CO CO - Garfield Co, WhtMale 35-65, 789UMCO, skeletal in tent, Sep'04

The thought that this UID might be Fisher (or even another fugitive) makes a lot of sense to me and explains a couple of things, including the 20 packs of cigarettes. A fugitive might simply find an out of the way spot to camp and hide out for a while. So he's got the games to entertain himself and the cigarettes to last for a while. A weekend hiker wouldn't need 20 packs of cigarettes. I've backpacked for years and never took along games of any kind--too tired at the end of the day. But a camper? someone who's staying in one place? Yes, the games then make sense. Also, the money in the plastic bags makes more sense that way (and the amount). I would never take that much money on a backpacking trip or a camping trip.

And the "Lib" that the notes seem to be addressed to, might well be the person who was helping him.

Very great points!

It was a few years ago I first looked at this case (the unidentified) and I always find myself coming back thinking of new ideas. I discover the Radio Shack "4 in 1" game manual was last written September 18, 2000, but there is no telling if this is a revision. If not, this could push the earliest time of death ahead.

One thing I noticed is that I can no longer find all the larger photos from the news articles. They're gone. The Doe Network has some, but they're small with less detail. :(

Bumping for John Doe. I wonder if he originally did have some form of ID with him, but it got taken off by wildlife or something. Otherwise, how else did he want to be identified? He didn't seem to be trying to conceal his identity, and it looks like he meant for "Lib" to get his note. How, if he was not identifiable?

Vspin, did you submit the possible match with Fisher? Reading the articles linked from Fisher's Wikipedia page, I saw something I'd missed before:

http://www.azcentral.com/specials/special22/articles/0404fisher04.html

And although evidence exists that Fisher may have been plotting an escape to the woods by buying a new water purifier the night before the murders...

The UID was found with a "sweetwater water-filtration kit."

Just throwing this in. I've had multiple tests and X-rays on my back. I have scoliosis in my upper back and a couple degenerative discs in my lower back. But it does not prevent me from doing anything I want to do. It looks bad enough for the drs I have seen to recommend surgery. I have occaisional back pain for which I will take Tylenol or a muscle relaxer. But it is no where near as bad as it looks on X-ray. Perhaps this is the case with this Doe.

I need to make a couple of corrections from earlier statements by me. First, I said no coinage was found, but that is incorrect. Second, I said the heart drawing contained a bell, a cat, and a crucifix. Scratch the crucifix. I thought I'd read that in the Doenetwork file for this UID, but it was another Websleuther who'd said it was a cross. Looks more like a totem or a poorly executed drawing of an animal of some sort to me. A good close up of the drawing can be found on the video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UOgHe1IHu4

Looked up No Name Creek Trail, and found it. No Name Creek Trail is described as the Glenwood Springs locals' secret hiking trail. It runs along No Name Creek as would be expected. To get to the trailhead you'd take the first exit north and east of town.

Glenwood Springs is served by rail, Amtrak.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Altitude_sickness
I'm wondering if this guy wasn't suffering from that, and it killed him? His smoking and his age could have made him a good candidate for a more serious form of altitude sickness.

Has anyone here been in contact with the Glenwood Springs PD? There are some unanswered questions that they could likely clear up, like for instance, extra clothing that might have been in the backpack, other methods of fire starting besides 8 lighters and a magnifying glass. A magnifying glass would be useless without sunshine. I just can't imagine the guy wouldn't have had a magnesium stick or a knife of some kind.

Maybe the guy was used to day hiking, but had little experience in backpacking or else he was suffering mental impairment when he started out.

Decipher....
heart
cat
cross

bell
etc.... your ideas?what does it mean as a unit? Names? places both?

please

somebody needs to get a computer generated skull face from the skull..

It appears Robert Fisher is a ruleout for this UID. I emailed the Garfield County Sheriff's office on Dec. 12 asking if this possible match had been compared, and received this reply from the Investigations Commander (I'm not sure if it's okay to post his name):

Thank you for your inquiry. I am not at liberty to provide you with details but I will tell you that this lead has been followed up on and exhausted. Thank you for your information.

