NEW Who was the Phantom Marine?

DanielSickles

Reaction score
On March 7, 1945, William Willard Langston was declared killed in action on Iwo Jima. A body was found and buried. In January 1946 a limping man appeared in Newport, Arkansas, near where Langston had grown up, claiming to be Langston.

The Man With the Limp encountered many people who had known Langston and his family well and convinced them that he was him. (Langston hadn't lived in the area for about ten years, so it's not totally surprising that he wasn't instantly recognized as Langston). The Man With the Limp stayed for about 36 hours, spending the night at the home of a man who had known Langston since childhood. He said he was on his way to a veterans' hospital in Oklahoma. The Man With the Limp hitchhiked to Conway, Arkansas, in the direction of Oklahoma. There was a reported sighting in Ft. Smith, on the Oklahoma border, but I believe that tip was called in by none other than the Man himself, as the story had already made national headlines, and he was the subject of a four state manhunt. Langston's mother received a letter from someone claiming to be her son, repeating his intention to go to an Oklahoma hospital.

Langston's biological family, his parents and siblings, raced to Newport, but missed the Man. Their investigation confirmed for them that it was their brother/son. Langston's wife/widow and eight year old son drove down from Michigan with the man she had married weeks earlier. Finding no answers, she resolved to get on with her life.

Then, an identification card was found in Ripley, Tennessee, outside of Memphis, bearing the name William Langston. A letter was sent to the editor of the Memphis Press Scimitar, claiming to be from Langston, saying that he had arrived in Memphis, attempted to visit June Queen (a famous murder defendant who looked like Shirley Temple but had bludgeoned a grown man with a hammer - she had no connection to Langston), and finding that June Queen had been extradited, left town.

The Man With the Limp was never heard from again. I need help to solve this mystery.<modsnip> Please feel free to ask me anything. I believe this can be solved.

Last edited by a moderator:
Solved?

What is your question?

Do you hope to establish that the limping man was Langston, who somehow arrived back in the US from the Pacific Theater without any help from Uncle Sam -- an entity not inclined to transport anyone they've already buried.

Or do you hope to identify an imposter?

Has the son used 23&Me or another genetic genealogy service?

My only interest is in figuring out what happened. The family is planning to test the remains buried at a military cemetery in Hawaii. If it's not him, perhaps we can find out who was buried there and what happened to Langston after Memphis. If it is him, I'm hoping we can figure out who the imposter was. I think it had to be someone from his unit, and considering there were only ten survivors, that's highly possible.

Thanks to @DanielSickles for bringing this case to Web Sleuths. However, calling him the Man with the Limp or the Limping Man, echoes too many horror movies for me. I prefer calling him Pseudo-Langston, a la Pseudo-Dionysius :D

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back