Child taken from womb by social services

TrackerSam

Reaction score
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukn...Child-taken-from-womb-by-social-services.html

Exclusive: Essex social services have obtained a court order against a woman that allowed her to be forcibly sedated and for her child to be taken from her womb by caesarean section.

The council said it was acting in the best interests of the woman, an Italian who was in Britain on a work trip, because she had suffered a mental breakdown.

The baby girl, now 15 months old, is still in the care of social services, who are refusing to give her back to the mother, even though she claims to have made a full recovery.

The case has developed into an international legal row, with lawyers for the woman describing it as “unprecedented”.

They claim that even if the council had been acting in the woman’s best interests, officials should have consulted her family beforehand and also involved Italian social services, who would be better-placed to look after the child.

Brendan Fleming, the woman’s British lawyer, told The Sunday Telegraph: “I have never heard of anything like this in all my 40 years in the job.

She didn't have a mental breakdown, she had a PANIC attack. This agency should be investigated thoroughly! This was utterly ridiculous!

What an upsetting story. It is anathema to me that a court could order anyone to be forcibly sedated, let alone to also undergo a forcible surgery and abduction of her child. And what about the doctors involved in this? Don't they take an oath to "do no harm?"

She didn't have a mental breakdown, she had a PANIC attack. This agency should be investigated thoroughly! This was utterly ridiculous!

Definitely! If this doesn't get fixed and the child returned to her mother, what would happen if other pregnant women have one panic attack? Would they have their babies taken too?

It is an outrage, one that is beyond horrific. Many people have panic attacks or are bi polar (i believe that was said as well) and are perfectly wonderful parents because they are on medication.

This goes back to the days of Bedlam where those with any mental issues had no rights at all and women were routinely separated from their children. Not even there do i think they would force a caesarian.

I am so glad the chief judge has taken over the case to investigate

I thought there must be more to this story. Not so outrageous after all.

www.essex.gov.uk/News/Pages/Essex-C...headlined-Essex-removes-baby-from-mother.aspx

Your link was 404'd, but here is a copy of the judgement.

http://www.judiciary.gov.uk/Resources/JCO/Documents/Judgments/re-p-a-child-approved-judgment.pdf

These headlines, "forcible removed", "against her will" etc, anger me because they are really presented by the defense and then everyone runs with them.

While this is definitely a complicated legal matter, and because of the privacy of child welfare proceedings (which is a bit less inflammatory language than "secret court) the circumstances are still somewhat nebulous. But based on this court record, there is indeed a history here, involving her two older children who are being raised by their grandparents.

Yes, people with Bi-polar can raise children. IMO, from what I'm gleaning, this woman has a history of non-compliance with a treatment plan for her mental condition, which has led to unsafe and extreme manic episodes which have indeed affected her children.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bosie
Back