Vspin, I hope you don't mind that I asked about the possible match you suggested. I was really hoping this WAS a match. Considering how heinous Fisher's crimes were, it would have been a fitting end if he'd died alone in the woods writing to someone who never came back for him. Now we're back with the likelihood that this is an innocent camper who succumbed to injuries, the elements or suicide and was never found by whoever he spent his last days writing to.

It's odd that the UID had two plastic zipper bags and yet he didn't seal the notepad in them to preserve it in case he wasn't found very soon after his death. Was he expecting "Lib" to arrive at the campsite on a specific date, but he wasn't sure he'd make it to that day? Or was he not lucid enough in his final moments to think to seal up the notebook?

There's no evidence that this UID committed any crime, but his statistics are similar to another man wanted for the same type of crime as Fisher.

William Bradford Bishop Jr., wanted since 1976 for murdering his family, was recently added to the FBI's Ten Most Wanted list:

http://www.fbi.gov/wanted/topten

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local...2eb390-c0a5-11e3-b195-dd0c1174052c_story.html

http://www.kjrh.com/news/national/f...murders-suspect-placed-on-10-most-wanted-list

* Bishop was 6 feet 1 inch -- UID was 6 feet 0 inches
* Bishop had a six-inch vertical surgical scar on his lower back -- UID "most likely suffering severe back pain"
* Bishop would have been 63 in 1999 -- the UID was "anywhere from 35 to 65"
* Bishop was an avid camper and hiker -- the UID evidently was also
* Bishop "might keep a journal" -- the UID wrote in a notebook
* Bishop had a Yale education -- the UID wrote in what I'd consider an eloquent style (though he misspelled "memorial")

An extreme long shot, but Bishop is thought to have two items in his possession he'd never part with: his father's Smith & Wesson .38-caliber revolver and his Yale cignet ring. A portion of the UID's notebook read: "ar on the . . . would you call her...d have it sent...you because I . . . want it to . . . where."

Maybe this was a request to "Lib" to retrieve his favorite belongings? "WITH MY GRADUATION YEar on the ring...would you call her ANd have it sent TO you because I DON'T want it to BE LOST ANYwhere."

In the image below, the UID's notebook is on the left and Bishop's passport is on the right. Both printing samples are upper-case with lower-case "i's" and "p's" thrown in the mix.

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u316/Rollerwings/handwriting_zps05dfdae1.jpg

The family passport photo is image #44 on this page: http://www.nbcwashington.com/invest...nt-for-William-Bradford-Bishop-254602021.html

I'm not sure if that is Bishop's printing, though -- would this be something he'd write in his own passport or would an official have written it for him?

Bishop's dental records show many fillings, and Doe Network states the UID "had extensive dental work, including gold work, crowns, bridges and fillings in almost all his teeth, suggesting the man had money."

http://www.fbi.gov/news/stories/201...fbi-top-ten-list/photo-gallery-dental-records

Is there a photo of the skull available somewhere?

:seeya:
when this case was first out.I did copy the picture from the website
in the pic was the skull.
That was a while ago.
I will look to see if I still have the pics?
if not/
How would a person go about requesting the pictures from all sides of the skull from the sheriff there?
they now have those 3 d printers I wonder if a picture could be turned into a skull replica of this man?
does it cost anything to have the sheriff get pictures or is it public knowledge now? Public records?
I really want to see a skull of this subject...:seeya:

Carl, do you have any idea where this thread might have disappeared to? The link gives an error and search doesn't find it either. We had a bunch of research in there about the camping equipment, the maps and the routes he might have followed, etc. I hope it's not lost.

:please:

I really want to see a resolution to this case
because he did leave a notebook and money and instructions to a "LIB"
who is she/he anyway and where is the person?:banghead:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members