knocked out, but in the morning he woke up, and he walked down the mountain by himself w/ assistance. His fingers and legs/toes felt numb and tingly, but he could walk. Also, he had 'marks' on his elbows and legs... I'm assuming the marks were burns. So, John Pongel would have had burns on his body if he'd been struck by lightening. The article also said he doesn't remember being struck.

I tried looking for a news story, but all the ones I could find were real short and did not tell the specifics like the newspaper article I read.

Found one but still not very detailed: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/38602218/ns/local_news-minneapolisst_paul_mn/

I am not certain that John Pongel was actually hit by the lightning, or if he was just in the area when the lightning struck. He was brought to the hospital on Sunday, June 25, 1995 and was in stable condition at that time. He was released from the hospital on Monday, June 26, 1995, I am assuming that his injuries didn't amount to much if he was released the next day. He was probably only kept in the hospital overnight "under observation" and was released the next day.

I was just thinking about the possibility that Mr. Pongel is JD. That would mean that the young man first got struck by lightning before a concert and then was the victim of a fatal car crash. Part of me wants to believe that had he been struck by lighting, he definitely would not have been hitching a ride. Would he have been physically able? Just a thought. Not trying to impede upon the investigation. It is curious that no one has been able to find any current information on Mr. Pongel.

I just stumbled on this thread last night doing a random internet search. Most of the info and possible scenarios I've seen on this site are just plain wrong. But the confusion stems from the fact the newspaper printed Jon's name wrong in the first place. His last name isn't Pongle, so that is why no one can find him. I wouldn't want to give his actual last name since we lost touch years ago, but we do live in the same town and I run into some of our old mutual friends from time to time.

Yes there were 4 people hit by lightning that day. All of us were from Virginia. Jon did not die in a car accident, isn't 77, isn't from Danville, wasn't hitch hiking, etc. and Kira isn't an old Korean woman (but there are days I feel much older than I am thanks to young kids).

We were all college students and just happened to be at the wrong place at the wrong time. I kept up with Kristin's story for a couple years but it was so tragic there were times I just couldn't deal with it. I pray she was able to fully recover.

Kira

could it be possible his name was Jason John Pongel? (just a thought i am so not as good at this stuff as all of you are!!!)

Kristin Daniel is my cousin, I was 3 years old when this happened so I don't know all the details but I know what I have been told by my parents and the guy with her was her boyfriend. Kristin was struck by lightning and it went through her and then went through her boyfriend. She did survive and for the person that said she came out of the coma perfectly FINE is not true. She is blind and in a wheelchair. Her boyfriend did not die in a car accident. She was attending Radford University during the time of the accident.

I will answer questions and if I don't know the answer I will try and find out the answer to questions

I'm sorry to hear about Kristin... seems like even more bad luck at the concert.

Given the stories and the people who've posted, can we get a "Ruled out" on this thread or is it too early given that the posters maybe should be validated as having insider knowledge on this (peripheral) case?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back